Using VW/MB/BMW specs to find the right oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a strange response from ExxonMobil. The product page pretty clearly says it meets or exceeds API SM/SL and CF requirements. I've been thinking of running this oil in my 2003 Jetta GLI, my 2008 Rabbit S, and my 1997 Toyota Tacoma!

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Kind of a strange response from ExxonMobil. The product page pretty clearly says it meets or exceeds API SM/SL and CF requirements.
...but not the product data sheet

Just followed up with a call to Mobil tech. They said I can use it in the New Beetle with no problem as it meets 502.00 specs

Any SM application is OK as long as there is not a ILSAC GF-3 or GF-4 rating needed as well.

I'm too old for this. LOL

It looks like the fudge words on the SM rating is "meets engine test requirements". To me that means the oil is a-ok for lubrication ...when the proper fuel is used...otherwise NO?

Originally Posted By: jpr
Originally Posted By: robertcope
Kind of a strange response from ExxonMobil. The product page pretty clearly says it meets or exceeds API SM/SL and CF requirements.
...but not the product data sheet

No, the product data sheet pretty clearly states it:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

=====
Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4
ACEA (Meets Engine Test Requirements) A5/B5
API (Meets Engine Test Requirements) SL / SM
API CF
JASO DL-1-08
=====

robert

Not that data sheet - this data sheet http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxenpvlmomobil_1_esp_formula_5w-30.pdf

The qualifying statement "meets engine test requirements" implies it did not meet some portion of the API lab test requirements.

The follow up question is of course, do you need care about the API approval status? If you've got an engine that calls for which the oil has specific builder's approval such as VW 504/507, MB 229.31/229.51, or BMW LL-04 oil, etc. the clear answer is "no." In other cases, the answer is probably not but caveat emptor in regards the discussion that began this thread, the

jpr

You are correct. Mobil told me that all VW cares about is their spec. Most oils have API and ILSAC rating to go along with a mfg spec. This oil does not.

Only thing I can figure on the SM rating is as you mentioned.... long OCI problems with our fuel.

I was going to buy some more ESP on Black Friday as it will be $3.98 along with most of the M1 oils including 0W-40. Oh well

Fortunately Pep Boys took back the ESP I had already bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back