using MMO in a m/c with wet clutch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. Really don't see the need though. Most bikes w/shared sumps already shear the oil to the thin side. If you want good cleaning ability, a HDEO like Rotella should keep your bikes engine clean.

No the people at the MMO forums say its not a good idea on the bikes with wet clutches. I do put MMO in my gas on my Yamaha though.

Last edited:
Rislone - this stuff works in a bike - 2oz per quart of oil----
good to go .! - run for a few short OCI's

Not enough zinc in them for me to be comfortable. Most Moto oils have 400 ppm more zinc in them than passenger car motor oils.

Plus passenger car oils seem to shear badly in shared sump systems. Perhaps a high mileage 20w50, but still you would be better running a good diesel oil.

Rotella T 5w40 for Winter, 15w40 for Summer...

A little MMO in the gas wouldn't hurt any at all. I've used MMO in a MC with wet clutch in years past. I had no probelms personally (clutch acted just fine) but some bikes are more prone to clutch slippage than others. An '86 Kawasaki 454 Ltd. and a '95 Yamaha 750 Virago - both did just fine with MMO in the Oil, but can't speak for any others. Of course, I was using HDEO in them as well - but only did the MMO add for 250-300 miles before OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
Plus passenger car oils seem to shear badly in shared sump systems. Perhaps a high mileage 20w50, but still you would be better running a good diesel oil.

How well do the high-mileage passenger car oils hold up in motorcycles?

My friend has an 1100cc Kawasaki Ninja that we put M1 High Mileage 10W-40 into, as it's available for cheap at Wal-Mart, doesn't seem to have a lot of FMs that would affect the clutch, and would help clean out the previous oil (unknown oil, unknown time between changes -- he bought it used and the old oil looked pretty nasty).

The bike has ~28,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back