How much would you sell this rifle for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won the rifle shown in the pictures. It is a Remington 700 BDL, SS, .300 Win Mag with a 24" barrel. I won it at a Hunter's banquet and am feeling pretty lucky! It came brand new in the box with all paperwork, etc.

The problem is that I already have plenty of hunting rifles I am happy with, I don't reload, and don't want to get into .300 Win mag. I want to instead sell this and buy a .223 or .243 varmint gun.

Trying to figure out how much I should realistically sell this for through Gun Broker or other places.

Locally, the same rifle sells for $723.00.

Any thoughts?

2i9lya.jpg

11t4v8o.jpg

m38eg.jpg

I'd look at some of the gun sites and see what they are selling for....

You could maybe take it to a gun shop and trade it for the caliber that you want?

Originally Posted By: kballowe

You could maybe take it to a gun shop and trade it for the caliber that you want?

When I tried that locally, I ran into low-balling. The rifle has an MSRP of 925 bucks (which means absolutely nothing) and sells for 723 bucks. When I brought it in to trade, one guy offered 525 bucks store credit, which is not what a NIB Remington 700 should go for, that I do know.

About what the other USED Rem 700 BDL's sell for on gunbroker would be my guess?

Be sure to check sold items. The vast majority of firearms for sale online are way over priced.

I checked gunbroker the other day for a rifle I am looking for. I found about 200 different completed auctions and only one of them sold. Everything was over priced.

Why don't you trade it at a local shop for something you want?

If a new one sells for 723 in the shop I think $525 store credit is a fair deal. Like it or not your gun is now used.

OK, so the economy is not the best - and - deer season is virtually "over" for the majority of hunters that would want this rifle. Or any rifle.

BUT.... SOMEONE might need a Christmas present......

Some local shops, especially if you get to know the owner will sell it on consignment for you. Deal only with the owner though and preferably one you have a relationship with. Make sure there is no rigmarole in getting it back if it doesn't move in a certain time.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
If a new one sells for 723 in the shop I think $525 store credit is a fair deal. Like it or not your gun is now used.

I agree, even though it's never been fired, it's competing with the NIB versions that sell for $723. If I was looking to buy it, I would offer you $500 cash.

A friend won a jukebox years ago, and the best he could get from anyone was about 70% of the going price.

OK, so the economy is not the best - and - deer season is virtually "over" for the majority of hunters that would want this rifle. Or any rifle.

BUT.... SOMEONE might need a Christmas present......

lol.gif

Yes, especially in that state with the ridiculously short deer season.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: milwaukee

I agree, even though it's never been fired, it's competing with the NIB versions that sell for $723. If I was looking to buy it, I would offer you $500 cash.

A friend won a jukebox years ago, and the best he could get from anyone was about 70% of the going price.

Ah, but he has the box, so any store owner will likely turn around and sell it as new, especially if there are no marks on it.

300 Win Mag's on Remington 700 actions are far from just deer rifles. Google "customizing Remington 700 and .300 win mag".

.300 Winchester Magnum is a long used sniper rifle in the Marine Corp and other government entities.

Moreover, accurized 300 win mags built on 700 actions are 1300 yard gong clangers.

A little bit of misinformation in here and that's why i seldom ask questions on this board anymore. In fact, I think my time here is coming to an end.

This is directed at the user "Milwaukee" who doesn't know what she is talking about.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd find a seller with the gun you really want and simply offer your new-in-the-box rifle as trade, with cash on the side as necessary to square up the deal. Bring it to a gun show and see what kind of offers you get. Those guys will likely be more generous and certainly more open to trades.

Oh, and to the people who have no idea what they're saying: Guns aren't like cars. This gun is new. Not used.

This gun is still NIB. It's unfired and has all the factory paperwork etc. You might try listing it on GunBroker as such and see if you can move it. List it at close to the others you've seen sell there and be happy with what you get since the thing was free. If you set a reserve too high you can always negotiate with the last bidder or relist it at a lower reserve.

As another said try to find a dealer that will sell it on consignment but good luck on that. Why should they sell your gun when they can sell a new one and make more $$

A dealer isn't likely to give you much more than the $525 you were offered. Why should they? If they have to pay close to their normal price they'll just order one through their normal channels when they need one. They might sit on this one for months.

You might find someone at a gun show to do a trade but I doubt you'll do much better with them. Around here the sellers at gun shows always seem to think that everything they have is special and should bring top dollar. I've seen guys hauling the same rifles into gun shows for 5 years thinking someday they'll get retail for them. Never going to happen.

Bottom line. You have nothing in this rifle. If you want to sell it, price it to sell...

Yes, a .300 mag is more than a deer rifle. We all know that.
However, there are many that buy one with the intent of Elk hunting or Moose hunting or bear or whatever and never use it for anything but deer, or maybe the occasional trip to the range.

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Last time I checked, the only rifles that were selling were those that sold... right around deer season. Check with the gun shops and they'll tell you that they cannot keep handguns (or ammunition) in stock but that rifles and shotguns are moving really slow right now.

An alternative may be to list it but you may have to hold it until February or March when folks are getting their income tax refunds.

Just trying to be helpful.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
300 Win Mag's on Remington 700 actions are far from just deer rifles. Google "customizing Remington 700 and .300 win mag".

.300 Winchester Magnum is a long used sniper rifle in the Marine Corp and other government entities.

Moreover, accurized 300 win mags built on 700 actions are 1300 yard gong clangers.

A little bit of misinformation in here and that's why i seldom ask questions on this board anymore. In fact, I think my time here is coming to an end.

This is directed at the user "Milwaukee" who doesn't know what she is talking about.

Grow up and stop acting like a baby's butt.

Judging from your comments I have forgot more about guns and shooting since lunch than you know. Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted. I have only bought and sold thousands of guns in my life but you just go ahead and do whatever you see fit since you got it all figured out. Such a smart guy should know how much a common gun is worth without asking questions....and then getting bent because she didn't like the answer.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A 300 Win. mag can make an awesome varmit caliber!!!
Seriously I would keep it. It is a real nice rifle and it didn't cost you a whole lot. Why do I say this? I have a 300 Wheatherby that I inheritied and I have no real love of shooting it, but I have shot it and at 100 yards 3 shots make a tight cloverleaf [from the bench]. So every once in a while I look at it and say cool. It is there if I ever need a powerful rifle.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

When I tried that locally, I ran into low-balling. The rifle has an MSRP of 925 bucks (which means absolutely nothing) and sells for 723 bucks. When I brought it in to trade, one guy offered 525 bucks store credit, which is not what a NIB Remington 700 should go for, that I do know.
What can the dealer buy one wholesale for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back