What Grade Bolt For A Bush Hog "Shear Pin"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Bush Hog rotary mower that doesn't have a clutch. Ran over a stump today & it sheared the PTO pin that goes into the Bush Hog gear box. Did what it was designed to do. Can't find a factory pin as my mower is over 30 yrs. old. Bush Hog dealer tells me to use a 3 inch long, three-eighths diameter bolt with a lock-nut. One dealer says to use a Grade 2 bolt, other dealer says to use a Grade 5 bolt. I don't want to damage my tractor's PTO so I'm inclined to go with the weaker Grade 2 Bolt. Any suggestions or advice? Thanx!

MGregoir & HM12460, Thanks to both of you for your quick responses. I definitely will be buying Grade 2 bolts to use as "shear pins". Thanks again.

+1 on the grade 2. I grew up chopping about everything you could think of with Bush Hog mowers - brush, corn stalks, gopher mounds, etc. The mowers are much tougher than the PTO of the tractor, especially if it's a 540rpm. You want the weakest link to be that shear bolt. I'll bet the grade 2 will be in there for years, or until you hit your next stump.

Fastener strength table

Wayne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back