Suggestions for '08 CBR1000RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
There isn't much, at least from my searches, on a good synthetic oil for an '08 Honda CBR1000RR or similiar application. Right now I'm running Dino Honda GN4 to break in the engine etc. I'll probably continue this for several thousand miles (I only have 150 mi so far) until some good break in has been accomplished.

After the break in, I'd like to switch over to synthetic but I am still on the fence about motorcycle oil versus a good non energy conserving car oil etc etc. Can anyone help narrow the field a bit?

In the Second Edition of Amsoil's comparison's of motorcycle oils, the Valvoline Dino based 10W-40 ranked very well and came in 5th place. It is a very decent petroleum based oil from a company that is highly respected in racing and engineering. That should serve you well for purposes of break-in and short oil change cycles.

Retail its $3.99/qt (Autozone) and although it may go on sale, it is certainly not going to be discounted significantly. In motorcycle oils, it is a good quality oil with a value price.

Another option but more expensive is Golden Spectro 4 Synthetic Blend which did well in Amsoil's First Edition. I've used it and can attest to its quality...quiet at an idle and capable of handling felonious speed and rpm, if you like to break in your Honda at 135 mph.
grin2.gif
You will usually find Golden Spectro at a motorcycle dealership. Spectro's website can direct you where to look for their oil.

Having used Spectro Products as well as Motul, I found the Amsoil First and Second editions to be rather "spot on" with some of the characteristics they reported. Very interesting but companies do change their formulas as evidenced by the VOA posted on this website.

My own personal experience with motorcycle oil to date has been that a 50/50 blend works best: 50% dino, 50% synthetic and not the 30/70 that is being sold.

The HDEO oils are a very reasonable and very competent alternative to motorcycle oils that do not shear as quickly as car oils and at 2500 miles, look like the OCI is WAY EARLY based upon the oil's appearance. Have had excellent results with them up to 2500 miles and it is easy to drain and refill while leaving the same filter in place.

I do not need to mention that Rotella, Delvac and Delo are the standard by which all oils are judged, and with good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back