New guy here going to get first oil change helpage

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats up guys? i got a 2008 ford mustang gt vert with about 11k miles. i live in las vegas so it never really gets terribly cold. was wondering what would be a good choice or oil to help with performance? also any recommendations on where to take it such as sears, pep boys, walmart etc? its a daily driver as well

thanks

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find much love for any quick lube here, is there a local mechanic who you can trust for this and other things?

Assuming it's the Ford modular v8, does it spec 5-30 or 5-20? If it were mine, in vegas, I'd probably be running a good 5-30 probably M1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

i was going to go to jiffy lube then a guy on the mustang board showed me a video on how they scammed people. im ocd enough as it is with the car, then i see that lol

The newer stangs are usually 5w20 in line with the rest of the lineup at ford. I would avoid quick lube places as there are a lot of horror stories and you can save yourself money doing it yourself and running higher quality goods.

For 40 bucks you can pick up some Rhino Ramps, $20 bucks for a nice synthetic or 10 bucks for a very good dino oil. Filter could be anything, but MotorCraft filters are favored here along with PureOne.

Correction:

For the 4.0 L - V6 engine ( 5 w 30 )

For the 4.6 L - V8 engine ( 5 w 20 )

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

as far as the Mustang goes, nice car! Also, as long as the garage fills out your maintenance info, you shouldnt have a problem upholding your warantee.

I would look for a reputable private shop and take it there. They will usually take more care than the quick lube places.

If at all possible, I would do it yourself. Its an easy job, a lot of guys on this site could walk you through it.

As for oil, I believe the mustang calls for a 5w20 in the V8.

If youre looking to drive it like it was meant to be driven, and live in the Vegas heat, I would run any good quality synthetic.

Mobil 1 5w20 is good, so is pennzoil platinum and many others.

Amsoil makes some nice 20 wieghts, but they can be a bit spendy.

It's a 2008 with 11K, so it must still be under warranty. If you are going to let someone else do the oil changes, do not take it to the ones you listed, take it to your Ford dealer. If it calls for 5W-20, I would use 5W-20. It can handle Vegas.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Personally, I would search for local dealers online and try to find some reviews on them. Find out who the oldest Ford dealer is in Vegas...they are probably the best for service. The three Ford dealers that I allow to work on my truck have all been in business for over 50 years.

the ford dealerships are very far from where i am. im OCD about my milleage too haha. this is the first car i have owned thats pretty new i mostly stuck with 69 or 70 stangs as they were easy to work now. id love to be able to change my own but the other problem i run into is that i live in an apt complex with alot of rules. i got a notice for washing my car once...
here she is
2009-07-31180648.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It's a 2008 with 11K, so it must still be under warranty. If you are going to let someone else do the oil changes, do not take it to the ones you listed, take it to your Ford dealer. If it calls for 5W-20, I would use 5W-20. It can handle Vegas.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I agree with this, if you're not going to do the work yourself, take it to a Ford dealer.

ford it is then. any other tips on oil to help out the whip would be much appreciated and thanks for all your help. happy thanksgiving!

Amsoil has a warehouse in Vegas. Sign up for a preferred customer membership and you can pick up your oil there with no shipping costs.

How often do you change your oil? If you are going to let the dealer do it, there is nothing wrong with the Motorcraft oil. The other brands listed above are also good choices.

Very nice car. Know what you mean about apt./condo complexes and their rules. I just don't follow them!

Originally Posted By: DaSIZL
id love to be able to change my own but the other problem i run into is that i live in an apt complex with alot of rules.

Just take the car and your gear to an abandoned parking lot or something.

I am not plugging any one. But I use Pep Bpys for tire and few othe things.

Their oil change menu is better than any other quick lube places. You can choose your filter and choose your oil and they pull the qts of your brand off the shelf.

I cahnge my own oil and only use a Pep Boys if I am traveling or some other reason I am in a pinch for a change.

I always wiat and walk around to the garage door so the mech thinks I am watching them,

BTW nice car it should last 300K if you take care of it.

ya this is the first oil change since i got it so i wanna do it right i want to get the tires rotated as well. so go with a full synthetic 5w20 motorcraft? is pep boys cheaper then a ford dealership? i went on the ford site near me and they had no pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back