Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven

Welcome to BITOG and AWESOME ride! Any pics of the interior?

Sorry I missed your post earlier, Here are some pictures of the Interior, Nothing to write home about, the Mustang Interior is bland and "platicky" looking

passdash.jpg

aeroforceintercepter017.jpg

Moodlighting2.jpg

AVICstartup.jpg

avic-d1-mustang1.jpg

Here are two good sites to check out regarding RP.

Google http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74467

click on "Motor oil test" read about the RP 10W-40 and Racing 51

While this is not 5W-20 they had NO WEAR with the 10W-40 and removed the oil flow and had NO WEAR with the Racing 51

Then Google http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Test.pdf and read about some cases where RP was tried. It would be more informative if they were talking about using it for several oil changes in a row.

JimPghPa

The animegame link later had to post a rebuttal.

Using a gear oil test on motor oil is incredibly misleading.

I was cleaning out the Garage to find Christmas Lights and I stumbled upon my Stock Cams, They were just wiped down no cleaner then I took some Pictures, Remember these have 73,000 miles on them.

PDRM1864.jpg

PDRM1865.jpg

PDRM1875.jpg

Acceptable Wear?
I used Royal Purple since 3000 miles, and changes the Oil every 5k-6K

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Its a roller valvetrain. I would expect them to look fine no matter what oil you used.

I went over my Friends house just now to shoot some pictures of his CAMS.
He has a 2007 GT and pulled the Cams at 30,000 miles, he replace the heads with Livernois Stage II and COMP Stage III (127600)He have Always Used Mobil 1 Oil and Filter and nothing else, changed Oil between 4K-5K miles. His Name is Marcspaz on the forums.

PDRM1880.jpg

PDRM1882.jpg

PDRM1883.jpg

PDRM1887.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, now I know why M1 has so much iron in their UOA's! The RP cams look new by comparison, and with more than double the miles to boot. I'd say that extra $1 a quart for RP is worth it!

Last edited:
Its a roller valvetrain. I would expect them to look fine no matter what oil you used.

I've seen many roller cam setups which have alot of cam lobe wear,with fewer miles.

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt

He has a 2007 GT and pulled the Cams at 30,000 miles, he replace the heads with Livernois Stage II and COMP Stage III (127600)He have Always Used Mobil 1 Oil and Filter and nothing else, changed Oil between 4K-5K miles. His Name is Marcspaz on the forums.

PDRM1880.jpg

PDRM1882.jpg

PDRM1883.jpg

PDRM1887.jpg

Would you be able to re-take the pics of your cams using the same level of light as you used on his? There is a lot more "flash" in the pics of his.

That being said, there are some pretty pronounced "tracks" on the back (or front)side of the lobes on his. Was he running 5w20 or 5w30? Were these the cams out of the "dealer replacement" engine that you posted the UOA for?

Originally Posted By: DragRace

I've seen many roller cam setups which have alot of cam lobe wear,with fewer miles.

None of the ones I've had apart ever have? That includes the stock cams out of both my 302's, as well as my buddy's 4.6L 2000 GT...etc.

Any particular brand you've had this with?

PDRM1880.jpg

PDRM1882.jpg

PDRM1883.jpg

PDRM1887.jpg

Would you be able to re-take the pics of your cams using the same level of light as you used on his? There is a lot more "flash" in the pics of his.

That being said, there are some pretty pronounced "tracks" on the back (or front)side of the lobes on his. Was he running 5w20 or 5w30? Were these the cams out of the "dealer replacement" engine that you posted the UOA for?

Mobil 1 5w20 No these cams were out of a factory Stock Engine. The UOA I posted was from a Friend (Adam) these are from Marc's Car another friend and Business Partner in FiveGuysRacing.com.

I will shoot some more Pictures without the backdrop maybe that will help.

None of the ones I've had apart ever have? That includes the stock cams out of both my 302's, as well as my buddy's 4.6L 2000 GT...etc.

2 track cars: One out of a 90GT with stock 302 cam,heads,nitrous car.The second out of a 4.6 with vortech supercharger,everything else stock.

Dont recall what brand of oil was used.

Not limited to track vehicles,we've seen at least 4-every day driven street vehicles that we've worked on in the last year.I'd have to check customers records to see what oil was used.

As nice as roller cam setups are,and the little friction they have,they still are subjected to poor oil lubrication,even with the oils available today.

2 track cars: One out of a 90GT with stock 302 cam,heads,nitrous car.The second out of a 4.6 with vortech supercharger,everything else stock.

Dont recall what brand of oil was used.

Not limited to track vehicles,we've seen at least 4-every day driven street vehicles that we've worked on in the last year.I'd have to check customers records to see what oil was used.

As nice as roller cam setups are,and the little friction they have,they still are subjected to poor oil lubrication,even with the oils available today.

What oil was in the Fox? I'm curious because I have a lot of experience with 302's.... Mine's probably had every oil grade in existence through it and the stock cam was perfect.

PDRM1880.jpg

PDRM1882.jpg

PDRM1883.jpg

PDRM1887.jpg

Mobil 1 5w20 No these cams were out of a factory Stock Engine. The UOA I posted was from a Friend (Adam) these are from Marc's Car another friend and Business Partner in FiveGuysRacing.com.

I will shoot some more Pictures without the backdrop maybe that will help.

Is it possible for you to borrow his stockers and take pictures of them next to yours?

Is it possible for you to borrow his stockers and take pictures of them next to yours?

And also, please consider posting them in a new thread, info/comparisons like that are worthy of it!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That "article" was not actually written by Amsoil.

Do you know who wrote the article? All I could find was this under the first portion "Note: This information was provided by AMSOIL, Inc. Tech Department. An independent lab tested the Royal Purple 20W-50 racing oil against the AMSOIL 20W-50 racing oil. The results are posted above. Test results found Moly in the Royal Purple oil sample."

Sure, He only lives 5 Min away, My Wife thinks I am Nuts running back and forth
I will do it in the Morning, it's a bit Late now.

Here are a couple I took with different light..

PDRM1911.jpg

PDRM1903.jpg

PDRM1908.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back