Great Neck 24v Cordless Impact for $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys is selling the Great Neck 24v Cordless Impact for $50 after MIR on Black Friday.

http://www.dealigg.com/blackfriday-2009-Great-Neck-24v-Cordless-Impact-Wrench

Here are the specs:

http://www.greatnecksaw.com/index.php?cPath=21_76_81

For taking off tires and the occasional brake job, is this tool worth a try? I've had pretty bad experiences with cheap tools, but I was wondering if any of you have used this particular impact wrench as a junkyard tool or as a back-up impact wrench.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Great Neck...bad head.

Made in China....but you know that eh?

Yeah, I know.

People said that this one is near identical to the very popular Goodyear cordless impact.

Don't know about that one but I find the biggest drawback of cheap chinese tools is the battery pack. The tool is usually good, the battery is like 1992 technology. Often I buy cheap tools knowing the battery is the weak point and rebuild the battery myself to better specifications...

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Often I buy cheap tools knowing the battery is the weak point and rebuild the battery myself to better specifications...

Do tell.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Often I buy cheap tools knowing the battery is the weak point and rebuild the battery myself to better specifications...

Do tell.

Well, with the 18v tools I bought from Harbor Freight, I use an aftermarket, automatic cut off NiCd/NiMh multi-voltage charger. This is a thousand times better than the "dumb" battery cookers that cheap tools usually come with. I use it for all my power tools from 7.2v to 18v, and it only cost about $25.

The other thing is the cells are usually just low quality and low capacity. That's how they get away with selling it so cheap. Most of the time, inside the plastic battery shell, are standard size rechargeable batteries. In the case of my HF 18v tools, they all have 15 "sub C" size NiCd cells in them rated at about 1000mah. I can buy 15 new NiMh sub C cells on ebay with a 4500mah capacity and more than quadruple my run time. Plus, quality batteries should give you years of service, while cheap batteries will not.

Originally Posted By: Silk

Made in China....but you know that eh?

LOL I have a Milwaukee that was made in USA but I think that's a thing of the past; Milwaukee is know owned by the Chinese and if they're not being made in China yet, they will be.

Its a wonderful tool however.

I was checking into Milwaukee; evidently they've been owned by Techtronics for a few years but their website is somewhat vague as to what or where that company is located. Ryobi, Homelite, Hoover and others are owned by them also.

My Milwaukee stuff all dates from the days when they were owned by Atlas Copco which I believe was a European company.

Hmm, living in a place with no power where I do car work, this could save me lots of time and hassle when rotating tires. And other car tasks.

Use the battery pack it comes with, replace it when it dies and I have money to get a proper pack with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back