Sunruh-Your go-to oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunruh,

over the years you have tested many oils and have posted the uoa's. I know you said a while back you were really impressed with Exxon Superflo 20W50 ( I ran that in my streetbike and dirtbike) and Walmart Supertech 15W40.

Have you found any other oils that you use more than others now or still stick to these two? Have any others you will be testing out to see how they hold up? I remember back when you said you liked what you found with the Superflo, so just wondering if you have stuck with that more times than not.

Thanks for your time.

i had an "interesting" oil experience 2 races ago.

8-9am is a 1 hour practice before my wave races at 11:15am.

my buddy Perry and I were moving along at a good clip on lap 2 and the rear brakes all of sudden are not there. HUH? next corner nothing. hmmmm did i boil them? let them cool for the next 1/3rd mile and try them again. nope, nada, nothing. up ahead is a area near the pits/parking so i just head to the truck. as i'm plodding along i look down at my left boot for some reason. oil is pouring OUT of my skid plate. HOLY LACK OF LUBRICATION BATMAN!
20 more yards and i park it next to the truck. get off and look. yep, oil all over the right side rotor. hmmm i guess that explains the braking problem.
i wonder what went wrong?
remove my aluminum skid plate. as i do i see the oil tank drain plug bolt head. just the head. oh crud. but wait....and i lift it up. threads and all. it was sitting in a hole in the skid plate. all nice and neat waiting to be found. i guess my wifes interruption at the last oil change DID affect things. man, an entire 1.3L of exxon superflo 20w50 all gone. the motors empty as the dry sump pumps it to the tank.
so i walk over to one of the team's (TJ's ktm) and buy 2L of Repsol 15w50 at 7.99 each (not that bad) and he lets me use some contact cleaner for free. Perry does the brakes as i get the motor filled and cleaned. motor fires right up and i test out the brakes. they seem to work now.
basically i went at least 1 mile (20-30mph speed) with it pumping the oil onto the ground.
lined up and raced. went 63 minutes. not a hickup.
cleaned the bike up at home. the sight glass showed the oil to be amber and clear. what the heck. i left it in. did 2 laps of practice 2 weeks later and another race of 70 minutes. while it would not be the flush, run, flush, race, test that i normally do. i just might have it analyzed.

so, to answer the question.
i still have almost 2 cases of exxon superflo 20w50 and 1 of sae40 all are SL rated. i will never hesitate to use this stash.
i still have a bigger jug of supertech 15w40 that i have to measure into a smaller size to put in. wont hesitate to use it either.

nothing has caught my eye to want to test besides the new shell rotella 10w30. can't find it.

the tried and tested still remains the best bang for the buck.

if i was gonna run the baja 500 or 1000, i'd probably pay the big bucks for the best oil i have ever tested - maxima 4 ultra 15w50

Is it still required that drain plugs need to be safety wired when in competition? If not, might be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i had an "interesting" oil experience 2 races ago.

8-9am is a 1 hour practice before my wave races at 11:15am.

my buddy Perry and I were moving along at a good clip on lap 2 and the rear brakes all of sudden are not there. HUH? next corner nothing. hmmmm did i boil them? let them cool for the next 1/3rd mile and try them again. nope, nada, nothing. up ahead is a area near the pits/parking so i just head to the truck. as i'm plodding along i look down at my left boot for some reason. oil is pouring OUT of my skid plate. HOLY LACK OF LUBRICATION BATMAN!
20 more yards and i park it next to the truck. get off and look. yep, oil all over the right side rotor. hmmm i guess that explains the braking problem.
i wonder what went wrong?
remove my aluminum skid plate. as i do i see the oil tank drain plug bolt head. just the head. oh crud. but wait....and i lift it up. threads and all. it was sitting in a hole in the skid plate. all nice and neat waiting to be found. i guess my wifes interruption at the last oil change DID affect things. man, an entire 1.3L of exxon superflo 20w50 all gone. the motors empty as the dry sump pumps it to the tank.
so i walk over to one of the team's (TJ's ktm) and buy 2L of Repsol 15w50 at 7.99 each (not that bad) and he lets me use some contact cleaner for free. Perry does the brakes as i get the motor filled and cleaned. motor fires right up and i test out the brakes. they seem to work now.
basically i went at least 1 mile (20-30mph speed) with it pumping the oil onto the ground.
lined up and raced. went 63 minutes. not a hickup.
cleaned the bike up at home. the sight glass showed the oil to be amber and clear. what the heck. i left it in. did 2 laps of practice 2 weeks later and another race of 70 minutes. while it would not be the flush, run, flush, race, test that i normally do. i just might have it analyzed.

so, to answer the question.
i still have almost 2 cases of exxon superflo 20w50 and 1 of sae40 all are SL rated. i will never hesitate to use this stash.
i still have a bigger jug of supertech 15w40 that i have to measure into a smaller size to put in. wont hesitate to use it either.

nothing has caught my eye to want to test besides the new shell rotella 10w30. can't find it.

the tried and tested still remains the best bang for the buck.

if i was gonna run the baja 500 or 1000, i'd probably pay the big bucks for the best oil i have ever tested - maxima 4 ultra 15w50

I think maxima must have made a change or you mistyped.

The Extra 4 comes in a 15w50 and the Ultra 4 comes in a 5W50.

Based on our discussion a while back I have been run the Maxima stuff and it is outstanding.

db_cooper, there is NO offroad requirement for anything to be safety wired. heck i could even has an antifreeze mister on the back to fog your goggles.

rraider, um yes. extra 4. my typo that i know cant fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back