Alloy wheel cleaning (how to remove baked on dirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

I just bought a set of alloy wheels with winter tires. The wheels are in good condition (no curb scrapes, which I really hate), but there is a browny goldish residue that is typical of wheels that are never hand washed. I think it's either dirt or brake pad residue that gets baked into the wheels when they get hot. I'm sure you probably know what I'm talking about as I see this on wheels regularly.

Any tips on the best way to remove this stuff? I tried some wheel cleaner (I forget what brand) which didn't do a thing. Someone suggested a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Willing to try anything but I don't want to mess up the clearcoat finish.

Thanks.

I had some terrible brake dust on our last Civic, just wouldn't come off. Magic eraser doesn't sound too far to me, sure it will key the finish but at least it'll get it off and these are snow tires. I think I used a green scotch brite pad after a few months of continuing failure.

Tried Simple green or vinegar?

I also tried Castol Super Clean (this stuff just eats oil spills) and it didn't do squat either. I think simple green would be about the same. Guess I'll try elbow grease and magic eraser/scotch brite if I have to. Yeah, they're winters, but I'm obsessive compulsive about my wheels...sad, but true.

Originally Posted By: rcy
I also tried Castol Super Clean (this stuff just eats oil spills) and it didn't do squat either. I think simple green would be about the same. Guess I'll try elbow grease and magic eraser/scotch brite if I have to. Yeah, they're winters, but I'm obsessive compulsive about my wheels...sad, but true.

Weird, its not like you're a BITOG'er or anything
wink.gif
being obsessive? uncanny!

I am too. That's why I bought wheels for my SL2 that were in better shape :p

Yup, aside from the browny gold baked on stuff, my winter rims are in better shape the my summer rims. The summers are 18" though and the winters are 17". I bought the vehicle used and the previous owner left quite a bit of curb rash on the edges of the rims. Thinking of getting them refinished over the winter.

Oddly, the full size alloy spare tucked under the back of the vehicle was in the worse shape of all with the paint and clearcoat visibly peeling. It had not been included in the tire rotation and I guess four years of salt gravel and snow took it's toll. Really wish it was inside the vehicle rather than under.

I have cast aluminum cyclone wheels on an old Ford Van, that are getting really bad looking, baked on brake dust it looks like. I plan on winterizing my power washer, and was going to power wash the wheels. I figure I'll kill two birds with one stone. Get the oil in the power washer good and hot, before I fog the machine and change the oil, and get the wheels clean.

Scotch brite is an abrasive,isn't it? I ain't scratchin' my wheels clean.

I use a chemical called white wall wash. It comes in a spray bottle, most walmarts have it.

It is very strong stuff, for tire and wheel cleaning.

That and a sponge will take off all wheel dust I have ever seen.

If you use something abrasive, you are going to kill the clearcoat on the wheels.

Once you get them clean, go for a little bit of wax on those wheels to make it easier next time.

OK..the Mr. Clean magic eraser actually works quite well, but needs a lot of elbow grease. Seems to be OK on the clear coat. It falls apart easily though, but I have the older version...apparently the newer ones are a bit more robust.

Just to clarify, this is not fresh brake dust that can be removed with a simple cloth or sponge (or finger even), but a brownish, goldish, coppery film that is really baked onto the rims.

Never thought of that. I'm sure it probably would take the film off. What would it do to the clearcoat though? Any ideas? Chlorinated or non-chlorinated?

Wheels are like new. The Mr. Clean magic eraser did the trick. Started with just water, then used the eraser with Castrol Super Clean and the [censored] on the wheels just went away.

I like brake cleaner, but used engine cleaner mixed with some Barkeeper's Friend on some bad A4 wheels I did as a favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back