Problems greasing u joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is concerning my 2002 Ram 1500 2wd. I am sure it did not come from the factory with greasable u joints so I will assume that they were changed at some point. The ones on there are greasable but I cannot access them. I can see them but the fitting on my gun is straight and too tall. It hits the yoke before it locks onto the zerk. Anyone else run inot this. Any fittings that might make greasing these SOBs possible, or should I just run them till they need changing?

Are you saying the fitting on the grease gun has a diameter too large to fit into where the zirc fitting is? If so there are available smaller diameter grease gun fittings I really can't recall the proper name of the fitting ,also about 2 feet of the flexable hose is a really nice feature to have on a grease gun as well.

I have a flexible hose and a slightly thinner fitting on the gun that works well on my U-joints. Not sure if you can actually buy the thinner fitting, I chucked mine into the lathe and turned it down slightly. But the flex hose alone might be the ticket for you. Most auto parts stores sell the flex hose.

I may just stroll on over to AA or Oreillys and see what different fittings may be available. Maybe an angled one would work too, when I change these out I just may install angled zerks.

they coulda also put the ujoint in backwards, it puts the grease sitting at an angle that is impossible to get to when its assembled

Okayyyyy, so 90* dosent work. The front joint I can access with regular fitting. There are no rain clouds overhead so I can finally see decently. The back one appears to be installed backwards, not that I would be able to get to that one if it was installed correctly either. The front one will not take grease. It all comes out at the fitting as I am pumping. The ball in the zerk works too, swapped it out anyway and still wont take grease. I will just leave it be for the rest of it short life and buy some lifetime ones and make bank off of the replacements.

We have a 2003 Tundra 4WD purchased new. I could not get the front driveshaft zerks to take grease. The grease gun fitting diameter was just too large...so I ground it down to a smaller diameter. Doesn't look pretty, but it works! Also works better on the Caradan-joint's 2 outer fittings.
But I do understand your frustration. I have an old 1949 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. I changed the universals a year back and greased them good before putting the propeller shaft back on...because I have yet to figure out a way to get a grease gun fitting...even my ground-down one to fit over the Zerks...and I installed angle zerks...and I did NOT install the universals backwards.
Good luck!

My Jeep has the same problem, but I can just drop the shaft at one end and swing it to the side to clear the fitting. Might be an option???

Yep, dropping an axle and swinging it away is usually an option.

Harborfreight has an adapter set for grease guns that'll allow you to get to the fittings when your current tip is too fat.

I usually just unscrew the hose from the grease gun, remove the hose adapter from the 'fittings', and connect the 'various fitting tips' directly to the grease gun or directly to the hose bypassing the prone to leak couplings.

You'll sometimes need 2 people to grease a ujoint. One person to hold the 'adapter tip' true to the zerk, and the other to 'slowly' pump the grease if you don't have the luxury of air/electric gun. This is when having several grease guns, all with different pre-mounted tips/hoses...., is a benefit.

I hate just letting them dry up and go bad without trying something. I was going to put a 90* zerk in place of the straight one and try to wing it from there. The wrench wont fit. I might try to drop the shaft if I get bored at work during the week, otherwise I may just drop the shaft and replace them as I dont know how long they been on there.

many u joints do not havea zerk, just a bb in a cup. Perhaps you can use a rubber or needle injector to just get some grease past the bearing in the zerk?

George, thanks for the link. That is something that will come in handy, but, I will probably add to my toolbox, but wont help me in this situation. The fitting sits under the yoke and the only way to get to the top of it would be to drop the driveshaft. If I drop the driveshaft, I may as well replace the joints.
I thought about it a while last night and decided to stop by Napa on my way to work tomorrow afternoon and pick up some new joints. I dont know how long these have been on the truck, and by the position of the rear joint, I know they havent been serviced properly, so I will put in new pieces for my piece of mind and I will know how they are serviced.

Last edited:
Now, new u joints replaced on both front and rear of driveshaft as of 45 minutes ago. They werent ready to fail yet but the rear one (one with backwards zerk) was getting pretty dry. $25 for piece of mind is worth it to me.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
We have a 2003 Tundra 4WD purchased new. I could not get the front driveshaft zerks to take grease. The grease gun fitting diameter was just too large...so I ground it down to a smaller diameter. Doesn't look pretty, but it works! Also works better on the Caradan-joint's 2 outer fittings.
But I do understand your frustration. I have an old 1949 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. I changed the universals a year back and greased them good before putting the propeller shaft back on...because I have yet to figure out a way to get a grease gun fitting...even my ground-down one to fit over the Zerks...and I installed angle zerks...and I did NOT install the universals backwards.
Good luck!

Had the same problem with my Tundra 4x4, asked a local mechanic and he recommended a Grease Gun Adapter (bottom of page)
st705822.jpg

They're used to grease chainsaws, it works like a charm and costs less than $5. Not sure if it would work for the OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back