Just saw the coolest looking Semi-Truck, Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving down a road and I saw this retro-new looking Semi-truck carrying a load of live turkey. It's like the Camaro, Challenger, Mustang cars (Retro-New style). It has a huge grill and looks brand new. That's the first time I was aroused looking at a semi-truck.. Can someone help me with the name of this truck? If I were rich, I'd drive that for pleasure.

I'm going to guess that it was an International Lonestar.

163_0802_00z+International_loneStar+front_view.jpg

Thats what I hear from my wife's father. He's been a truck driver for some 40 years im going to guess. He says they aren't fun nor are they comfortable. He gets usually the pick of the group of new trucks and no matter what they cram into the truck for convenience and comfort it doesn't make it easier. Especially when your in it for a week at a time.

i recall going for trips with my bro when I was in high school. I'd help him with tarping loads of drywall, and putting corners on the loads.

I thought it was kinda cool at first, until I had to try to get a restfull sleep in one. After a while the fun wore off and I didn't like those trips anymore

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
I drive trucks for a living. No matter how good they look they are no pleasure to drive.

Although I only drove rigs for 5 months. I hated 600 mile days but the trucks were awesome. Especially this International I drove. It had a smaller engine but you could hear the turbos spool up higher. It sounded real nice with the windows cracked on a cool night.

10spd manuals without synchros. Takes a bit of training to get it down, but feels good when you get it right and can nail which gear you want by rev matching. My coworker had me take some backwoods highway coming from I think Branson to Russellville Arkansas and at first was too curvy to take safely since I had to creep with the flashers on since the truck/trailer would take up 1.5 lanes. Anyway, a ways down and at about 50mph and really curvy made for a good ride. You could feel the sleeper berth swaying back and forth as the truck would rock through the curves and nailing an apex and having boost exiting. It was the only "fun" stretch of road I ever hit in about 30k miles.

Also, somewhere in Wyoming going down a mountain hitting 80mph cause we were reportedly fired if the truck exceeded that and the tires were flat-spotted from my co-driver doing something earlier that week and having the truck violently shake. I thought they were out of balance but he fessed when I asked him about it. Driving through Salt Lake City without the use of the Jake was so difficult you had to be accurate and made it interesting.

The trucks were a joy to drive and I never got to be good at backing even though I spent 5 days in the Flying J parking lot in Russellville practicing backing everday since my co-driver had a funeral to go to there, I just never got it down path so it was a job you could always be better at. And cruising the interstate and being able to see 12 seconds ahead at all times since you sat up so tall was very nice.

87sammy, to me it wasn't the trucks that were no fun it was having to drive 400-600 miles in 10 hours and getting bored and watching each mile go by. It was cool to see things on the road all the time and see some folks pimping their chicken lights and even met a guy with 4 15" subs mounted under the top bunk who worked for stevens (ya know, the dark blue truck).

Keep trucking man, but you're probably glad to see me off the road since after I went on hometime and broke my arm(at a track day in Tulsa on my motorsickle), CRST wouldn't hire me back. So on my 'vacation time' while my arm healed I went to the Netherlands and partied up and came back to orientation at PRIME a little too soon.

Ugh... driving truck... been there... done that... not going back.
lol.gif

It gets really old...

-viewing the world behind the windshield for endless miles.
-not being able to stop because there is just no room or you will get chased off.
-living inside the truck for 3-4 weeks at a time.
-waking up and having to check your logbook entry from the night before to remember where you are now.
-rolling down the road and feeling/hearing your gut rumble and knowing you are going to need washroom facilities in a hurry but you are stuck in traffic.
-dealing with cranky shipppers/receivers.
-winter conditions... oh my! The laws of physics kick in at the most inopportune of times.

My favourite trucks are the old long-nosed Pete's with the round headlights and split windshield. They look EVIL! Especially in burgundy or black.

Kinda like this one (wrong colour though):

awesome%20peterbilt%20600.JPG

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I'm going to guess that it was an International Lonestar.

163_0802_00z+International_loneStar+front_view.jpg

That is beautiful!

I drive bus.

No way in h*** would I ever drive anything for under 60 cents a mile (currently a touch under 70 cents).

Then again, we get nowhere near the amount of miles truckers get, and we are at the mercy of the public's perception (see: beheading).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back