Some say, "stay away from Pennzoil". Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad started driving in 1960, and has used Pennzoil YB ever since. He told me that a mechanic told him way back then that Pennzoil was the best oil. Never had an oil problem in all those years.

So its Pennzoil 5w20 in his Chrysler minivan every 3k-4k.
I change oil while he cooks steaks. Its a win-win if you ask me!!!!
20.gif

Pennzoil is fine.
Why do you think Shell bought them? Shell makes their own oil, but they wanted the market share Pennzoil has and Shell added some of their own things, so it's good.
Check the UOAs, they are always good.

In the late 70's when manufactures started running engines at higher temps and trying to extend OCI's some, Pennzoil had sludging problems along with most all the other oils at the time. Now oils are a lot better and the emission systems are better than years ago. I don't use Pennzoil but it is a top of the line oil just like all the other brand name oils on the market.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The truth is that in 198something somebodys brother knew a guy in his church that ran pennzoil in his 76 Pontiac. This same guy removed his thermostat because 195* is "too hot" so 140* must be better. Same guy never checked or replaced his PCV valve or crankcase breather, his car had an apatite for coolant that nobody on the farm could figure out so he just added water whenever the car would overheat.

He did change the 10w-40 Pennzoil every 3-4 years and the filter every other change regardless if if it needed a filter or not.

One day the poor 455 Pontiac lost the plastic gear on the timing chain and when the pulled the timing cover off they were agast at the sludge build up in the engine.

Since he always ran Pennzoil then the sludge inside the engine could only come from one thing. The oil he used!

This is a true story because I heard it from a guy at work who had a cousin......

lol.gif
I'm sure the story started something like that. This "Pennzoil causes sludge" old wives' tale has been around even before the 80's. Some people believed that the oil actually was only from Pennsylvania, and Penn crude caused sludge. So they also threw in Quaker State too. This is all wrong on so many levels, but that was their reasoning.

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The truth is that in 198something somebodys brother knew a guy in his church that ran pennzoil in his 76 Pontiac. This same guy removed his thermostat because 195* is "too hot" so 140* must be better. Same guy never checked or replaced his PCV valve or crankcase breather, his car had an apatite for coolant that nobody on the farm could figure out so he just added water whenever the car would overheat.

He did change the 10w-40 Pennzoil every 3-4 years and the filter every other change regardless if if it needed a filter or not.

One day the poor 455 Pontiac lost the plastic gear on the timing chain and when the pulled the timing cover off they were agast at the sludge build up in the engine.

Since he always ran Pennzoil then the sludge inside the engine could only come from one thing. The oil he used!

This is a true story because I heard it from a guy at work who had a cousin......

The Truth is is that it used to.. It WAS the main cause of sludge. Better Refinery and formula changes made Pennsoil a very good oil today, I am an Old Guy and remember cars packed with blackish brown flaky oil sludge from Quakerstate and Pennzoil back in the 70's and 80's. heck sometimes that [censored] kept some of the engines running back then. I think AMSOIL was the only oil that was synthetic back then, I just asked my Dad about this ( he was a master mechanic)and he remembers they would say that their oil would remove the sludge and that people would put kerosene in the engine to clean out the [censored]. All Oils left deposites, Pennzoil and quakerstate were the worst.

Today I don't think any oils do that.

On the other hand, I know of people that only used Pennzoil and Quaker State back in the 70's and 80's and never had sludge or any other problem. Who was refining PZ and QS's oil back in the 70-80's? I'm just not buying that they caused sludge in the late 70's or 80's anymore than other brands if they ever did.

Last edited:
I have to hahahah at this thread. It brings back memories of the stories I used to hear about quakerstate back in the 70's.

Mechanics for the most part know nothing about oil.

Mine scolds me for using 5w30 in my ecotec motor, he says that it is "TOO THIN", and I should use a 10w30 for better protection..

I just nod my head and agree with them.

Even before I asked this question I felt that Pennzoil was a great product. I just found it odd that I have heard, "stay away from Pennzoil", so many times. And I usually heard it from a mechanic.

I don't think that if a mechanic gives some incorrect information like this it should label he/she a incompetent mechanic. Old myths like this tend to die hard and I am sure that a lot of "old school" type mechanics just remember this being told to people when they were first learning the ropes.

Many mechanics don't know what 0w means other than it makes them think too thin. It's not uncommon. Some do ..but their fewer than you would think.

Outside of BITOG, we're kinda oddballs... (I dunno if that came out right
54.gif
)

I was told by a guy at Auto Zone a couple weeks ago that he would recommend any oil except "that yellow bottle" as he called it. Knowing what he would probably say, I asked him why. I just agreed and went on about my day. No sense in arguing about it. I think Pennzoil is a great product. I have PP in my truck right now with no worries.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Many mechanics don't know what 0w means other than it makes them think too thin. It's not uncommon. Some do ..but their fewer than you would think.

Outside of BITOG, we're kinda oddballs... (I dunno if that came out right
54.gif
)

My GF would say unique.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back