Auto RX Skeptic turned Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither is MMO. Some have great success with it. Nothing works for everyone. Penicillin is great, but if you're allergic to it..... Doesn't mean it's snake oil though.

Originally Posted By: expat
Without the sugestion my comments come from the landfill?
Really I expecter better from Gary Allan. I know he was a Arx supprter, but not that he was one of the sheep! (Orwell's; Animal Farm)

expat..this is a never ending saga here in this thread. Oddly, it's kept Auto-Rx bumped to the top of the forum. Most of the posts are about alternatives and whatnot.

Why not just post a thread about the alternative products?

While I would characterize my association and use of Auto-Rx as more than familiar, I don't really have a problem with someone having a problem with it. If you didn't find value in it ..fine. Not a biggie.

...but this here is some funky "vendetta" of some weird sort and I really can't comprehend it.

..but I'm sure that the perpetual bumping this to the top is a good thing for someone.

I use MMO ..not all the time ..and after finding this product ..I have no desire to use it in oil. I'll use it in fuel from time to time. I've mostly found that Auto-Rx has mostly ended my need for such things. I may do a prophylactic purge every 75k or so just for good measure.

...but if others find value in anything ..use it and be well.

..but while you're expecting higher standards from me, please expect minimal standards from others.

Really I expecter better from Gary Allan. I know he was a Arx supprter, but not that he was one of the sheep! (Orwell's; Animal Farm)

I know this is a HOT THREAD but if you want to say something about Gary Allan it would be better to air any personal feelings towards him in a PM.

I read a post here where a member was so sick of this arx and MMO fighting that he went out and bought some Rislone.

Gary likes arx and I like MMO, if you want to attack an oil additive that's fine, but attacking a member on the open forum is not right, if you want to bash Gary Allan for his stance or association with arx please take it over to PM Land.

Funny, I remember talking to frank about a year ago and him mentioning Brent and how he was in support of the product and was getting bashed for it here. So lets hear it brent, what's your issue?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c3po

I know this is a HOT THREAD but if you want to say something about Gary Allan it would be better to air any personal feelings towards him in a PM.

I read a post here where a member was so sick of this arx and MMO fighting that he went out and bought some Rislone.

Gary likes arx and I like MMO, if you want to attack an oil additive that's fine, but attacking a member on the open forum is not right, if you want to bash Gary Allan for his stance or association with arx please take it over to PM Land.

If you read my post, I was not so much criticising Gary as as others on this Forum, that jump in and Hen Peck anyone that disagrees.
This site (BITOG) would be a very boring place if we were all, always, in agreement.
I thought it was a place for friendly discussion?
Gary is right, there IS a sickness in this Forum. Only WE, the members can cure it.
Is it that, at times, some products appear to get posts that appear to be sales promotions?
and this promotes a knee jerk reaction from those that disagree? Perhaps.
I think this was the case back in the days of Frank (the Arx guy)
Lets move on!

If you read my post, I was not so much criticising Gary as as others on this Forum, that jump in and Hen Peck anyone that disagrees.
This site (BITOG) would be a very boring place if we were all, always, in agreement.
I thought it was a place for friendly discussion?
Gary is right, there IS a sickness in this Forum. Only WE, the members can cure it.
Is it that, at times, some products appear to get posts that appear to be sales promotions?
and this promotes a knee jerk reaction from those that disagree? Perhaps.
I think this was the case back in the days of Frank (the Arx guy)
Lets move on!

Frank did more to discredit his product and create enemies by talking behind people's backs then anyone here has!

There's a reason why this board has been known as a marketing tool for a few products and has produced an army of skeptics: because discussion of other products was squelched by Frank and a few other hit men!

At least now other products can be freely discussed, for the most part.

Quote:
At least now other products can be freely discussed, for the most part.

Unless you're posting about Auto-Rx. Then you get chased off by "the crew". TallPaul innocently stepped into a meat grinder of poison.

..and, yes, Frank surely did not do himself or the product the best service in his posting.

LC20 levels the TBN, reduces oxidation, provides an extra measure of lubricity, provides extra rust control, and will literally melt (soften and emulsify) carbonaceous deposits. It then places these carbonaceous deposits into the oil solution.

If we look at LC20 we can see that the product softens and emulsifies the deposits and then places it in the oil solution so your oil filter does not get loaded up with stuff as opposed to arx which breaks off deposits that can clog your oil filter. If your oil filter goes into bypass you have junk floating around your engine.

I have seen plenty of arx filter posts where people claim they have grit in there oil filters, there is no doubt arx works to a point, but I would rather use a product like LC20 that is not going to have me buying extra oil filters.

Is there a problem with arx in transmissions, the answer is NO, becuase a screened trans filter traps down to 100 microns and a felt trans filter traps down to 60 microns.

Is there a problem with arx in powersteering systems and differentials, NO, that's because they do not have any type of oil filter.

In an engine we use oil filters that may have a micron rating of 19 microns or less, these particles that arx breaks off are much bigger and they just get trapped in the oil filter reducing oil flow and eventually going into bypass.

Then there is price, if you buy a gallon of LC20 with shipping it comes out to .38 cents an ounce.

If you were to buy 3 bottles of arx that comes out to $1.83 an ounce, by 10 bottles of arx and you are still looking at almost $1.33 an ounce.

I have not used LC20 but I did gather some information and I may eventually use the product.

I have a question about the size of junk found in the filter when using arx. I've seen these bits that are much larger than the openings in the screen that protects the inlet side of the oil pickup. Can it be that they arive in small bits and recombine in the filter as the junk builds up.

The only damage I've seen because of large bits has been because they get caught in the inlet side of the pickup screen, never in the filter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Then you get chased off by "the crew".

Oil additive opinions aren't a zero sum game, Gary.
crackmeup2.gif

For years and years, the furor and scare tactics with which the Auto-RX cabal and it's cohorts came down on ANYONE who dared praise a different product or criticize the sweet magic, expensive nectar that is Auto-RX, makes the current backlash against the product look like a a fight between two 6 year old girls.

Just like your theory of economics, don't be surprised when people who were run through the oil additive meat grinder and stabbed behind the back aren't thrilled to get some payback.

Frank and the Auto-RX cabal did some pretty nasty things that I think only a handful of people on this site know about.

But, OTOH, the MMO fanatics have gone a little overboard here and there as well.

Last edited:
Somehow I feel like when people are referring to "The Crew", that I am a part of it. I feel I know enough about A-Rx to comment about it, and no I am not bashing it. My father used MMO for years, and read about A-rX on this site back in the day when the owner and a few of his guys would defend it like a mother defending a child. Anyhow my dad tried it, 2 treatments, he had been an avid MMO user, and thought he'd try it on a car he bought with an known service history. In all honesty his remarks were there was nothing A-rX could do that MMO couldn't do. Then went on to say MMO did it faster and for less, and cleaned up varnish really well, as well as sludge, and quiet things down.

It seems there are still a few guys who still defend A-rX, and to some of us it gets a little old. Then again the MMO cheer leaders are probably ticking the A-rX guys off [sorry guys]. That could be why these threads grow like this. Since it is an open forum these things do happen, but if we keep a civil tone and no name calling I think it's all good. I don't want to be considered part of "The Crew", but if I am so be it.

I've learned a lot here, and I'm happy about that.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
This thread makes we want to try Auto-RX even more just to test it myself! Christmas is coming......

That is the *best* way. Then you will have first hand experience. Nothing really beats that.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Funny, I remember talking to frank about a year ago and him mentioning Brent and how he was in support of the product and was getting bashed for it here. So lets hear it brent, what's your issue?

I started using arx in my El Camino at 343,000 miles and for the next 24,000 miles I did 3 Clean and Rinses followed by a few Maintenance Doses with arx. There is no doubt that arx worked for me since I went through 22 oil filters in 24,000 miles. My oil never really got dark looking except when I started using Pennzoil Platinum at 361,000 miles. I remember saying to myself why is PP darkening my oil more than arx and dino oil. I came to realize that arx was just breaking stuff off in pieces that would eventually clog the oil filter.

I then remembered guys like Mori, kingrob, and greenaccord02 were so against arx, I Pmed these 3 members and they basically said the product did not work, they just did not let up. I would post favoribly about arx in threads and get called an arx Robot and an arx cheerleader. I could never really understand the hostility about arx.

One day I PMed a member named Demarpaint about not getting results with arx, his oil filter was light as a feather for both the Clean and Rinse Phases, I said how can this be, he told me that he used MMO in his oil 500 miles before an oil change and he would then run a full quart in the wintertime.

I was very skeptical since I had bought into the arx position that all other oil additives were useless, but after 24,000 miles I was tired of going through oil filters and I could never get a clear answer from arx about my oil filter issues. I put in 16 ounces of MMO in my oil 500 miles before my oil change, Demarpaint had told me that I would notice a difference right away and he was right, the car just felt more responsive.

I then changed my oil after having MMO in there for 500 miles and the oil filter was light as a feather, I concluded that arx breaks off deposits into tiny pieces and MMO liquifies junk and holds it in suspension in the oil. I also noticed the oil that was drained that had MMO in there came out much darker than it ever had before.

I then told many arx users about this and they got better results with MMO, just like me. There must have been about 20 members or so who knew what I was doing, I was leading a Double Life, here I was an ARX Moderator and Supporter and I was using another product and getting better results.

Before I used MMO I searched the net for any problems with the product, I PMed another arx moderator about Demarpaint recommending MMO in the oil, he told me that he had used either MMO or Neutra 500 miles before his oil changes. I was still skeptical, so I called my Dad's friend that he grew up with in Brooklyn N.Y. and had been a mechanic for UPS from 1960 till 1995, he told me that he had been using MMO since 1955 and never had any problems with it, he said do not overdose the product.

I then started and ARX & MMO Thread and I was attacked for using another product and it got ugly, I got upset and did some investigating and I found out that arx had never tested there product on an automobile engine, it was actually tested on an automatic transmission. I knew there was more to this puzzle of why so many members were not getting results with arx. I just went through the whole oil additive section and I read every arx thread and every arx post, anyone including myself who was associated with arx, I just read there posts.

I then started and ARX & Aluminum Engine Thread that showed arx had a problem with aluminum and everything seemed to fall into place.

I feel if arx had left my ARX & MMO Thread alone and not attacked me then I probably would never gone through the whole oil additive section to find out why there was constant fighting about arx.

I am sorry if any of my arx posts misled anyone, I thought it was doing a great job, but I realized that when I switched to MMO that I was getting better results.

At 1st I was upset with Frank Miller, but in reality I was the one that called him and bought his product, I believed everything he said about solvents being bad for our engines, I took his word for everything and I probably should have researched the whole oil additive section back in 2007, meaning going through all of the arx posts.

If anyone wants to check out my posts just click on my username and you can see all of my old posts or you can PM me if you have any questions.

When I bought A-Rx I bought it with trying to stop a leak in mind, and do some cleaning. What I discovered was this, actually it is pretty basic. You can't clean something that isn't dirty. I believe the MMO cleaned and kept my engine clean, what I was hoping for was the leak to stop, which in fact it did, something MMO was not able to do. It came back during the OC following the final A-Rx rinse, at that point I was not adding MMO to the oil I was using 4 oz of A-Rx. You won't see me bashing the product because not all problems can be solved with additives. I might try a HM oil now, but in all honesty the leak isn't bad enough to upset me.

I had mentioned to c3po that sometimes changing chemistry to clean something up is a good idea, and to give MMO a shot. His complaint was after 24,000 miles and a lot of filters he'd be done, and have a clean engine.

It doesn't matter to me what a person uses to clean his engine, I keep an open mind, read a lot and am not afraid to experiment with my beater. I have over the years seen first hand what MMO can do with cleaning and I've always been impressed. I've also read about a lot of A-Rx success stories. If a person wants to try it I say go for it, they offer a guarantee if you're not happy with it you really have nothing to fear, and can always try something else.

I will however call a product out that makes claims that defy logic, neither of these products make such claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back