FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
90% city, 10% highway.

How many miles is your typical commute? How many months does it take you to rack up 5000 miles?

Quote:
As far as a UOA, I'll have to do some yellow pages digging to find a place that does that around here. If I don't find a place, well...every 5000 miles it is then.

Since you're in Canada, here's another possible option for you:

http://www.wearcheck.com/

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
90% city, 10% highway.

How many miles is your typical commute? How many months does it take you to rack up 5000 miles?

Quote:
As far as a UOA, I'll have to do some yellow pages digging to find a place that does that around here. If I don't find a place, well...every 5000 miles it is then.

Since you're in Canada, here's another possible option for you:

http://www.wearcheck.com/

I don't use my Jeep to commute to work. I take the bus(its easier and faster and cheaper).

I bought my Jeep on August 27 09. From August 27 to today, I have racked up ~1864 miles. I changed the oil over to GC 120 miles ago. So I'm sort of aiming for 5000 miles or 6 months with GC. Whichever comes first. However I am open to advice/suggestions
08.gif

Last edited:
So I'm sort of aiming for 5000 miles or 6 months with GC. Whichever comes first.

That sounds like a very easy interval then. You could probably go longer. I do annual oil changes with GC, but during 1 year I only put on about 5k miles on it.

So I'm sort of aiming for 5000 miles or 6 months with GC. Whichever comes first.

That sounds like a very easy interval then. You could probably go longer. I do annual oil changes with GC, but during 1 year I only put on about 5k miles on it.

That's what I figured.

I am wondering if I should stock up on GC. Think it's a good idea to keep bottles of it in my basement for a long period of time?

I am wondering if I should stock up on GC. Think it's a good idea to keep bottles of it in my basement for a long period of time?

I wouldn't keep it longer than a few years. After all, there will always be something newer and better that you will want to try.

I wouldn't keep it longer than a few years. After all, there will always be something newer and better that you will want to try.

True. What other oil(s) would you put in the same category as GC?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I wanna thank you all for turning me into a GC fan. I use it religiously now. Let's hope Castrol doesn't stop producing it.

Something in the back of my mind tells me this is gonna happen!

Hope this isnt true as we wouldnt want to see a run on this oil!

GC has been around for several years, with an obvious change of formulation at least once (i.e green to gold). I see no obvious reason for any impending demise.
21.gif

Last edited:
I noticed that the bottles of GC at Baxter auto have a six-sided cap, but the bottles of GC at AZ have a round cap. Both have the EF on the front and the Made in Germany on the back.

The stores are within 15 miles of each other, and the price was the same at each store, $6.99 qt.

Any difference in the oils? Just different bottlers/suppliers?

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 maybe? Redline and Amsoil have some good products, too.

I've seen M1 EP before, but never ESP. What is that? Mobil 1 Electronic Stability Program oil?
21.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I noticed that the bottles of GC at Baxter auto have a six-sided cap, but the bottles of GC at AZ have a round cap. Both have the EF on the front and the Made in Germany on the back.

Any difference in the oils? Just different bottlers/suppliers?

The "hex-key" caps are slightly older batches. The newest batches have the round caps. The oil inside is the same, as far as I know.

I've seen M1 EP before, but never ESP. What is that? Mobil 1 Electronic Stability Program oil?
21.gif
lol

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.aspx

Ah I see...Wow it has more certifications than GC. So...I'm guessing it's a Group IV oil like GC?

I'll have to take a look and see if that's available in Canada.

21.gif
lol

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.aspx

Ah I see...Wow it has more certifications than GC. So...I'm guessing it's a Group IV oil like GC?

I'll have to take a look and see if that's available in Canada.
M1 ESP is not available in Canada. But that doesn't stop me from going down to the States and picking some up. Is it really as good as GC?

Is it really as good as GC?

Hard to tell since it's a relatively newcomer to the US - I have not seen any UOAs on it yet. All we can go by is just the lengthy spec list that it meets.

Does GC have any cleansing agents? Does it clean at all? Just curious.

GC contains calcium and magnesium, both of which are detergents.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Does GC have any cleansing agents? Does it clean at all? Just curious.

GC contains calcium and magnesium, both of which are detergents.

Thanks for the info :)

FD777 stated in his post on 4/3/06 that he wouldn't recommend GC for any engine that asks for 5w20 (ie nothing below 30 weight) I have a 2006 Miata 2.0L engine that uses 5w20. Would I make a mistake trying GC? Thanks, DrJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back