What is a Hydrolocked Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

My daughter, who lives and works out of town, came home to visit this past weekend. Each time she come home to visit, I look over her car and check out things as she uses her car for work. Last time she visited, I changed the oil/filter and this time I gave it a good bath and vacuum cleaning.

Off topic but sounde like you are a great Dad for a daughter to have.

Another child in the world realizes the benefits of having a Bitoger for a Father...
thumbsup2.gif

I have always done the same for my kids (3 girls). They always say thanks Dad but it really never hit home until one of my daughters friends from her part time job came by to visit and told me of how one of the machines at work had broken down and they couldn't fix it and the repair guy couldn't fix it. My 18 year old daughter walks up and says: "Do you want me to call my Dad? He can fix anything".
13.gif

Last edited:
When my Olds 88 engine Hydrolocked the intake gasket blew out and filled a cylinder with water. The piston could not push the water out fast enough and the pressure threw a rod thru the motor!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
A bad fuel injector can also hydrolock an engine by filling the cylinder with gasoline.

Ford issued a warranty extension on early newer body style F150's with the super awesome 5.4L 3V for this very reason. I sold a ton of shortblocks under that one.

I agree also with the battery. When you were vacuuming/cleaning the car, and when the car was being loaded up, the courtesy lights were probably on.

That, and a weakened battery spell 'slow starting'. It's often the simplest answer which is the correct one.

If it were a wet coil, you'd have other issues. It it were a hydrolocked engine, you'd have much, much bigger issues!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
I agree also with the battery. When you were vacuuming/cleaning the car, and when the car was being loaded up, the courtesy lights were probably on.

That, and a weakened battery spell 'slow starting'. It's often the simplest answer which is the correct one.

If it were a wet coil, you'd have other issues. It it were a hydrolocked engine, you'd have much, much bigger issues!

After my daughter tried starting the engine several times, I had her STOP so that I could check the battery and it was still reading near 12V(ignition key off). While trying to start the engine, the meter dipped down to 9V and then came back up to about 11.7V after she stopped cranking and the battery showed no signs of weakening but, the engine sounded like there was no compression so I'am suspecting the engine was flooded. Also, I've kept an eye on the coolant since August when she took delivery and the coolant level has not changed nor is the any milky substance in the oil. No smoke apon startup(white or black).

Although fellas, Im really thinking of changing out the battery before winter hits as I mentioned earlier, she uses her car for work not just going back and forth to work but running around as well. I have also been going through the vehicle as she returns home for a weekend visit. Tires and brakes and quite new and the ATF is cherry red. Blead out the brakes and just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. Will do the cooling system in the spring as I just don't have the time right now and it's still fine.

Oh, one more thing on the battery. While vacuum cleaning and loading the car, her Mazda3 interior lights go out after a short time even with the doors being open though, Im not sure just how long, several minutes maybe!?

I want to sincerly *****Thank You All***** for your responces. And so quickely! This was great help and assurance. Spoke with my daughter last night and she says the car started fine throughout the day and seems normal. We'll keep an eye on things as the weeks go by.

Thanks Again,
Char Baby

Could have been a combination of the two- battery was run down a little low on charge, AND excess fuel from the quick start stop cycle washed some oil from the cylinder walls and made the motor harder to crank.

Another thing on hydrolocking- the cylinder doesn't have to be anywhere near full to cause damage. If the compression ratio is 10:1, anything near or beyond 1/10 of the cylinder volume will cause a lock. This could actually be even worse- if it was really full, the motor just wouldn't spin. If it was right on the edge, the motor might spin a couple of times and smash parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back