How often do you change your diff fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
xxch4osxx - It is because the inter-axle diff is situated in the front drive axle too. This equals many more components!
Oh, the diffential lock? We have the inter-axle switch as well as full-lockup switches in the trucks, for "just in case" situations.

I went 236,000 miles on original rear gear oil in a Chevy van. The body and heater core went before the rear end. Another van went 180,000 miles before a rear axle seal pooped out.

VW- I change every 50K-Valvoline 75W90 synthetic
Jeep- Unless contaminated after a off-roading trip, it's changed every 30K-Valvoline 75W90 up front/75W140 out back.

Dumped the FF at 10k miles and now go 30k miles between changes as per a trusted subaru source. As Doug said, that might be overkill but it's cheap insurance @ $20 per change with great fluid like Motul Gear 300. The subie rear diff only holds .7 quarts, unlike bigger trucks.

I believe the first change is the most important to get rid of the break in material and the filth typically left in there by the factory. That should come no later than about 5K miles. After that, a high quality oil can last a very long time, as Doug Hillary said. I think his comments were very valid but one must keep in mind the differences in oil capacity between a big truck and a small car. Still, I think after that initial change, in most case a car or truck could go 100K on a good synthetic gear oil in "normal" use. Heavy towing (high oil temps) o r'wheeling (water crossing and dust) would also dictate a more frequent interval. I know that towing at rated capacity in a pickup can bring some high temps in the 275-300 range and long term, that's a killer for any oil (sooner or later). Still, a good oil can easily take 15-30k miles of that, maybe more.

I know the viscosity vs temperature comments he made are valid because I've seen data similar to what he related. Now that I have a very accurate axle temp gauge on my truck and some good baseline temps, his comments have inspired me to consider draining the synthetic 75W140 in my truck's rear axle and installing the same brand of oil but in a 75W90 viscosity and monitoring those temps for a drop. Whaddaya think, Doug?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I put Amsoil in at about 30k and it wont be changed until the Amsoil has at least 50k on it, or I get my gears/LSD installed, whichever comes first.

Hey, I use the 75w110 too.

It seems like a wicked gear oil. great weight too.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Our 1998 Chevy K2500 truck has 200K on the factory fill. They are not easy miles either. This truck towed 5 to 6 days a week its entire life. I may change it next summer just for $hits and giggles to see what it looks like.
It's going to look like green-gray sludge and it will stink like [censored]. I'm quite surprised that you haven't roached a bearing yet.

Pavelow, thanks for bringing that up. When we do bearing life calculations at our company, contaminant debris in the lube plays a big part in reducing bearing life.

I can only imagine that when we talk about differential maintenance and care, most people are focused on the gear teeth. The bearings (4 of them?) are an important part of the unit.

As posted by one member who works at Dana, most of the breakin of a new diff unit is at 3K, and that initial fluid changeout at 3-5K will go a long way in increasing the life of the diff unit.

If you use Amsoil SVG 75w110 you can go 100k on it easy unless you off road it and submerge the axle in water. The 100k drain interval is one major reason to use the Amsoil and the added cost. Believe me it will go 100k as I know people who have gone 200k on it.

Mustang - every couple years
F150 - went 140,000 miles on the factory fill but will change at 50,000 mile intervals here on out.

Hi,
Jim - I would have no hesitation. In fact it is interesting to note that parasitic Power/economy gains are achieved via the viscosity of diff/gearbox fluids rather than engine lubricants

If the FF is a mineral lubricant (sulphur based) this should be dumped early. Unless it is a "lifetime" synthetic fill it is best to dump it early

Last edited:
Toyota recommends 30,000 mile drains and there is always metal on the drain plug, albeit in an almost powdered form. I would bet that these changes will help reduce wear and extend seal life.

2008 Scion TC-changed FF out at 1,200 miles to Amsoil.

2003 Corvette Z06-changed it at 50,000 miles to Amsoil. I bought the car used and assumed that it was the FF in there.

My tundra with 28k miles now; i changed the FF rear diff at 5k miles with dino, and then switched to Amsoil at 20k in ALL 3 diffs.

First one at 5k was pretty nasty.

08 corolla 5-speed changed to Amsoil at 5k.

07 4runner rear changed to Amsoil at 15k. Now at 28k, and springtime the other 2 diffs will get the same thing.

i change my diff fluid "automatically" when i drain and fill my transmission as the two share the same fluid. every 20,000 miles.

The only reason I would change it in or expedition is because it has a LSD that the clutch packs can start locking up and whining after a while.

After doing a lot of reading on this forum, I think I will dump the tranny fluid, transfer case fluid and differential fluids at 25k miles and replace with Amsoil fluids.

Then I plan to let it go until 100k....putting 75k miles on those fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back