Auto RX Skeptic turned Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Brent honesty isn't your strong point is it?

My honesty certainly was not my strong point when I was an ARX Moderator, my posts were obviously over embellished and the mistake I made is that I should have waited until I was done with the whole arx process before posting my results.

I did start using MMO in April of 2009 and I did wait awhile before posting because I wanted to get some observations under my belt before I started posting about the product.

From my observations I feel that some of these oil additives that cost less than $5.00 a bottle are just as good or BETTER than auto-rx that costs $25.00

I remember a conversation I had with an arx moderator and he told me isn't it strange that I am seeing better results with MMO that is a cheaper product versus ARX which is a more expensive product, he said it should be the other way around. When you spend a couple of dollars on an oil additive and it does not work it is not a big deal, but when you spend $25.00 on an oil additive you expect to see and feel results, the more money you spend on an oil additive it seems logical that your expectations would be higher.

When you look at products like:

1) Schaeffer's Neutra
2) MMO
3) Rislone

These 3 products have 2 things in common, there application instructions do not change and they work.

I invite members to look at my posts since August of 2009 when I started showing my observations about MMO, I would think other members results with MMO would show that I am being honest. I now see that some members are now looking at other products like LC20 and Rislone.

I just think that a few members are upset because I brought facts to everyone about the limitations of arx. If arx was a perfect product then I would have found nothing. I never found any problems with MMO, Neutra, and Rislone. The posts I found about arx were from members own observations.

Again, as I said before, if you have any questions about anything I have posted on this board and you have questions or concerns about my HONESTY then members can PM me, I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When I bought A-Rx I bought it with trying to stop a leak in mind, and do some cleaning. What I discovered was this, actually it is pretty basic. You can't clean something that isn't dirty. I believe the MMO cleaned and kept my engine clean, what I was hoping for was the leak to stop, which in fact it did, something MMO was not able to do. It came back during the OC following the final A-Rx rinse, at that point I was not adding MMO to the oil I was using 4 oz of A-Rx. You won't see me bashing the product because not all problems can be solved with additives. I might try a HM oil now, but in all honesty the leak isn't bad enough to upset me.

I had mentioned to c3po that sometimes changing chemistry to clean something up is a good idea, and to give MMO a shot. His complaint was after 24,000 miles and a lot of filters he'd be done, and have a clean engine.

It doesn't matter to me what a person uses to clean his engine, I keep an open mind, read a lot and am not afraid to experiment with my beater. I have over the years seen first hand what MMO can do with cleaning and I've always been impressed. I've also read about a lot of A-Rx success stories. If a person wants to try it I say go for it, they offer a guarantee if you're not happy with it you really have nothing to fear, and can always try something else.

I will however call a product out that makes claims that defy logic, neither of these products make such claims.

Demarpaint, can you elaborate on the leak that you were trying to treat? Was this a new-to-you car that had a leak, or was this a car that developed a leak after following your regular MMO protocol?

Cheers,

Jeff

c3po,

When you say that MMO is working "better" for you, what is your definition of "better"? In your particular case, it would seem to be hard to draw any conclusions regarding MMO's efficacy compared to ARX, since you're using MMO in engines that have already completed an ARX clean/rinse cycle.

From reading people's accounts on here that MMO keeps their engine clean, it would seem that MMO is a very good product, particularly on a cost/benefit analysis basis.

I will say that your experience with ARX is contrary to my own. I don't think that either of the cars that I've used it in were sludged or extremely dirty and the in both cases the filters came out looking not much different than on previous non-ARX changes. However, in both cars I observed increased and/or normalized compression across cylinders, so I'm fairly certain that some cleaning was done. Perhaps an MMO treatment would have yielded the same results (and I regret not having tried it first, but it is not available in Canada) for much less cost.

Cheers,

Jeff

Originally Posted By: SL8R
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When I bought A-Rx I bought it with trying to stop a leak in mind, and do some cleaning. What I discovered was this, actually it is pretty basic. You can't clean something that isn't dirty. I believe the MMO cleaned and kept my engine clean, what I was hoping for was the leak to stop, which in fact it did, something MMO was not able to do. It came back during the OC following the final A-Rx rinse, at that point I was not adding MMO to the oil I was using 4 oz of A-Rx. You won't see me bashing the product because not all problems can be solved with additives. I might try a HM oil now, but in all honesty the leak isn't bad enough to upset me.

I had mentioned to c3po that sometimes changing chemistry to clean something up is a good idea, and to give MMO a shot. His complaint was after 24,000 miles and a lot of filters he'd be done, and have a clean engine.

It doesn't matter to me what a person uses to clean his engine, I keep an open mind, read a lot and am not afraid to experiment with my beater. I have over the years seen first hand what MMO can do with cleaning and I've always been impressed. I've also read about a lot of A-Rx success stories. If a person wants to try it I say go for it, they offer a guarantee if you're not happy with it you really have nothing to fear, and can always try something else.

I will however call a product out that makes claims that defy logic, neither of these products make such claims.

Demarpaint, can you elaborate on the leak that you were trying to treat? Was this a new-to-you car that had a leak, or was this a car that developed a leak after following your regular MMO protocol?

Cheers,

Jeff

It is a 93 Aerostar that I owned for about 10 years and I had logged about 115,000 miles on. I had the leak for many years, slow from the rear main seal. As I said MMO did nothing in terms of stopping the leak, it has probably been slowly leaking for about 100,000 miles now, nice and slow.

I read a lot about A-Rx here as many did and thought I'd give it a try. I followed the directions to the letter, and changed filters halfway through the clean and rinse phase of the first treatment. I did two clean and rinse cycles. I expected filters loaded and heavy as a brick, they were exactly the same as any filter I ever removed from that engine. I also thought my oil would come out like black tar. That didn't happen either.

As mentioned above the leak stopped for a while [at least it appeared to have stopped], and then it came back. I had discontinued MMO use and was on the A-Rx maint dose when the leak came back. I'm not saying the product was bad, I'm saying the leak came back. I am also saying that my guess is my filters were light, and my oil wasn't black like tar because the engine was clean to begin with.

10 years is a long time and it is quite possible that seal was leaking since I bought the car. I paid more attention to it because I bought the A-Rx with resolving that issue in mind. This vehicle is considered to be our beater, not neglected but certainly not a car I am going to do major work on to fix a slow leak. If it were my Jeep or E-150 it would be another story.

Originally Posted By: SL8R
c3po,

When you say that MMO is working "better" for you, what is your definition of "better"? In your particular case, it would seem to be hard to draw any conclusions regarding MMO's efficacy compared to ARX, since you're using MMO in engines that have already completed an ARX clean/rinse cycle.

From reading people's accounts on here that MMO keeps their engine clean, it would seem that MMO is a very good product, particularly on a cost/benefit analysis basis.

I will say that your experience with ARX is contrary to my own. I don't think that either of the cars that I've used it in were sludged or extremely dirty and the in both cases the filters came out looking not much different than on previous non-ARX changes. However, in both cars I observed increased and/or normalized compression across cylinders, so I'm fairly certain that some cleaning was done. Perhaps an MMO treatment would have yielded the same results (and I regret not having tried it first, but it is not available in Canada) for much less cost.

Cheers,

Jeff

When I added 16 ounces of MMO to my oil 500 miles before my OCI the car just felt like it had more power and it was more responsive. I remember when I changed the oil that had MMO in there and it came out darker and the oil poured out faster. I have a drain plug with a magnet on there, with arx there was always a little bit of black goo on it, when I drained the oil that had MMO in there it was spotless. When I did the oil change I did not add MMO back into the engine as Demarpaint had told me too add MMO again 500 miles before my oil change, I took the car for a ride and it did not feel as responsive, so I put the car back on the lift and drained about half a quart of oil and added 16 ounces of MMO and the engine seemed very happy.

The only times I noticed a difference with arx was when I did an oil filter change and about 800 miles into the treatment.

I did a Clean and Rinse with arx on my Marauder and I noticed a difference in this car when I added 12 ounces of MMO 500 miles before my oil change during the Rinse Phase. Again the oil that was drained out did come out darker than any previous oil change on this car.

On the El Camino arx did not clean up the small amount of crud in my cylinder heads after using arx for 24,000 miles, but MMO cleaned everything up in about 7000 miles.

If my El Camino with 367,000 miles at the time and my Marauder with 33,000 miles at the time were clean then why did my oil come out darker after using MMO both times, my observations tell me that since MMO is thinner than arx it got into places and cleaned things up that arx missed or just could not get too.

Everyone of us are going to have different experiences with whatever oil additive we use since our engines and our drivng styles are not the same.

I believe products like Neutra, Rislone, and MMO are going to clean the ring packs just as well as arx. The disadvantage to arx versus these other oil additives just comes down to price, if a cheaper oil additive does the same thing as a more expensive oil additive then it makes sense to try a cheaper oil additive.

Believing and knowing as you know are two entirely different things. Many people have documented that ARX cleans rings. There is data to back it up. MMO not so much... I could really care less about all of the varnish being eliminated from a given engine, I'm more about restored performance/lubrication.

So brent, when are you going to be straight with us? Come clean on why you are so bitter towards Frank and ARX... I have a feeling if you don't, someone else will.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back