MMO in the Crank/Clutch Oil? Anyone w/Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1982 KZ1100A (shaft) with a little over 19k miles. I have Seafoam in the gas, changed the oil and filter a couple of times over about 200 miles, have tightened the float bowl screws, and cleaned/re-gasketed the air filter.

I also replaced the spark plugs. After that, it really perked up. Plugs 1, 2, and 4 were normal. Plug #3 looked as if someone had had dipped it in black ink. I had some smoke out of the right side exhaust, as well. I'm thinking there's a possibility of stuck rings on #3 cylinder.

The oil was pitch black when I first drained it. The previous owner from the guy I bought it from was a female. My guess is it was a widow selling it to the guy I bought it from. There were indications of neglect/dirt/oil from a not-thorough-enough cleaning from the woman to me. It came with no oral history, but it could very well have not had great oil changes and timely care.

The oil filter didn't have any scary bits in it. I plan on another short interval or two with the Mobil conventional HDO 15w-40 (in the 4qt black bottle...I can't remember at this moment what it's called...I plead CRS).

I have no problem being patient through the next couple of oil changes, but it wouldn't kill me to try out some MMO in the gas and oil. Has anyone had any experience with MMO in the engine/clutch oil? Did it do bad things, good things, or was it pretty much invisible in it's clutch use effects?

Thanks.

I called and spoke to a tech at Rislone - who confirmed that their concentrate product was approved for use in wet clutch applications.....

I used 2 ounces per quart of oil - ran bike for a 30min highway romp - and two very short OCI's....... now everything is nice and golden....:) FWIW

If I was you I'd get some Yamaha ring free and do the shock treatment they recommend in the directions. Redline or one of the other good carbon cleaners would work well also IMO.

Thank you all for your input.

I went ahead and put a couple of oz. in 5gal of fuel for the top end, and a couple of oz in the oil fill for the wet clutch. I had some good riding weather and wanted to take advantage of it.

The clutch action over the 50miles or so has been outstanding...no problems at all. The oil in the view glass looks pretty dirty for so little miles. I expected that even w/out MMO.

The thing is running like a scalded cat now. I did a couple of runs up to 7.5 grand and it's running like it's supposed to. It's hard to say whether it's the MMO or the Seafoam, but it was not running this good the several times previous that I'd mashed the gas like that. It's a bike that's new to me, but I had a CB1100F in the past and only after MMO was this one running like the old CB1100F that I remember.

The MMO site advised it was no problem running it in a MC. I would have felt better if it would have clearly stated it meant a shared oil motorcycle, but since most are I suppose they felt they didn't need to state it. Or, a healthy dose of CYA may have been involved.

So far, so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back