2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L Mobil 1 5w20 7,000Km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overkill, thanks for posting this. I've been looking forward to it since you last mentioned you were waiting on results. I wonder sometimes if these noises people hear with the 20wt are from a hydraulic lifter not getting "pumped-up" enough. I've looked into comparing different engine components on the 5.4l from different years, and the lifter seems to be a different lifter prior to the 5w20 recommendation. I had lifter collapse once from neglecting a car a long time ago and the sound could be interpreted as knock by some people.

Okay, wait - the vehicle is run on 5W-30 so far, and it has run just fine.

You switch it to 5W-20, as vehicle is back-spec'd for 20-weight, and engine starts making noise.

So to 'fix' this, you suddenly need to go to a 40-weight, NOT back to the 30-weight that was working fine before.

If you want to use 40-weight in this vehicle, just use it - no need to say it needed to fix a noise that could be done by going baclk to what was used before.

:p :D :p :D

I'm just being antagonistic at this point, O-K!

He's on a 40 weight binge. TDT and 0w-40.

Hmmm..here I sit in Pennsytucky using 0w-10 where we may hit singe digits for a day or two.

He's in Canada and using 40 weights.

Makes perfect sense to me ..but to 24000+ members, I just don't think so.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

You mean he doesn't want to know what the noise was about?

Hey, Tig ..it was an M1 product ..so YOU know it had nothing to do with it.
grin2.gif

While it's obvious that viscosity masked whatever was causing the noise, I don't think that anyone can say that it was the cause. For that noise to occur, something had to be unright.

Anyone disagree??

Our assumption was that the oil broke down. Since this turned up late in the OCI.

It has never made noise before, and it doesn't make noise now. There was just this small window where the noise occurred, which prompted us to change the oil.

Your assumption is the oil broke down....well, lets see...

M1 5W-20 is 8.8cst @ 100C as per spec sheet. Your oil tested out at 9.36cst....it's actually into the 30-weight range. I'm assuming this is from left-over 30-weight that was in the truck before. so you're actuallt running closer to the weight you were before!

So how did your oil 'break down'....? Hmmm.....?

:p :p :p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Don't seem to have that option. Oh well......

Bottom right on your screen there should be 100% with a little magnifying glass next to it. Click on that.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691
Don't seem to have that option. Oh well......

Bottom right on your screen there should be 100% with a little magnifying glass next to it. Click on that.

Thanks. I actually ended up saving the image to my computer; and when I opened it from there, I could read it.

Was it kind of a loud tapping/knocking sound coming from the valvetrain? I had a sound like that come from the engine in my Crown Vic during the Auto RX rinse phase, but it went away. Maybe it's cleaning related?

Originally Posted By: buster
Yeah the 5w20 didn't break down. Noise is irrelevant IMO.

This noise was not irrelevant. This was quite pronounced. An embarrassing noise that was not there before.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

You mean he doesn't want to know what the noise was about?

Hey, Tig ..it was an M1 product ..so YOU know it had nothing to do with it.
grin2.gif

While it's obvious that viscosity masked whatever was causing the noise, I don't think that anyone can say that it was the cause. For that noise to occur, something had to be unright.

Anyone disagree??

Our assumption was that the oil broke down. Since this turned up late in the OCI.

It has never made noise before, and it doesn't make noise now. There was just this small window where the noise occurred, which prompted us to change the oil.

Your assumption is the oil broke down....well, lets see...

M1 5W-20 is 8.8cst @ 100C as per spec sheet. Your oil tested out at 9.36cst....it's actually into the 30-weight range. I'm assuming this is from left-over 30-weight that was in the truck before. so you're actuallt running closer to the weight you were before!

So how did your oil 'break down'....? Hmmm.....?

:p :p :p

Just because the oil might have actually thickened (remember, some do) doesn't mean the oil was still able to adequately protect. I would REALLY have liked to have the TBN. I had REQUESTED the TBN. But unfortunately, I did not RECEIVE the TBN.

That would have been the real teller.

Okay, wait - the vehicle is run on 5W-30 so far, and it has run just fine.

You switch it to 5W-20, as vehicle is back-spec'd for 20-weight, and engine starts making noise.

So to 'fix' this, you suddenly need to go to a 40-weight, NOT back to the 30-weight that was working fine before.

If you want to use 40-weight in this vehicle, just use it - no need to say it needed to fix a noise that could be done by going baclk to what was used before.

:p :D :p :D

I'm just being antagonistic at this point, O-K!

Remember, M1 0w40 is a LIGHT 40-weight. It is nothing like the Delvac 1 I am running, which is a HEAVY 40 weight. My last run of TDT/D1 was 15.4cst!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Overkill prefers thick over thin. The same with his steak sauce, pancake syrup, women, etc...

Canadian Maple syrup is actually pretty thin
wink.gif

My wife is 4ft 11 and not much over 100lbs. She has a good sized pair of knockers on her though.
grin2.gif

You pegged me on the steak sauce, heheh!

For the record, O-K, I don't think M1 0W-40 was a bad choice - it is an excellent oil.

But, that said, the 5W-20 didn't do any harm at all. The noise you heard was just some one-time acoustic anomoly, and not an indicator of damage being done. Don't throw away all you've learned here and start spouting that '5W-20 is bad for engines, it causes engines to knock'. You're too smart for that!

For the record, O-K, I don't think M1 0W-40 was a bad choice - it is an excellent oil.

But, that said, the 5W-20 didn't do any harm at all. The noise you heard was just some one-time acoustic anomoly, and not an indicator of damage being done. Don't throw away all you've learned here and start spouting that '5W-20 is bad for engines, it causes engines to knock'. You're too smart for that!

Ummmm, if you look back you will clearly read that I stated that MY Expedition was just fine on 5w20.

But then mine was spec'd for 5w20 since new, and I assume run on 5w20 since new.

THIS Expedition was spec'd for 5w30. And was run on 5w30 since new. The CHANGE is what appears to have caused the knocking noise. Going back up in viscosity got rid of the noise. (Or, hey it may have just been changing the oil got rid of the noise!).

I will add that the noise was recurring. It did not just happen on ONE start. The engine just began making this noise continuously. It was not low on oil. Changing the oil caused it to go away. I don't know if it was the viscosity, or just the fresh oil. But it eliminated the noise.

I have ZERO issue with 5w20. I AM however questioning the back-spec'ing....... If this is the result. Though I have no idea if my experience here is an anomaly or not.

Also, my dad's '03 Townie runs M1 5w20 without issue. Again, spec'd for that weight from the factory and has seen it since new.

How can you say you have zero issue with 5W-20 when you switched your 5W-20 spec'd truck to 5W-40, even though it ran fine on 5W-20?

LOL!

How can you say you have zero issue with 5W-20 when you switched your 5W-20 spec'd truck to 5W-40, even though it ran fine on 5W-20?

LOL!

Because I drive the LIVING [censored] out of my truck and know that a more robust oil is going to offer better protection.

My dad, on the other hand, does not drive his vehicles hard. Which is why we have continued on the 5w20 path with the Lincoln. The noise caused us to discontinue the 5w20 in his Expedition.

I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with this? I have made it VERY clear in past posts why I use the 5w40 in my own vehicles.

I have also run 0w20 in my Mustang engine the one winter it saw.... Because I was unable (and unwilling) to drive it hard in the winter, and so felt that it would provide adequate protection, as well as providing superior cold performance. The truck on the other hand, since it is 4WD IS driven hard in the winter.

You seem to find great joy in antagonizing me. I am going to ask you politely to stop. I don't find it humorous.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
A filter change may have made that noise disappear.

If it was start-up noise, I would agree. However, this was not the case. It was a constant noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back