Are Cars Made in Mexico Union Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove buy one of the local union halls yesterday on my way to a service call on Hollenberg Dr in Bridgeton, MO (for those who know the STL area) and the sign out in the parking lot says, something to the effect of parking only for Union Made cars.

Had I wanted to start something, I'd like to take a recent Toyota Corolla with a "1" VIN as those were made by the UAW in the NUMMI plant in Freemont, CA until GM and Toyota both pulled out of that plant.

My other thought was what about a Ford Fusion or a Dodge Ram made in Mexico? Are those "union made" vehicles and would they reject them from parking there if not?

More of just a thing that makes you go hmmm, than something I'd actually act upon. But I have lots of windshield office time to think about such things, so here are my thoughts shared with you in the form of a question.

Good point.Lines are getting blurry these days. I am a long time union member and found it to be a good way to go, but with the advent of foriegn autos(not from Canada) in this country US makers have had to change or go out of business. My presant Fusion is made in Mexico, outstanding car, and my old Merc GM was made in Canada also an outstanding car. I don't consider cars made in Mexico or Canada foriegn as long as they have to GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on them. For years now many of the parts of domestic cars were non union made, so the times they are ah changin.

Would that be the IAM hall off St. Charles Rock Road?

I kind of look at it another way - American jobs. That is what I care about first. I don't care for a car made in Canada or especially Mexico, as they take American Jobs.

Now, some use that as a basis for buying a Honda or Toyota, but then there is another issue - taxes.

Optimal is to buy a vehicle, union made or not, that was made in the USA. Better is to buy it from a company that is set up here and pays taxes here.

All of that conflicts, however, with the reality that a car is a major purchase, and if you are buying it as a "durable good", then you really need to get what you like and serves your needs best. That is where the US makers have fallen short, and their offshoring only makes it worse, IMO.

It was on Hollenberg. So it's a few streets off Rock Road. I turn at the QT and turn again onto Hollenberg and follow that around to the AT&T facility from time to time.

So that's a long, "I didn't catch the name of the Union Hall..."

Mexican assembly workers average just $3.50 an hour plus benefits, compared with about $27 hourly plus benefits at a GM or Ford plant in the U.S. But less skilled workers at parts makers such as Delphi Corp. (DPHHIQ.PK ) in Mexico earn as little as $1.50 per hour, and their benefits are skimpier because unions are weaker in the fragmented parts industry.

Mexican Tier supplier workers VS Detroit UAW = Cheaper by the dozen in Mexico. $1.50/hr....YIKES. THANKS NAFTA!!

Last edited:
I tend to look at it from a GDP/GNP standpoint.

Buy a Mexican-made Ford and you help the GNP here and Mexico's GDP. Buy a American-made Toyota and you help our GDP and Japan's GDP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I drove buy one of the local union halls yesterday on my way to a service call on Hollenberg Dr in Bridgeton, MO (for those who know the STL area) and the sign out in the parking lot says, something to the effect of parking only for Union Made cars.

I wonder if my 2008 JAW made Toyota 4 Runner would qualify?
13.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It was on Hollenberg. So it's a few streets off Rock Road. I turn at the QT and turn again onto Hollenberg and follow that around to the AT&T facility from time to time.

So that's a long, "I didn't catch the name of the Union Hall..."

I was trying to find it on Google Maps street view, but apparently there is no street view on Hollenberg.

It may have been the Mason's hall, or another place. There are 4 or more union halls out there, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: tig1
[snip]I don't consider cars made in Mexico or Canada foriegn as long as they have to GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on them. [snip]

Terminology may have gotten the best of you here, but they are most certainly foreign no matter how someone may want to justify it. USA hasn't dissolved yet. Now, if the argument had been as long as it has a GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on them I don't care as long as they are mfg in NA, then you could have an argument or at least the basis for one. However, you step on a land mine with those definitions.

I think those signs will be coming down soon...

There is a current lawsuit in MI which might put those signs away..

Originally Posted By: benjamming
[snip]I don't consider cars made in Mexico or Canada foriegn as long as they have to GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on them. [snip]

Terminology may have gotten the best of you here, but they are most certainly foreign no matter how someone may want to justify it. USA hasn't dissolved yet. Now, if the argument had been as long as it has a GM, Ford, or Chrysler logo on them I don't care as long as they are mfg in NA, then you could have an argument or at least the basis for one. However, you step on a land mine with those definitions.

In a perfect world I would like to see all Americans working to the hilt with good paying union jobs with no worries of the future, but things have changed and not for the better. As for the cooperation we have here in this country with our two nighbors, my old 77 Nova(junky car it was) had a tranny made in Canada so the lines between Canada and Mexico are blurring more all the time. After all they are our closet neighbors no matter if we like it or not.

In a perfect world I would like to see all Americans working to the hilt with good paying union jobs with no worries of the future, but things have changed and not for the better.

Would there really be a need for the union in a perfect world?
54.gif

Personally, I would buy a car made in Canada but not one made in Mexico. The reason is that Canadians buy a LOT of American cars and have a similar standard of living, tax structure, EPA, etc. Mexicans can't afford the cars they're making and IMO are being taken advantage of. I hate these "free trade" agreements. They only lower our standard of living and the standards of the rest of the civilized world.

I not only agree with what the union is doing with the parking situation (although walking a little more never hurt anyone), but would go a step further and lay off those who aren't buying domestic products first. We all have the responsibility of contributing to our country and economy. Money doesn't grow on trees. There are consequences to sending money overseas (look at the mess we're in now). We make our money here, so spend it here.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
In a perfect world I would like to see all Americans working to the hilt with good paying union jobs with no worries of the future, but things have changed and not for the better.

Would there really be a need for the union in a perfect world?
54.gif

If you are talking about the world to come, no.

Not blurry to me if you want a job making car's better look outside of Michigan towards the deep south and you better like working for Toyota,Honda,Mercedes,Hyundai etc.....American Companies do not invest in America only other countries invest in AMerica.A Toyota made in Texas is far more American made then a GM vehicle made in Detroit. Most of the assembly of the majore sub parts and such have already been done in Mexico and Canada then shipped by rail back to Michigan where either a robot and human with weightless suspended tools that are computer controlled finish the assembly of the major sub assemblies into a finished product.

Personely when GM sent my job to Canada and Pakistan and showed me and 1500 other non-union contract workers the door that ended my ties to GM for good. If you gave me one I might drive it but would probably sell it or trade it for a Ford or a Toyota. They will never see a dollar of my money. They even had the nerve to ask me to train my Canadian replacement!On top of that whent hey where hiring at a plant not far from me and they where hurting to find people because none of the applicants where passing their mandatory drug screen they would not give me or my wife applications because we did not know anyone personally at that plant. They only gave them to plant personel to give to their friends and realatives. Never mind a spotless 7 year track record as a contract worker or the fact that Ihad relatives that retired from GM or the fact that my wife and I could have passed the drug screen!

So when GM brings all those jobs that are currently done in Mexico or Canada or China back to the USA and gives me or one of my children a job I will consider them but not until then!

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I not only agree with what the union is doing with the parking situation (although walking a little more never hurt anyone), but would go a step further and lay off those who aren't buying domestic products first. We all have the responsibility of contributing to our country and economy. Money doesn't grow on trees. There are consequences to sending money overseas (look at the mess we're in now). We make our money here, so spend it here.

Wow, endorsing that people be forced to buy a certain product eliminating other competitors. Of course, this would have to be enforced by the government. Where have we heard something like that before? Hmm. Thankfully, I live in a right-to-work state.

If laws are passed to reduce competition, often the people will just stop buying altogether, and then say "If you want our business, get out there and compete for it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back