Opinions for '99 Jeep coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've searched but still would like an opinion.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. Iron block and head, probably aluminum radiator, aluminum freeze plugs. It's been 3 years since I flushed and refilled the cooling system, and at the time I used Prestone AM-AM extended life which still has a green color. Until recently, I figured green is green so I didn't think twice about it. Now I understand that Prestone is NOT the typical green silicate that was factory, and that it is more closely related to Dexcool. I'm debating weather I should A) Continue using Presetone universal B) Refill with Zerex "Green" C) Go to G-05 since this was what Jeep/DC started using in 2001. There is some sediment present in the radiator neck so I will be flushing no matter what fluid I install. I really hate doing cooling system maintenance, so an extended life coolant is highly desirable. It's such a nasty job and a pain to recycle the old stuff plus all the contaminated rinse water that has to be collected.

By the way. The factory service manual only specifies ethylene glycol based coolant with Alugard 340-2.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've found that regardless of a coolant being "long life", you still have to maintain the system frequently. Long life is just marketing garbage.

I'd get the Prestone Dex Clone out and probably use good old Zerex Original Green. It's actually not the old school green but has some newer thing called "inorganic additive technology', whatever that means. It's also low silicate with phosphates. So it's like good ol green coolant with some modern technological tweaks.

Zerex coolant chart calls for traditonal green coolant, which lately I have seen at many local auto parts stores. If your water is fairly soft you could get a flushing T, some Prestone Super Flush quick flush and do a decent job.

If you want to go to an extended coolant you could go to G-05, I guess. That said I've used Prestone and Peak All mkes with no issues in 2 vehicles.

I'd stick with concentrate not 50/50, better value and easier to get correct concentration in system.

I have a 2001 Jeep which has green colored coolant. I assume previous owner dumped the G-05 and put in the old green antifreeze. I am draining the radiator today and putting in 50/50 Zerex G-05. I assume I will need to do it a few times.

Is there a difference between Zerex original 5yr/100K and Peak Original Green? If the Zerex original is IAT and low silicate, how can it say anything other than 2yr/24K? Is it just marketing? I can only find Prestone and Peak here, so unless I order off the internet, Zerex is not an option.

I converted my '88 Cherokee with the 4.0l and copper/brass radiator to G-05 about 6 years ago. No regrets. Not a fan of "all vehicle" chemistry / Dexcool type clones.

The Jeep 4.0 itself isn't going to be real picky about coolant, but for the sake of the radiator and heater core I'd stick with either a CONVENTIONAL green (not Prestone AM/AM) or else go to G-05. I've still got my 4.0 on green, but I've switched one of my old 440s (same all iron block construction and aluminum radiator, but with a brass heater core.) to G-05 and its working perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have a 2001 Jeep which has green colored coolant. I assume previous owner dumped the G-05 and put in the old green antifreeze. I am draining the radiator today and putting in 50/50 Zerex G-05. I assume I will need to do it a few times.

I have now done the drain and fill twice. Just under 2 gallons total per drain and refill. I think from now on I will just do one drain and fill/year. The Amsoil guide says the total fill is just over 14 QTs. The old green antifreeze looked very good.

Do you a NAPA in your area? They carry Xerex G-05. If not then AA should have or be able to order traditonal old school Green Peak. I just bought some there over the weekend on sale for $7.99/gal (full strength).

The easiest and fastest way to maintain your cooling system is a "drain 'n fill" every 1-2 yrs.

Originally Posted By: cos

The easiest and fastest way to maintain your cooling system is a "drain 'n fill" every 1-2 yrs.
Yes. It's cheap insurance against costly coolant system problems (especially the hard to get to heater cores on later model Jeeps) and if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long term time frame, this maintenance is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back