What do you think of this grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find a good general purpose grease that we could use throughout our farm. On trucks, loaders, and high speed applications. I've looked at a ton of posts on this forum and then I checked different product sites and I think I might look into the Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp #2. It has a lithium base like most of the greases we've used in the past and has the GC-LB certification so its good for chassis use and also seems to give excellent protection for pins in construction equipment. The JT-6 seems to be a very popular choice around here so do you think it should work for everything like I'm hoping?

It will absolutely work out well. There are places where a grease with Moly will work better (center zerk on a double-caradan joint, for example, or a sliding yoke) and places where an alumnium grease will work better (boat trailer bearings), but for ONE grease for all usages around a farm---trucks, tractors--- implements, etc., nothing beats Lithium Complex---and Mystik JT-6 Hi Temp. NLGI #2 is very much a top-performing LC.

I'm going to go to our local tractor supply in the morning and see if they have any of that type in stock. I looked a little further on the Mystik website and would like to try that they have with the Moly in it. I called another supplier we work with and ordered a box of this Conoco XD-3 3% moly and see what that looks like. I looked up the specs for it and it sounds really good and the price isn't too bad. Then there was another place I swung by this morning and they gave me a tube of Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty, Lucas Red & Tacky and a tube of Castrol grease. I also have a tube of #238 Schaeffer's. I like the Schaeffer's a lot but it costs about $1 a tube more than any of the others. The Schaeffers is so thick and tacky it seems like it'd be tough to use on equipment that's been out in zero degrees over the winter. I also like the Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty but it doesn't have moly in it either. I should have a good idea by the end of the week what I want to go with. The stuff we had been using wasn't terrible but after looking around on this forum and actually reading some spec sheets, I realize we could have been doing a lot better for not much more cost.

Schaeffer's 238 grease is thick and tacky. Which is good. Except in the Winter. Most switch to #1 or Schaeffer 274 grease for winter use.

I bought a box of this Conoco xd-3. It's a lithium grease and it has 3% moly. It's not quite as tacky as the Schaeffers but seems to have a pretty good staying ability. I'll see how this box goes and go from there. Thanks for all the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back