Schaeffer's 221 vs Amsoil water resistant grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am using the Amsoil water resistant stuff as my go-to grease for everything from boat trailer bearings to vehicle suspensions, I found a Schaeffer's distributor by my house and wonder is how their 221 and 228 greases compare to the Amsoil stuff.
Also, while were at it, how do the Schaeffer's products (221 and 228) compare to Amsoil GHD?

Last edited:
I do not like to mix grease. Many vehicle suspensions, greasable wheel bearings, universal joints, etc. have a history of lithium or lith. complex lubrication. With boat trailer bearings, it's not so 'clear-cut.' Many use the alumn.-base grease, such as the Schaeffers products. Others are LC-based. I'm assuming the Amsoil product you've been using is LC. If so, it's likely given you good service, so why switch?...and, yes, I know that many grease bases are compatable...but with Lithium Complex, you are sure...for instance we know there are no issues when you change from Chevron Delo LC #2 to Amsoil LC #2, etc.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
I do not like to mix grease. Many vehicle suspensions, greasable wheel bearings, universal joints, etc. have a history of lithium or lith. complex lubrication. With boat trailer bearings, it's not so 'clear-cut.' Many use the alumn.-base grease, such as the Schaeffers products. Others are LC-based. I'm assuming the Amsoil product you've been using is LC. If so, it's likely given you good service, so why switch?...and, yes, I know that many grease bases are compatable...but with Lithium Complex, you are sure...for instance we know there are no issues when you change from Chevron Delo LC #2 to Amsoil LC #2, etc.

why have ground chuck if prime rib is the same price?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Your using prime rib now.

My using prime rib now what?
lol.gif

You will have no issues with compatibility between these 3. Tough to outperform the 221 or the 238.

The Amsoil GWR water resistant grease has a lithium complex base. The Schaeffer greases have an aluminum complex base. The aluminum complex is always more water resistant than the LC base.

You don't want the very heavy duty, very tacky #238 grease in small bearings...auto wheel bearing size. Use 238 on the bucket pins on your excavator. The synthetic blend #274 is a much better choice, or the excellent, low cost #221. I use 274 in my truck's driveshaft u-joints and spline, and after a winter of wet road driving the grease that comes out the next time is never milky looking with entrained water.

There is no compatibility problem mixing Schaeffer's version of aluminum complex with LC. And, the Schaeffer's is, what?, half the price of the Amsoil. It is probably longer lasting as well. Try this...get some of the 274 or 221. Grease your bearings with this, then the next time, don't regrease if you can inspect and see if the grease that's in there still look good. It probably does look good and does not need replacement on your usual schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back