Opinions on Bar's Engine Oil Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
700 miles on the oil, 650 on the No Leak and my oil level has dropped less than 1/4" on the dip stick, which is significantly less than it normally would. The level has been dropping at a much slower pace for the last 1/16" or so, so I'm inclined to believe that the No Leak actually did something. The next 1,000 miles will tell the true story of whether it has been effective.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
700 miles on the oil, 650 on the No Leak and my oil level has dropped less than 1/4" on the dip stick, which is significantly less than it normally would. The level has been dropping at a much slower pace for the last 1/16" or so, so I'm inclined to believe that the No Leak actually did something. The next 1,000 miles will tell the true story of whether it has been effective.

It seems to have stopped the very slight rear main seal seep that I had too after a few days of driving.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

It seems to have stopped the very slight rear main seal seep that I had too after a few days of driving.

Good news. I think going forward I would switch over to a HM oil now, and probably keep that leak at bay. JMO

NOTHING I have done has made a significant impact on my oil consumption. MMO, Auto RX, High Mileage oils, I was still using oil pretty darned fast. If I can make it 2,500 miles without adding a quart, I'll be impressed.

NOTHING I have done has made a significant impact on my oil consumption. MMO, Auto RX, High Mileage oils, I was still using oil pretty darned fast. If I can make it 2,500 miles without adding a quart, I'll be impressed.

Sounds like a mechanical issue, and not dirt causing the problem. Funny thing if it was a new car using a qt of oil in lets say 1500 miles they'd consider it normal, I think they consider using a qt in less than 1000 miles a problem.

Have you looked at the stem seals, or done a compression test?

I use about 1 qt of oil in about 3200 miles give or take with my 3.0L Ford. 2 A-rX clean and rinse cycles might have helped a leak a little, now its back and oil use is the same as when I started. Changing to 5W20 took me from 3000 miles/qt to about 3200/qt. I can't complain since it has always seen severe duty and is pushing 180,000 miles.

I have been reading your posts and I had a thought, have you checked your whole PCV System, meaning the Breather and PCV Valve, as well as the PCV Baffle in your valve covers, I think you said it was leaking fresh oil.

On my small block chevy I had put in a Push In Chrome Breahter cap, I developed some fesh oil leaks, I checked my breather and it had some oil in it, so I put back on the old style breather with a pipe extension, now my breather does not get saturated with oil and there are no more leaks.

Your problem sounds like a PCV issue, JMO.

I have a PCV catch can on it that I normally have to drain about 2oz out every 600 miles or so. It's got a 5 micron filter and a reservoir, so it should filter most of the oil vapors out. I don't think much of the oil is making its way through the PCV system.

I'm pretty sure it's not burning the oil, as I never see puffs of smoke (only once, when I was using Auto RX). The underside of the engine and the front of the transmission bellhousing are always covered with oil sludge looking stuff, but I have never seen an oil drip on the ground. I'm thinking it's a gasket or seal leak that is slow enough to allow the oil to evaporate before it has a chance to drip.

My sump is supposed to be 5 quarts, but when I add 5 quarts the dipstick reads about 1/2" high. It seems to consume most when it's the fullest, and once the level drops to around the full mark it slows fairly significantly. All of these things combined make me think it might be the rear main seal that's leaking the most. I never see any smoke under the hood, so I don't think the valve covers are leaking as it would drip onto the exhaust manifolds. It's probably a combination of the rear main seal and leaky head gaskets. I should wash the bottom of the engine off some day so I can see what gets wet with oil the fastest.

Meh. I think it was mostly because the oil was new. Consumption looks to be the same as it has always been now, at about 1 quart in 1,200 miles. It's gone down faster in the last 600 miles than it did in the first 600.

I'd say it loses maybe an ounce of oil every 4-5 days. and certainly not worth pulling the transmission and clutch just to replace the seal.

Yeah the environment is certainly not worth it :)

1 oz of oil makes almost 8000 gallons of water undrinkable.

if u have a leak, I'd recommend Pennzoil HM 1st over Valvoline...it helped mine the best because the 30% synthetic in the Max-life "could" find its way past seals better.

I've never tried this or their Main Seal Repair product. My recently acquired winter beater ('96 2.0L Jetta with about 100k miles on it) has a slight oil weep from the rear main seal. I'd say it loses maybe an ounce of oil every 4-5 days. Enough to be a nuisance because of the small spot it leaves on the driveway, but nothing serious...and certainly not worth pulling the transmission and clutch just to replace the seal. Was thinking of trying a "seal conditioner" and I saw both of these available at my local Wallymart. Current oil fill is Valvoline 15W-40 dino which I'll be changing to Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 on the next go 'round in about 2500 miles.

Or is the collective wisdom to just use a "high mileage" oil on the next change? Comments welcome.

http://www.barsproducts.com/E10L.htm
http://www.barsproducts.com/1050.htm

Best,

As a rule Bars makes some good products. In newer cars that haven't made beater status I would replace the bad seal, or gasket. I'm faced with a slow leak in my Aerostar and I am not pulling it apart. I tried A-Rx which I thought had stopped it, but it is still leaking. MMO didn't stop it either. I have some Pennzoil HM oil in my stash and might give that a try, if it doesn't work I will give the Bars a shot to see what happens. Mine hasn't reached the dripping state yet, and with the cold winter coming my bet is it will slow down some.

Giving Bars No Leak a try will not harm your engine. Also, I think Valvoline Maxlife is a better HM oil then Pennzoil. I Do use Pennzoil in a few cars but prefer the Maxlife HM product over Pennzoils HM oil.

This isn't the radiator additive, it's an engine additive. Hopefully it won't clog my heater-core.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
This isn't the radiator additive, it's an engine additive. Hopefully it won't clog my heater-core.
smile.gif

Oops!!!! Shouldn't post after being awake for nearly 36 hours....

Had a family member use it in a Honda Accord that was leaking oil like crazy. It worked. I can't remember how many miles it lasted until it needed it again.

From the second link of the OP:

Quote:
The polymer forms a film
between the seal and the crankshaft preventing
leaks.

Does anyone think this could increase compression, power, and mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back