Changing own oil effect factory warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you keep all receipts does changing your own oil negatively effect a factory warranty? I have an '09 2.7 Tacoma with 8K miles on it. I had the first oil change performed at the dealer. I saw the quarts they poured in and the were Toyota brand however good are bad that is. I figure I could save a bit by doing it myself. I do a lot of short trip driving so I am thinking a 3K mile interval might be best?????

Yes it does affect warranty but in a positive way, you'll never have to use it because you will do the job right.

Use a quality oil and change it out 5000 miles or 6 months to keep the warranty intact.

Enjoy the Taco and welcome to BITOG

+1 WELCOME!!!
If you do a lot of short trips, the 3K OCI is probably recommended in your owners's manual. Even if it isn't, you just can't go OVER the mileage recommendations in the manual. I use one of the flaps showing the oil filter # and fill in the date, type of oil used, and the mileage. If you really want to back yourself up, staple the receipt for the oil to the flap. When you go to sell the truck, just think what effect having an envelope full of oil receipts will have on a potential buyer.

Originally Posted By: deven
Yes it does affect warranty but in a positive way, you'll never have to use it because you will do the job right.

x2
I always wondered how the dealer could offer $39 oil changes for my truck, when the cost for the parts alone was just about $40...and there's no way of knowing if they put quality oil in there, let alone oil that meets Cummins specs.

I'll do it right, and do it myself.

To get the real answer, read your warranty paperwork. It will not require maintenance at the dealership, but read it for your peace of mind. Another option is any licensed auto repair shop--save the receipts. For home maintenance, save receipts and keep a log book, maybe with photos of the job and the odometer. Yes, an oil related warranty claim is a million in one shot, but be ready for anything.

A so-called extended warranty is something different. It is not actually a warranty regardless of what the salesliar called it. It is a prepaid service contract. You are bound by whatever is in the fine print in the paperwork. Read it, understand it, and follow it.

If you ever need warranty work never admit to being on the severe schedule.

GM for example put you severe at "most trips" (eg commute) under 10 miles below freezing, or 4 miles above. Since you live in the South that means only 4 miles... so if you have a 5 mile commute you're golden.

If you want complete peace-of-mind, you will make photocopies of oil and filter receipts (originals fade).

You will take digital photos during the oil change, with the date/time stamp on the photos.

And you will keep a log with dates, times, mileage, oil brands and viscosities, when you top up, etc.

You should never need this much documentation, but if you have it then I don't see how anyone could dispute your warranty claim.

I have 3 Toyotas now under warranty and change my own oil. I keep detailed records of mileage/date and keep receipts, use quality synthetic oils of the viscosity recommended and do 5000 mile intervals as recommended by Toyota. I use either PureOne or factory filters. The service writers at both Toyota & Lexus dealerships have only told me that what I am doing is fine because I am using high quality oils. Never a problem. Just keep a log book on your vehicle and you will be fine.

I cut the proof of purchase bar codes off the oil box & filter box.

Last edited:
I think you should take video footage of yourself then take a copy of the receipt down to the county clerk and get it notarized. Make 3 copies of the video give one to your attorney keep one in safe deposit box and send the other to the dealership. Then need a picture of you pouring the oil in with a newspaper with the date on it. Keep all empty bottles, used oil and filters, catalog them and store them and send off a sample of the used oil and new oil to lab for analysis. Finally write a 1000 word essay describing your thoughts and feelings during this oil change.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
If your warranty work can be traced back to a oil related problem then it is very likely that you would have to demonstrate (in a very believable way)that you were maintaining your vehicle properly.

I am no expert but i can tell you what I do:

I have a graph notebook for each vehicle I own. When I do a oil change or anything else, I note the date, milage, vehicle and what maintanence was performed. I keep all receipts stored in my garage (in a shoe-box).

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I think you should take video footage of yourself then take a copy of the receipt down to the county clerk and get it notarized. Make 3 copies of the video give one to your attorney keep one in safe deposit box and send the other to the dealership. Then need a picture of you pouring the oil in with a newspaper with the date on it. Keep all empty bottles, used oil and filters, catalog them and store them and send off a sample of the used oil and new oil to lab for analysis. Finally write a 1000 word essay describing your thoughts and feelings during this oil change.
crackmeup2.gif

+1,000,000

And dont forget the thumbprint on the newspaper made with mobil 1. And leave an arm hair sample in the filter gasket in case someone touches it!

Originally Posted By: Prisonhack
As long as you keep all receipts does changing your own oil negatively effect a factory warranty? I have an '09 2.7 Tacoma with 8K miles on it. I had the first oil change performed at the dealer. I saw the quarts they poured in and the were Toyota brand however good are bad that is. I figure I could save a bit by doing it myself. I do a lot of short trip driving so I am thinking a 3K mile interval might be best?????
Short answer, no it will not affect your warranty. I too keep all of my routine maintenance receipts for any vehicles that I may have that are under warranty-just in case.

Originally Posted By: robbobster
Originally Posted By: deven

x2
I always wondered how the dealer could offer $39 oil changes for my truck, when the cost for the parts alone was just about $40...and there's no way of knowing if they put quality oil in there, let alone oil that meets Cummins specs.

I'll do it right, and do it myself.
Read that fine print
wink.gif
It's likely the $39 only covers 4 or 5 qts of oil, and the filter at the bare MINIMUM :)

I know that's how WM, Tire Kingdom, and Meineke are for their oil change services, the price covers 5 qts of oil, and the filter, plus whatever "extra" services they do (top off all fluids, wash windshield, vacuum carpet, lube chassis if applicable, etc.) and if your vehicle holds 6+ quarts, you'd be charged the cost of those extra quarts :)

Got a bud who works at WM and some people get really confused there they come in with big trucks, and see the price at the end after the oil change, and go HUH what happened to $30? But yea, they charge extra for every quart over 5
wink.gif

Then you got some places that will harge a "recycling fee" I heard about....lol. I think Tire Kingdom may have been one that got "caught" by this...as if they pay someonme to pick up their used oil - nope, they don't - they got tankers that pick it up for FREE - likely to be re-refined, reused, rebottled, or burned for fuel in the winter :)

On the internet people fall all over themselves on how warranty work was denied because of oil changes .

In the real world I have never heard of it unless the oil is like it had saw dust in it.

Keep your receipts and record the mileage when you change the oil just in case any warranty issues pop up and they want to see proof of maintenance. Keep receipts for all maintenance you do for that matter. With that out the way........in my 20+ years of doing my own maintenance on my new cars and trucks that are/were under warranty, I've never, ever, had to produce my maintenance logs or receipts for warranty work, etc.

It's been said too.....by doing the oil change your self, it should alleviate any "lubrication issue" :) So you shouldn't have to worry about filing a claim anyhow....at least you don't have to worry about the "mechanic" forgetting to add oil, or adding the oil before the drain plug is in :p

Keep a log and you'll be fine. Plus, newer cars/trucks I'm sure keep track of when you reset your OLM (oil life monitor). And as for how the dealers can offer $39 oil changes or similar quick oil change places is by buying stuff (oil & filters) wholesale.

They pay .50 a quart and $1.50 per filter (something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back