Auto RX Skeptic turned Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a believer in Auto-RX even though I'm 80K past its treatment. It did treat a seeping rear main and when I pulled my valve covers last year my internals were clean with the usual film of varnish.

It's the only stuff I feel comfortable using to clean an engine up. I'm about to use it on a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe that may benefit from it.

It has been noted many times over the years that there are a few users that don't see or don't want to see the benefits of Auto-Rx.

Heck we had a few people claimed to have use it with no change and bashed it. Funny the owner of Auto-Rx had no record of them ever buying the product. I wonder where they got their bottle of the product?

I've gotten to the point where, when I see a rabid anti-Auto-Rx poster only one word comes to mind. TROLL.

BTW Happy Auto-Rx user since 2003. 97 Volvo 960, smoothed out the idle, 1.5 mpg improvement, dropped one plus quart oil use to almost zero with 6K OCI.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you so please don't take this the wrong way. The way A-Rx is priced it is a better deal to buy in volume, which many of us did. IIRC I bought 8 bottles 4 once and then 4 a second time. I gave one to my son and one to my brother. If they posted their remarks here, and there is no record of their purchase does that make them Trolls?

People use handles here, and Frank would have no way knowing who half these people are. Just bringing up a point. I do agree however that people talk about things they know nothing about, but are entitled to their opinions. Especially where a product is making a claim that defies logic, science, and physics. BTW A-Rx does none of that!

I agree that the compression test is good, however it is only about 25% of the story when it comes to dirty engine internals, and if you aren't careful there are many variables in the compression test as there are in monitoring oil pressure.

The before/after compression test is not the be-all/end-all. It tells you about the overall functioning of the top end and rings, if done properly. That's all.

You have to take everything into account, including oil condition (perhaps UOA, also oil filter condition--if you are in the habit of monitoring that), cylinder compression, noise (intake, exhaust, startup, etc), idle, butt dyno, oil and coolant temps, oil pressure (including behaviour as RPM's change), and MPG's.

If a few of these things improve at the same time, AOTBE (All-Other-Things-Being-Equal or at least as close as you can get), you can conclude that the ARX is having some effect in cleaning and improving lubrication.

K

e: LCD vs ARX for maintenance. [Re: stang5]
ALS Online content

Loc: Pittsburgh
You could use either. My Volvo 97 960 (88K) gets 7K miles a year per put on her. 95+ percent of that mileage is interstate highway. I have LC20 in the crank case.
In my 87 745 Turbo (359K miles, 77K on engine) that gets around 12K miles a year mostly short trips I have Auto-Rx in the crankcase.
Both cars are filled with M1 10W30.

The 960 had an Auto-Rx cleaning before I started using the LC20.

e: LC20 vs. Auto-Rx [Re: mckennaiii]
ALS Online content

Loc: Pittsburgh
I'll give my two cents on this one. I use both products and like them both. My daily driver a 1987 Volvo Turbo wagon gets M1 with a maintenance dose of Auto-Rx. This car mostly sees less than 3 mile drives between home and work and other short trips. The garage queen and long distance highway car a Volvo 960 with a 2.9L aluminum I6 is filled with M1 and 1.5 ozs of LC20 per quart. This car is 95% highway driven. It sits for 3 or 4 months and when it gets out it is driven a high speed for extended distances and time.

ALS, if arx is such a good product then why are you using LC20 as a Maintenance Dose instead of arx.

I bought gallon of LC20 about three years ago and it is now probably 2/3rd gone. My old 87 740 Volvo wagon DD was the one I ran the maintenance dose of Auto-Rx in. My normal daily trips involved short trips of three miles or less, thus the Auto-Rx. When the LC20 runs out I will be switching the 960 over to the Auto-Rx.

The reason I run the LC20 in the 960 is due to it getting an oil change once a year and it is used all highway. The M1 oil is run pretty much in optimum conditions. For example I make trips to Florida 20 hours straight, with only stops for breaks, fuel, and food. The engine gets turned off for less than sixty minutes for the whole trip.

My new 2010 Prius had an 3 oz Auto-Rx maintenance dose added the day I brought her home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ALS

I've gotten to the point where, when I see a rabid anti-Auto-Rx poster only one word comes to mind. TROLL.

This could be said about the MMO bashers out there too.

Originally Posted By: rastoma
Originally Posted By: ALS

Yes that could be said too. I mentioned in another thread that many people who bought multiple bottles of A-Rx sold some of their stash or gave some to friends and family members as in my case. If they post their comments and are not in the A-Rx data base it is assumed they are Trolls. I think not!

Originally Posted By: rastoma

It's across the board on various products that this is happening.

I ran a can of Seafoam through my car and I saw zero benefits.
Should I be complaining and criticizing the product because I spent $6-$7 on something that didn't work for me? No. There are a lot people that have seen great results and are very happy using it. I don't go around bashing them for using it or tell people the product is an over priced snake oil just because it didn't work for me.

As far as MMO goes I have never used it so I have no opinion either way on the product.

I guess after five or more years of Auto-Rx bashing I'm just fed up with the same people who continue to whine over $20. What's the ratio 40-50 or more happy to 1 unhappy user on the board?

Last edited:
When I went back through the oil additive section I counted about 500 people who have used arx, from what I gathered there may only be about 10 to 20 people who are still using the product.

So I would have to say that over 90% of the people who have tried arx are no longer using the product for various reasons.

So in reality if 51 people tried arx and 50 were happy then we would not be talking about other oil additives like:

1) MMO
2) Rislone
3) Seafoam

If arx really had a 99% success rate then how come we here from very few people with results that are positive. I have looked at other sites on the net and this is the only place where arx is discussed or mentioned. When I went back through the oil additive section I saw more negative posts about arx than positive posts.

I forgot to mention that even though I'm not an avid ARX user in my crankcase, it's been in my auto-tranny for the last year in my Volvo. I liked the effect it had on shifting.

c3po, where did you get those numbers, 500 people using arx and now only 10 to 20. I'm impressed with all the work you did to figure this out. You must have one heck of a phone bill or a lot of e-mail traffic. You must be a very busy guy. If you don't like a product you should not sugar-coat your claims. Just come out and say what's on your mind.

I'm new here and need your help Can you explain the category that would include MMO, Rislone, Seafoam and ARX? What do they do, or claim to do in their instructions that would associate them in a common group. Is it because they work on the same principals and use similar instructions?

Originally Posted By: Paleomonster
c3po, where did you get those numbers, 500 people using arx and now only 10 to 20. I'm impressed with all the work you did to figure this out. You must have one heck of a phone bill or a lot of e-mail traffic. You must be a very busy guy. If you don't like a product you should not sugar-coat your claims. Just come out and say what's on your mind.

I'm new here and need your help Can you explain the category that would include MMO, Rislone, Seafoam and ARX? What do they do, or claim to do in their instructions that would associate them in a common group. Is it because they work on the same principals and use similar instructions?

Basically I got all of the information by going back through the oil additive section. There could be many reasons why all of these members who bought arx are not posting. I think arx is still a good product in the:

1) Powersteering
2) Differential
3) Transmission

I just feel from my observations that there are better products out there to clean an engine up and many new threads in this section prove that, if everyone was getting spectacular results with arx then everyone would be talking about there positive experiences with your product.

If arx is a product that is supposed to be an engine cleaner or metal cleaner I do not see the problem mentioning it with other oil additives that are discussed here.

When I went back through the oil additive section I came up with between 10 to 20 members who are either still using arx or are posting favorably about the product. It seemed like arx was doing well or ok between 2002 and mid 2006, starting in 2007 it seemed like there were less people posting about using arx, and the number of new arx users seemed to be less in 2008 and 2009.

You can learn alot about the oil additive section here by going through the old threads on this board, you do not have to take my word, everyone can do there own homework.

Alot of the old posts that I found were Cut and Pasted in the ARX & Aluminum Engine Thread, I did not want to bring back old threads.

Originally Posted By: Paleomonster

Maybe I can help. All those products could fall into the category of cleaning engines. I'm pretty sure only A-Rx requires a clean and rinse phase, and gets better results with dino oil or Group III synthetics, where the others, MMO and Risoline can be added to any oil. I'm pretty sure seafoam is more of a fast flush cleaner, but I haven't used it as such.

Just curious, why the hostility? You're a new member here :)

I know hundreds of RX users through Rons business who are happy RX users (a lot don't know it's RX but that's a different story). They don't post anywhere let alone here, they are running a business and their vehicle results do the talking.. The 'bottom line' is all they care about.

Well, I have been using ARX for at least three - four years, maintenance doses, and I don't really post in this section. Whats the point. I'm one of the silent majority, not the 10-20 people still using it.

I can say that when I used to post favorably about arx I very rarely had any arx user's come to my defense, so I would call ARX users the SILENT MINORITY.

c3po, is it your position that happy users would seek out and spend time on BITOG. There are those that might just use the product and go on with their life. I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is with you and arx.

Your 500 user post paints you as a person with an axe to grind and that makes any other comment you make a bit suspect. What was the problem that you had with arx? Post it here so we can understand what happened. No product is perfect or the exact solution for every problem. Maybe there are bitog members that can help you solve your problem. Most problems can be solved if getting to a solution is the goal. If not, then keep grinding.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much,"
Hamlet Act 3, scene 2

Re: Saturn Fan's Berryman's B-12 Post [Re: kingrob]
Frank Offline

Loc: Jacksonville Beach Fl
Quote this accurately Auto-Rx cleans metal it does it safely and it does it better than any other product on the market. Auto-Rx takes time to work however you don't have the consequences that comes with solvent based products.

I have concerns when I see posts like this with no testing or proof.

My 500 user post paints me as someone who went back into the oil additive section to learn about arx and other oil additives.

My position on arx or any other oil additive is to show what it can or cannot do by reading members old posts.

If no oil additive is perfect or the exact solution for every problem, and that is what I gather in your statement then I think you can agree that if arx does not work for some members then there is no problem using stronger oil additives to clean there engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back