Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I what I think is preety impresive is how the Ecore did when you look at their insanely low cost. I think they $2.50 or less now!That is good bang for the buck even if it is not super impresive!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It should be. It is FL-1A sized. PL169071

Donaldson has a good reputation. I wonder if it's full synth media.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I what I think is preety impresive is how the Ecore did when you look at their insanely low cost. I think they $2.50 or less now!That is good bang for the buck even if it is not super impresive!

Ya. They are far from my favorites, but I used to be really skeptical of their design and now I figure for a cheap filter, no worries. I use them sometimes why not.

The media is glass synth. I've got a pic of it here somewhere.... Though I'm sure you'll find out when you cut it up
wink.gif

Ya. We'll get some new pictures.
Wish I could get the camera to take pictures through the old microscope we have. Now that would be cool.

I'm pretty pleased with the closeups I got though. If you look closely at one then the other back and forth, you can actually see a difference in density/porosity in the medias.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I'm pretty pleased with the closeups I got though. If you look closely at one then the other back and forth, you can actually see a difference in density/porosity in the medias.

Yep ... can certainly see a visual difference in the media between the Purolator Classic and the PureONE. Good pixs.

I'm assuming all 3 (PureONE/Classic/Bosch) above have the same bypass valve design (?).

Yes quite a bit of difference. Pure One and its Bosch clone are a great filter. Even the Classic is a very good filter, sure beats the orange can of death.

Excellent pics, thanks, they all look to be well made filters.

Like Busa, wondering if the bypass on the Bosch is the same as the Puro's. (Puro design)

From looking, would you say the media is the same for the Bosch and the Pure One? So far, they seem to be testing the same.

Oh, and nice Welsh Corgi.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Oh, and nice Welsh Corgi.

Hey thanks, you guessed it! Not too many of these friendly little cattle herders around.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the bypasses, etc.,
..the answer is yes these three filters appear identical in every way except that the Classic has a nitrile ADBV and the P1/Bosch use silicon.
In fact, if I hadn't marked them with a Sharpie before I removed the innards, I could have easily mixed them up.

Oh yeah:
From looking, would you say the media is the same for the Bosch and the Pure One? So far, they seem to be testing the same.

Yes to me the Bosch and P1 medias look the same, the Puro Classic is a bit courser on closeup. With the naked eye, I can't tell the difference in any of them, but with the camera close-up, I'd say the the P1/Bosch are the same.
(Also, the color tint only looks slightly different in the photos but not at all just looking at them.)

Oh yeah:

Yes to me the Bosch and P1 medias look the same, the Puro Classic is a bit courser on closeup. With the naked eye, I can't tell the difference in any of them, but with the camera close-up, I'd say the the P1/Bosch are the same.
(Also, the color tint only looks slightly different in the photos but not at all just looking at them.)
Gotcha! That's what I was wondering, if due to lighting, camera, lens etc. was there a difference between pics posted and what you actually see.

As for your dog, the Corgi's remind me of a mini-lassie (collie). Like mini me.
wink.gif

Great job, you've really put some answers and good information to many questions posters have had here regarding these and other filters.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Yep ... can certainly see a visual difference in the media between the Purolator Classic and the PureONE.

I don't doubt that labman said the newer Purolator product that he cut apart had less media if he says so, but look at these. How could you get any more media on these? You couldn't.
This is what I'm seeing on all the puro models I use and have cut apart. The pleats are touching each other and held open by the embossed ridges. You might squeeze in two more pleats by the seam--that's it.
I don't see a problem here. And these are the latest versions--not old stock

DSC01565.jpg

Yep ... can certainly see a visual difference in the media between the Purolator Classic and the PureONE.

I don't doubt that labman said the newer Purolator product that he cut apart had less media if he says so, but look at these. How could you get any more media on these? You couldn't.

From the photos, it looks like they all have the same number of pleats to me. Maybe you can count them to verify. Maybe labman should actually post photos so he has some credibility ... seems I don't have any left because I use the term 'cardboard' to describe any filter that doen't have metal endcaps.
lol.gif

From the photos, it looks like they all have the same number of pleats to me. Maybe you can count them to verify.

Ya - I did actually. They all have exactly 60 pleats.

This is what I'm seeing on all the puro models I use and have cut apart. The pleats are touching each other and held open by the embossed ridges. You might squeeze in two more pleats by the seam--that's it.
I don't see a problem here. And these are the latest versions--not old stock

DSC01565.jpg

Thanks for all the great filter testing river_rat. I'm totally convinced the the P1 and Bosch are the same. I also think Purolator has the best filters and at the best prices.

From the photos, it looks like they all have the same number of pleats to me. Maybe you can count them to verify.

Ya - I did actually. They all have exactly 60 pleats.

That is interesting they were all the same. I cut open two Purolators for my application and the PremiumPlus(Classic now) had 68 pleats and the PureOne had a few less at 63.

Looking at all three, including the new Classic, I'm not seeing any empty cans. The last Prem. Plus I cut open after use, was an L14610. It too looked very solid and plenty of media.

Just as I'm currently running two AAP Total Grips right now, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the filters shown. 97.5% for the Classic, ain't chopped liver.

If I had to pick one brand, I'd think it'd be Purolator, either classic or P1, but I'm a filter buff, and all filters filter....so that ain't gonna happen.
happy2.gif

I like the Mobil 1 and K&Ns a lot too.

I guess they've settled long enough for a reading.
The Puro Classic appeared to filter nearly as good as the Bosch/PureONE, but you can see (or maybe you can't because of the flash) there is a bit more grit up on the left side of the tube than the Bosch/PureONE tubes. Just for visual relativity, I put a Denso in this test.
(This oil/talc + flour mixture is a bit weaker than some of the previous tests, because I topped up the bath with some clean oil. But the point is comparing A to B, and B to C, etc., not how high the grit stacks in the tubes.)

Left to Right; Bosch, Denso, PureONE, and Purolator Classic:

LtoR-BoDeP1Cl.jpg

From the photos, it looks like they all have the same number of pleats to me. Maybe you can count them to verify. Maybe labman should actually post photos so he has some credibility ... seems I don't have any left because I use the term 'cardboard' to describe any filter that doen't have metal endcaps.
lol.gif

You are saying I am a liar? If my word isn't good enough for you, I don't need you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back