Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cannot get the relative flow between the PureONE and the UPF52 to go any differently.
This morning, even using WD40 to simulate thin oil and putting 7.5 psi intial oil pressure and letting it fall to zero (as the vacuum is broken by filling a glass bottle with the WD40) across both elements, the P1 still flows almost twice as fast.

So this is a Delco chart about Delco filters vs. others? What model and size of elements were compared in this chart? Did they all have the same surface area?

BTW, Just got back from the Animal Rescue League,
Meet Riley!

DSC01596.jpg

Cool dog! Is Riley yours permanently?

As for my previous comment about the positive correlation between your findings and the graph(s) I was referring to the Pure One. Didn't know you were testing an Ultraguard (Delco).

Interesting about your Delco findings.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

So this is a Delco chart about Delco filters vs. others? What model and size of elements were compared in this chart? Did they all have the same surface area?

Yes, the charts are ACDelco comparing thier UPF to the competition. In the original chart, all it shows it the other filter brand names, nothing else. Hard to say if ACDelco used similar sized filters of the competitors.

New dog looks happy !

Thanks! Yep. He ours now. 1/2 Golden and half either Husky or Chow depending on which of the tags at the ARL you believe.

I think the chart is not, like, irrelevent, but just too many unknowns.
All I know is that the UPF that I have, compared to the PureONE that I have (that are the same size), the PureONE definitely flows faster and should have something of a lower pressure drop in a car.
But now I'm nitpicking because I think they are both great filters.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Yes, the charts are ACDelco comparing thier UPF to the competition. In the original chart, all it shows it the other filter brand names, nothing else. Hard to say if ACDelco used similar sized filters of the competitors.

New dog looks happy !

Oops...somehow I missed your post.
Ya. The chart is probably valid for whatevert they measured but I'm always skeptical of incomplete data when it's published by the manufacturer. Like My old Logic professor would have said, "it's suspect right away because of vested interest"
Well, I won't go quite that far, but who knows...maybe they changed media before I got this UPF52 and after the chart was made?
All I know is it's quite a bit harder to push fluid through the UPF I have than the P1 I used.
...Not that it means anything about the worth of the UPF in use. Heck I'm gonna try and get UPFs for my own use from ebay, thanks to a link from Ronn!

Riley's a happy guy! :)

SuperBusa said:
Oops...somehow I missed your post.
Ya. The chart is probably valid for whatevert they measured but I'm always skeptical of incomplete data when it's published by the manufacturer. Like My old Logic professor would have said, "it's suspect right away because of vested interest"
Well, I won't go quite that far, but who knows...maybe they changed media before I got this UPF52 and after the chart was made?
All I know is it's quite a bit harder to push fluid through the UPF I have than the P1 I used.
...Not that it means anything about the worth of the UPF in use. Heck I'm gonna try and get UPFs for my own use from ebay, thanks to a link from Ronn!

I found this correspondence from ACDelco on line (can't recall where). Don't know if this *helps*..but interesting none the less.

The Ultraguard Gold goes even beyond the Duraguard Silver Filters by
providing a 100% synthetic media that can trap contaminants down to 8-10
microns with an even lower resistance to flow than the Duraguard Silver
filters (see below). In addition this 100% synthetic media is wire backed.
The wire backing helps ensure that the filter media can endure very high
differential pressures, that may occur on cold start up or severe usage,
with less likelihood of internal buckling of the media (which can impeded
oil flow). This highly durable wire-backed media thus helps ensure the
likelihood that the oil will flow through the filter and not bypass the
filter through the oil bypass valve, as may occur on filters with a media
that flows less freely. The Ultraguard oil filter also features a
Teflon-coated gasket, like the Duraguard Silver, that helps to eliminate
leakage and is easier to install and remove.

You may also be asking what's so special about this synthetic media over
cellulose media. And that's a great question! As indicated above, the
term synthetic simply means man-made. The synthetic media used in our oil
filters is made of a fiberglass-like material. The media pores in this
material are more uniform in size and smaller as well, which allow it to
trap smaller contaminants. Even when the media openings are smaller, their
more uniform size and greater number allow excellent oil flow through the
filter. In terms of 20-micron efficiencies, most premium filters perform
very similar. When compared to other premium oil filters the Ultraguard
Gold oil filter has a very low resistance to flow while at the same time
filtering very tiny particles.

We hope that this information was helpful to you!

Thank you for your interest in ACDelco.

I would really love to see an ST Ecore against a Purolator Classic. If I could find an ST 3950 Ecore, I would send it and an L 10193 with its 1 1/4'' long element in a 3'' can. You can even see how short it is looking in the center hole. The STP 3950, non Ecore, I have on my truck now looked like it was about 1 3/4'' long, the same as the Pronto P 04619 going on next.

Originally Posted By: labman
I would really love to see an ST Ecore against a Purolator Classic.

Probably not.
But if you send them I'll put up the pics, results, and measurements.

PM me your address. If none of the people claiming they are finding an ST 3950 step up, maybe I will send you a close enough STP and an L10193. Let people see your pictures of the dwarf element in it.

Originally Posted By: labman
PM me your address. If none of the people claiming they are finding an ST 3950 step up, maybe I will send you a close enough STP and an L10193. Let people see your pictures of the dwarf element in it.

Will do. I am going out to run some errands this afternoon near WalMart, too. If I find an ecore 3950, I'll get one.
But probably not as I say because our Wally World isn't that good either--except for Frams.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Donaldson hasn't shown up yet?

Not yet. And UPS was here because I got my TRD filters today.

labman: I couldn't find a ST3950 at WallaceMarket here, either.

All I know is that the UPF that I have, compared to the PureONE that I have (that are the same size), the PureONE definitely flows faster and should have something of a lower pressure drop in a car.

that's still strange one would think the UPF would flow faster,but the upf is a two layer filter,dunno all i know is they work great for me and i'll continue to use them for sure.

Delco says they do, and maybe they do on the model they tested for the graph, but not in the model I have.
So maybe your oil pressure will run 52 instead of 54 psi on the highway? (with this model) Big deal, right? They are a well made, efficient filter.

Delco says they do, and maybe they do on the model they tested for the graph, but not in the model I have.
So maybe your oil pressure will run 52 instead of 54 psi on the highway? (with this model) Big deal, right? They are a well made, efficient filter.

i hear ya,both great filters.

Donaldson hasn't shown up yet?

Not yet. And UPS was here because I got my TRD filters today.

labman: I couldn't find a ST3950 at WallaceMarket here, either.

It will show up USPS. UPS would have cost a fortune to send from Canada.

Ah yeah, I guess I never noticed it was coming from Canada. Maybe Friday I hope.

Ah yeah, I guess I never noticed it was coming from Canada. Maybe Friday I hope.

I almost spent the cost of the filter on shipping
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back