Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Youch! well thanks for the contribution!

All in the name of science! LMAO!

BLINDED BY SCIENCE !!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: labman

Note, I think the Delco data is older. The newer Purolators are different, maybe better, maybe worse. Can you tell who is making the UPF?

Not sure who makes the FEW UPFs now (Corvette size only), but I'm pretty sure DANA/WIX made the originals...before Champion stepped in. I'll try to verify that.

I have no idea how reliable they are, but DNA testing of dogs is fairly reasonable, http://www.biopetvetlab.com/dnahome.htm or http://www.wisdompanel.com/

Cool, thanks!

Note, I think the Delco data is older. The newer Purolators are different, maybe better, maybe worse. Can you tell who is making the UPF?

Ya. A lot of unknowns.
I agree with Ronn, I think it was Wix that made those UPFs, too.

Originally Posted By: Ronn

Not sure who makes the FEW UPFs now (Corvette size only), but I'm pretty sure DANA/WIX made the originals...before Champion stepped in. I'll try to verify that.

Dana/Wix Ultraguard connection

The oil filter that I'm using is (rather was) made by Dana for ACDelco. It is an Ultraguard Gold filter. My understanding is that it is no longer made. This is an expensive filter: $20 to $30 US, something like that. I got mine through the SynLube company.

In brief:
- heavy construction, high burst strength
- microglass media that filters down to 10 microns and less
- very high single and multi-pass efficiencies
- excellent flow for a given pressure drop
- high dirt load capacity
- wire backing of the pleats
- anti-drain back valve
- by pass valve
- metal end caps
- round cross section gasket, fully captured

I've cut a used one open. There is not an excess of pleats. The filter probably has only average filter surface area. The microglass fibers however are much smaller than cellulose fibers. They trap smaller particles while still allowing good flow (since the fibers themselves don't take up as much space).

I have a couple on hand, but I don't know what I'll be turning to next. I'm waiting to see what SynLube can source. I trust their judgement.

Dana/Wix Ultraguard connection

The oil filter that I'm using is (rather was) made by Dana for ACDelco. It is an Ultraguard Gold filter. My understanding is that it is no longer made. This is an expensive filter: $20 to $30 US, something like that. I got mine through the SynLube company.

In brief:
- heavy construction, high burst strength
- microglass media that filters down to 10 microns and less
- very high single and multi-pass efficiencies
- excellent flow for a given pressure drop
- high dirt load capacity
- wire backing of the pleats
- anti-drain back valve
- by pass valve
- metal end caps
- round cross section gasket, fully captured

I've cut a used one open. There is not an excess of pleats. The filter probably has only average filter surface area. The microglass fibers however are much smaller than cellulose fibers. They trap smaller particles while still allowing good flow (since the fibers themselves don't take up as much space).

I have a couple on hand, but I don't know what I'll be turning to next. I'm waiting to see what SynLube can source. I trust their judgement.

The UPF filters (UPF52) I have, have a base plate that looks very similar to the Mobil 1 filter (M1-201) I have for the same application, they both have TT stamped on it. The Royal Purple filter for the same application has TT stamped on the base plate also. Also I believe that link to not be worth much since they never said why they thought they were Dana nor ever posted an answer to what they believe from Synlube.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

The UPF filters (UPF52) I have, have a base plate that looks very similar to the Mobil 1 filter (M1-201) I have for the same application, they both have TT stamped on it. The Royal Purple filter for the same application has TT stamped on the base plate also. Also I believe that link to not be worth much since they never said why they thought they were Dana nor ever posted an answer to what they believe from Synlube.

Here is the Synlube Filter..they have a 100% synthetic Filter:

hdfilter3.jpg

Here is a Pic of the Old AC UPF:

pi_filt_oil_gold_prod2.gif

They both have the same Filter..woven glass fibers reinforced with mesh. Also note this quote from ACdelco regarding the SEAL :
The Ultraguard oil filter also features a
Teflon-coated gasket, like the Duraguard Silver, that helps to eliminate
leakage and is easier to install and remove.

Do you see the similarity with the caption on Synlube regarding that seal?
I'll take a pic of the base plate on my 10 YEAR OLD UPF53 and post it here...let's see if it has that *TT* stamped on it
56.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, for the pics. The P1 also showed very well in your flow test in that group correct?

As for the synlube filter, it had better be a super oil filter when synlube hypes no oil changes for life.
smirk2.gif

Synlube is also the same company that makes the claim that using manufacturer spec recommended 5w20 decreases engine life by 30%, yet provides no scientific proof.

So, while the filter may well be fine, the company itself, IMO, no so much.

5W-20 @ room temperature:
"Dip test--left to right and top to bottom: K&N, PF52, UPF52, and PureOne
Time to fill the center tubes to the level of the oil mix:
K&N and PF52 tied at about 60 seconds
PureOne = 3 minutes
UPF53 = more than 5 minutes"

I agree with you about the Synlube claim; but I don't want this thread to veer into an argument about motor oil claims or hypes.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
I do believe the UPF is a champ filter now,same base looks as the M1 filter.

Ah yes. It does look like a Champ base! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back