Yellow metal safe gear oil

Is there any easy way to tell which gear oil is yellow metal safe. I am looking for 80w90 to put in a tractor, and I can't tell which ones are safe and what isn't.
Most do not seem to say either way, does anyone have a list?
I can't afford expensive synthetic, just conventional from an "off the shelf" supplier. Possibly the Napa branded Ashland stuff? Tractor holds 5 gallons, so i have to watch the budget.

For the most part, any GL4 fluid (NOT GL5 or dual-rated GL4/GL5) will be safe for yellow metals as a rough guideline.

Some dual-rated GL4/GL5 fluids are safe for yellow metals, but they should specifically say so in the specs, otherwise, assume it is not safe.

Isn't MT-1 spec GL-5 safe for yellow metals? Id be conservative and choose a GL-4 only spec lube.

In my area, all I see are GL5 and GL5/GL4.
I wasn't sure about the MT-1, I thought the same thing but I want to be sure before I dump 5 gallons in this tractor.

Here's a discussion we had in '08:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1078234 Molakule has some good opinions here.

Good luck finding it. Pennzoil makes one (at least in '04), but you may need to have a local jobber/supplier order it.

This still seems to be a controversial subject. Valvoline claims their GL 5 is yellow metal safe, but others say that a manual tranny does better on the GL 4 additive package vs. GL 5.

If you find a PDS/TDS for the oil you are contemplating, look for the copper corrosion numbers.
If 1A or 1B, you'll be very safe, with 1A being absolutely no discolouration at all.

There are a number of GL5's today that are rated 1B.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

[snip]
... but others say that a manual tranny does better on the GL 4 additive package vs. GL 5.

I've often read this too, yet seen no evidence to support it.
Torco RTF, Motul Gear 300, Neo 75W-90HD, etc, are some of the best regarded 75w-90 manual trans fluids available and meet/exceed the GL5 spec.

Here are the options I have available
coastal 12217 80w90 "GL-5, GL-4, GL-3"
Napa 75-213 80w90
valvoline vv838 80w90
None say if they are yellow metal safe or not.
I'm getting very frustrated trying to find direct info if these are safe to use or not.
The tractor actually calls for sae 90 in summer or sae80 straight mineral oil in winter. But in upstate NY the temps range from 90s in the summer to 20-30 below in the winter, I want a 80w90 that I can run year round

I'm curious. Is this for a Ford N series tractor?

Please tell us what application this is for.

cronk - If the gear oil says GL4/GL5, it is buffered [the sulfur] to attenuate yellow metal corrosion.
But simply getting GL4 is not the total answer, it is just a possible step in the right direction. This is because GL5 has about 3 times the sulfur stuff than GL4 does. Gl4 is not void of it.
You need heat and moisture for this corrosion to occur, BTW.

Modern gear oils from Redline or Amsoil will be safe to use.

Another option I stumbles onto in another thread is
Shell Dentax 80w90 GL-1
This is closest to the factory recommendation of "straight mineral oil" , while still being the multi viscosity I am looking for.
Only trouble is, I would have to order online and pay shipping.

All modern GL-5 oils are safe for use with yellow metals. GL4 is rather out dated and is most often encountered as lube for manual transmissions. Few companies make a true GL4 they tend to be companies like Redline for instance. Most synthetic gear lubes and dino gear lubes will show dual rating of GL5/GL4. If it is going in a manual transmission I would use something like Redline's GL4 products or see if Schaffer's,CenPeco or Swepco make a GL4 fluid that will met your needs.

I do see that Schaffer's make a synthetic "167" 75w140 they advertise as yellow metal safe, it may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

All modern GL-5 is not safe for yellow metal. The sulfur ep additives are quite corrosive to yellow metals.
My hydraulic pump in my 9N has copper and brass parts that can be damaged by the incorrect lube. A hydro pump is over $600, so I want to be careful in choosing the correct lube.

Back