fixed a rust spot questions on topcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that fixed a rust spot on my jeeps hood. He used a grinder and got the rust off, applied some eastman rust transformer, some bondo, and about 3 coats of primer. I just added the touch up paint and it looks great.

Do I need to add clear over it or should just the 2 coats of the touch up paint be enough?

I am detailing the jeep tomorrow and was also wondering if my buffer will take up the new touch up paint?

I wouldn't bother painting it.. because the method you used won't work. You need something like POR 15 or else the rust will come right back.

rust converter is good stuff if done right and truly seals the rust out past where it actually formed. I'd seal it as designed by the manufacturer.

Also, keep in mind that often they say that the paint jobs need up to two months to cure - I think this is especially true if there was no heat-curing.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wouldn't bother painting it.. because the method you used won't work. You need something like POR 15 or else the rust will come right back.

[censored]! Not if he got it down to bare steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back