Replace PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't recall seeing anything on this... How often should Power Steering fluid be changed? My car has 129k miles and I sincerely doubt the PS has ever been changed. I don't think there was anything in the manual about it, so I would guess it would be Dex III?

Every OC,10,000 miles, I draw as much PS fluid out of my PS tank as I can then refil with M1 ATF. That has worked well for me.

Last edited:
You can use Turkey Baster of an fluid evacuation pump to suck it out. On my Honda I did the "suck and fills" used almost a liter of fluid. Probably got most of it renewed.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
How exactly do you get fluid out of the PS Resovoir?

Turkey baster.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Turkey baster.

That's messy. $20 12v oil extractor works awesome. Suck it down, add some (while the car is running of course) suck it down, and some, etc. Flush it out.

A turkey baster flush is great. Fast and no mess. It sure beats taking off lines and then hoping that they'll seal again!
What you want to do it get a qt of ATF. Then suck out the reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid. Start the car for a short time to mix things with the fluid in the rest of the system. Repeat this until you have the whole new bottle of sauce in there.

I like to flush mine every 15k or so. Both of my vehicles call for Dexron being toyotas so I use Redline D4. Works very well. Im a bit anal changing it at 15K but I like the piece of mind that comes with it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: tig1

Turkey baster.

That's messy. $20 12v oil extractor works awesome. Suck it down, add some (while the car is running of course) suck it down, and some, etc. Flush it out.

I can exchange all my PSF with a turkey baster without making a mess.

i use the suction hand pump from a shampoo bottle. works great.

My method is quite messy, so I flush mine every 25,000 miles and spend a good couple of hours detailing the engine bay afterwards.

I disconnect one of the power steering lines, and get somebody to turn the wheel back and forth, until there's no fluid in the system and the wheel is dead hard to turn.

Then kill the ignition, reattach the line, and fill it up to the line. Start the engine, turn the wheel back and forth until the whining goes away, and get the air out of the system. Top off and call it a day. I use 2 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V this way.
55.gif

The cheapest way is to get a used and cleaned shampoo bottle pump.....

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
What I do is flush the fluid and install synthetic and a magnifine filter.
This is on a car that I will put a fair amount of miles on. Or that I really care about.

The M1 ATF method has got me well over 300,000Km out of three Ford PS pumps. They don't make the traditional Ford PS whine. To me that means that this method works.

I've never had a failed PS pump in all the vehicles I've owned.

I just changed it on my car yesterday. I pulled the suction line off the pump and drained it that way. Then would fill it up and run it and do it again. Ran 3 quarts through it.
Used Schaeffers #204SAT. MUCH quieter this morning coming out of the garage at 35F. (I have to make a sharp ~100* turn in order to avoid driving on the neighbors property too much. The garage is positioned stupid.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back