Which Oil for my 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Glad to read and post on this great website,there is a ton of great information here.

I own a 2002 Ford F350 4x4 Powerstroke 7.3 with 82600 on the odometer, truck runs great.I use the 15w40 Delo oil with no issues. In the past, I have run Rotella 15w40 and Motorcraft 15w40 with no issues either. I have heard the Dello is a better choice for the money??? Without starting an issue on this subject,is there are any other Powerstroke owners with the 7.3 that could give an opinion.

Thanks
blue1ton

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Delo, Shell, and Mobil all make excellent 15W-40 oils that will more than protect your 7.3

I'm sure you will hear a lot about some of the boutique oils, but at the end of the day it's hard to beat the three above.

Welcome.

I agree with Johnny. Any of the "big three" oils will more than suffice.

If you're not brand loyal on oil (and there is no reason to be so, if you're not going to be AR about UOAs), then just select whichever of the them is on sale. Of recent note, Delvac 1300 was on sale for BOGOF, making it a whopping $6.49/gallon!

Performance wise, you'll not see any significant wear differences between them in daily operation. UOAs would likely "normalize" to a point where any of the three choices would make you proud to use them.

Change your oil/filter in accordance with the OEM rec's and you'll have many, many more happy miles with the last of the "good" PSDs.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Johnny, that's what I thought. I have used it before with no problems. I was thinking the Delo 15w40 may be a little better?

Delvac 1300 Super 15040 or Delo 15-40. Baldwin 7039 filter. No aftermarket tuning good for 6k OCI

Diesel Tech,

Do you have a preference regarding the Delvac or Delo? I understand the Baldwin is a great oil filter.

I really like Delvac myself, but both a are great Dino products. The baldwin is a great filter for the 7.3 and you won't find better fuel filters either. They are a true 2 micron .

I run Redline in my 7.3 but it's Far from stock. if I ran a dino oil it would be delvac, it's also readily available and checker/oreily's has a smokin sale on it right now again buy 1 get one free. most truck centers carry baldwin or you can check out baldwin filter express online. This site is great if you don't mind ordering a few to offset shipping. Prices are great though

I was in WM today, they have the 5 quart jugs of MC 15w40 for $11.50 each, which equals $2.50 per quart. That is a good deal. If you change your own oil and use a MC oil filter you can do it yourself for about $45.00

That is a good deal for MC oil and oil filter users.

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
I priced the MC syn diesel 5w40 at a dealer, very costly @ $30.00 per gallon jug.

Jesus, I paid less than that for my Delvac 1 5w40.

Everybody pays less then that for Amsoil or schaeffers 9000.

IMO the motorcraft filter for the 7.3 is not all that great. Though priced decent their are much better filters available.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Everybody pays less then that for Amsoil or schaeffers 9000.

IMO the motorcraft filter for the 7.3 is not all that great. Though priced decent their are much better filters available.

Yeah, but I'm talking CANADIAN dollars! LOL! Those south of the border always pay significantly less than we do. So the fact I paid less in CDN dollars for my D1 than they are charging for MC is significant. That is insane.

Yes Sir, between tax and shipping and cost alone. 30.00 for MC syn is plain Nutz. One can even purchase rotella syn for 20.00 a gallon out here. The only products i would pay 30.00 for is Amsoil, redline, and Maybe 9000 schaeffers. The Amsoil PCO blend and schaeffers 7000 I feel are the best bang for the buck

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Yes Sir, between tax and shipping and cost alone. 30.00 for MC syn is plain Nutz. One can even purchase rotella syn for 20.00 a gallon out here. The only products i would pay 30.00 for is Amsoil, redline, and Maybe 9000 schaeffers. The Amsoil PCO blend and schaeffers 7000 I feel are the best bang for the buck

D1 was $32.25 CDN AFTER TAXES for 4L when I bought a case.
DEO is $34.10 USD BEFORE TAXES for 1 gallon through the AMSOIL site.

We do the conversion JUST using the exchange rate:

Pull the tax, and factor in exchange (this excludes the huge discount you guys get on oil vs us):

D1: $26.64 vs DEO $34.10 both in USD. That is what I am paying up here in USD.

or:

D1: $32.25 vs DEO $41.20 both in CAD including taxes. Excludes shipping on the DEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back