Manifold Removal 1999 Acura 3.2 TL(EGR port clean)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures- http://img264.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=acuramotor.jpg (pics were taken after cleaning. The port shown was completely clogged. They aren't the best as I took them on my phone.

Just finished removing an intake manifold on my mothers 99 Acura TL. These cars have a issue with the EGR port which is in the manifold clogging completely with carbon. It presents as a failing EGR. Honda supplies a kit with the EGR valve gasket and a tube that you can ram into the existing port. I threw the tube away and used a bore brush for my AR-15 to thoroughly clean all of the ports.

After I was done I used a vacuum to clean the ports and threads of carbon. Installed new intake gasket (metal multiple layer one) torqued to spec and reassembled all connections. I also replaced the stock PCV valve and cleaned the throttle body. The EGR was replaced about 6 months ago but at the time I thought I could get away without cleaning the port. I was wrong!
lol.gif
That's what I get for being lazy.

Wanted to share this as it is very common and presents as a EGR valve issue. In most cars this is usually the culprit, just not in these. FWIW.

Last edited:
I think im going to start posting pictures of spark plugs. Seems to be more interesting to people here.........
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I think im going to start posting pictures of spark plugs. Seems to be more interesting to people here.........
grin2.gif

All that people wanna do here is flame on foreign/domestic.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Yep, that's very common in the 99-01 3.2 V6 engines. Known issue, that's been going on for almost 10 years now.

Not to be picky but the 99 was offered in a 3.0 not a 3.2 in the TL

I realize this. The purpose was for people who are maybe not aware of this issue. Not everyone is as into this stuff as we are.

Smoky14- Are you saying that acura didnt offer a 3.2 V-6 in 1999? Thats strange because I must have the only one sitting in my garage right now.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Yep, that's very common in the 99-01 3.2 V6 engines. Known issue, that's been going on for almost 10 years now.

Not to be picky but the 99 was offered in a 3.0 not a 3.2 in the TL

No sir, the 3.0 was only offered in 97 and 98 Acura CL's. 99 TL only came with the 3.2 engine. Not to be confused with the earlier 90 degree 3.2 V6 offered in the Legend and 96-98 TL.

Yeah I usually have my good Canon camera handy. Guess my girlfriend took it for some bridal shower so I was left with my [censored] phone camera!
lol.gif
Never again. Thanks though!

For fifteen bucks its cheap insurance. I have quite a few parts for this car I purchased a while back as well. One was the intake gasket. I have never reused one if I recall. I prefer piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
These cars have a issue with the EGR port which is in the manifold clogging completely with carbon. It presents as a failing EGR.

How does one know when to disassemble and clean it? Wait for a CEL and a particular code? Or are there other signs beforehand?

There is virtually no effect upon drivability when this happens. The car in question had no check engine lights at all until this one popped up at around 120,000. Before knowing about this, I just replaced the EGR valve. Everything pointed to it being faulty. Later I discovered this fix.

Some will say let it go until you pop a CEL. I now knowing about it, would say clean it at 100K. I look at EGR valves as something to be replaced at about 100K anyway. These ones are not all that expensive either. It's personal preference. Its also very easy to remove these intakes.

$15 for IM gasket seems pretty cheap, as Rock Auto wants about $22 (and about $65-70 for the EGR valve - non OEM). Where do you buy your parts, and are they OEM?

Does any one spray the intake with Amsoil Intake Cleaner or other brands? As long as EGR's have been around their have been issues with carbon in itakes but for years those of us that grew up working on carbs knew that just becuase it was fuel injected did not mean it was carbon proof. Keep in mind early fuel injection systems where nothign like they are today. SO a lot of guys would spray an intake manifold with carb cleaner every 20K or so while running it at 2-3K RPM's........ I think what happened is all the people that grew up with modern fuel injection have just gotten used to things being almost maintence free.

I have a friend who is a acura parts guy. I get 25-30% off all acura parts. Im a believer in OEM stuff especially in Toyota Honda vehicles. Not gonna catch me at checkers getting those cars misc parts. Lately the only autoparts store I ever go into is NAPA, and and thats due to others having inferior quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back