Stihl won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

This saw is 10 years old.not been used much until latly.Always easy to start,never let me down.Tosay it wouldn't start.spark plug has fire.possible it's flooding.ran fine 2 days ago .I'm letting it sit to see if i flooded it somehow.Right when I need it the most it lets me down.Model 029.

If you think it flooded out. Remove the plug and ground it out, well out of the way. And cover the plug hole with your thumb or a helpers (a shop rag might help if there's a lot of fuel) and spin it over several times.

without building some compression the fuel will stay in the crankcase. you can spin a real flooded two stroke all day without the plug and it won't "clear" itself. but once you cover that plug hole it'll breath and clear. Throttle should be open and choke off.

Thanks,I've done some other online research and I hear the fuel line is a big problem.I will check it.It let me down when i needed it the most.

Originally Posted By: soldierman
If you think it flooded out. Remove the plug and ground it out, well out of the way. And cover the plug hole with your thumb or a helpers (a shop rag might help if there's a lot of fuel) and spin it over several times.

without building some compression the fuel will stay in the crankcase. you can spin a real flooded two stroke all day without the plug and it won't "clear" itself. but once you cover that plug hole it'll breath and clear. Throttle should be open and choke off.

Great tip!

I'll try that next time I flood my chainsaw.

Stihl MS250 that I recently gave to my brother was notoriously easy to flood. If it didn't hit on the first four pulls, I made sure the switch was in the correct (straight line) position, pushed off the choke and held the throttle wide open while I spun it. Usually, after about five or six pulls, it would hit. A couple of pulls later, it would slowly chug to life until the excess fuel was expelled and then it was off to the races. I picked up a couple of Solo saws (650 and 645)really cheap. In my opinion the 645 is equal to the MS250 and the 650 will cut rings around it.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Stihl MS250 that I recently gave to my brother was notoriously easy to flood. If it didn't hit on the first four pulls, I made sure the switch was in the correct (straight line) position, pushed off the choke and held the throttle wide open while I spun it. Usually, after about five or six pulls, it would hit. A couple of pulls later, it would slowly chug to life until the excess fuel was expelled and then it was off to the races. I picked up a couple of Solo saws (650 and 645)really cheap. In my opinion the 645 is equal to the MS250 and the 650 will cut rings around it.

I have the MS250 and I will agree that it is very easy to flood. The trick with this chainsaw is that the first "hit" is barely noticeable. If you thought it may have had 1/5th of a first hit......that WAS the first hit. Switch it to half choke the first time you think you might have sensed a slight hit, and it will start on the next pull.

If you miss that, it's flooded.

I have a ms250 as well and it is tricky. The dealer told me not to pull it more than twice on full choke no matter what. It still takes a bit to get it going cold and it aggravates me. I have just tons of trouble with a stihl blower starting and now it has lost fire completly on top of carb problems. Its not even a year old yet and no doubt its a lemon. But, that is another story. Out of the three stihls I own only one is worth a dang.

Try scraping the spark plug with a razor blade. On older small engines with many hours of usage even though the plugs look good I may need to scrape it after every 10 hours of usage. In my case it fires up after 1-3 pulls.

The easiest way to clean a spark plug it to take a piece of sand paper, fold it over so that there abrasives on both sides then slip it between the ground strap and the electrode. Slide it back and forth a few times and it's done. Blast any abrasive residue and filings of with a burst of WD-40 and it's good to go. Might want to check the gap while you're at it.

I'm with Jim5 & I learned the $60 hard way. I was using my several year old(3 or so) MS-360 Stihl last Summer & I missed that 1st 'hit'. I pulled a few+ extra at full choke. That did me in. I was flustered this newer saw wouldn't start so I took it in later that same day. They said it was well flooded & gave me a bill for the $60 or so. I've been a Stihl fan for a long time but this one caught me.

Add the correct amount of two cycle oil,and don't be cheap with it.
It wont hurt to run a rich mixture.
I worked at a hardware store at one time,thousands of customers would try to return equipment that wouldn't start.
A few extra ounces of oil and ...vhroom.

When a two stroke engine floods, the best bet is to hold the throttle wide open and start pulling. If you can cut the fuel to the engine, that won't hurt but it's not absolutely necessary. I use a small velcro strap to hold the throttle open if i come across a saw that's reluctant to start after flooding. Fortunately, my Jonsereds and Echo machines seldom, if ever have starting issues.

Don't know what it is about Stihl equipment and flooding/starting issues? They've been around long enough to get it right and their equipment is very respectable once it's running.

The spark plug on the Stihl got wet quickly from my experience. A wet plug is difficult to start.

I believe that is correct about the choke on the Stihl. It took my 3 hours to figure it out...

This what I read on a craiglist which I don't believe as this dude sounds like he is loaded. I posted some things on Aloha Power Equipment so will leave things as is: Stihl cease it's operation in August yet this poster post it in November when I posted about the same time. Get the drift whoever you are.
"I recently found out that Stihl has cut off Aloha Power as a dealer without even any warning." IF HE WAS REAL AS STIHL OWNER OF MANY YEARS HE WOULD HAVE KNEW OF IT MONTHS AGO IT'S EVIDENT HE FOUND THIS NEWS RECENTLY AND QUITE STRANGE POSTED IN NOVEMBER.

I own several Stihl products that I have purchased from Aloha Power Equipment over the years. I have been doing business with Aloha Power Equipment for nearly 20 years. They offer great friendly service, fair prices, and most of all their repair department knows their stuff.

I recently found out that Stihl has cut off Aloha Power as a dealer without even any warning. Aloha Power has been selling Stihl for 24 years. That means they will no longer sell Stihl products, no longer sell Stihl parts & accessories and no longer do Stihl repairs. The reason Stihl cut off Aloha Power is because Stihl was mad at Aloha Power for bringing in Kawasaki products.

Aloha Power sells Echo. Echo had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.
Aloha Power sells Honda. Honda had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.
Aloha Power sells Husqvarna. Husqvarna had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.
Aloha Power sells Little Wonder. Littler Wonder had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.
Aloha Power sells Mantis. Mantis had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.
Aloha Power sells Shindaiwa. Shindaiwa had no problem with them bringing in Kawasaki products.

Stihl doesn't like their dealers selling other brands. They want their dealers to sell ONLY Stihl products. They reward their dealers who sell only Stihl products by calling them "Elite Dealers". There is one other Stihl dealer on Oahu. They sell a fraction of what Aloha Power sells yet they are considered an Elite Dealer. They stock a fraction of what Aloha Power stocks yet they they are considered an Elite Dealer. The have less knowledge & experience than Aloha Power yet are considered an Elite Dealer. Aloha Power was not an Elite Dealer because they sell other brands.

I found about the situation with Stihl & Aloha Power when I recently brought my chain saw in to Aloha Power for repair. They informed me of the situation and explained that they could not repair my Stihl saw because they no longer have any Stihl parts. I told them that I refuse to go to the other guys and if they could just buy the parts that were needed from the other dealer at full retail price and mark them up, then do my repair. I don't mind paying extra. They said ok. Later I was told that they tried to buy my parts from the other dealer but the other dealer refused to sell them parts. The other dealer said they were told by Stihl no to sell Aloha Power any parts ... not even over the counter at full retail price! Is that even legal?

To add salt to the wound, I hear that Stihl has told the other dealer to open up another branch right near Aloha Power, hoping to catch all of Aloha Power's Stihl customers.

I don't know about you but this is not the kind of company that i want to do business with. I'm going to get rid of all my Stihl equipment and replace it with other brands that Aloha Power sells. I will continue to do business with Aloha Power Equipment. I hope the people of Hawaii will do the same. Stihl has no Aloha.

I with you on boycotting Stihl. It's marketing arrogance at it's worst.

Back in 2007, when the Canadian dollar was on par with the USD, many Canadian shoppers near the U.S. border were going into the US to buy Bombardier snow machines and ATVs. When the Canadian Bombardier dealerships started squawking
to the manufacturer because they were losing sales to the US dealerships, Bombardier issued a threat to the US guys instructing them to cease selling to Canadian customers or they'll lose their business with Bombardier.

Now, here's something to consider. Why would a $10000.00 Bombardier product sell for $4000.00 to $5000.00 less just a few short miles away in the US? It was a super gouge of the Canadian consumer and Bombardier didn't want to lose the golden egg that Canadians were paying into their coffers. Despite the fact that they're a Canadian company, ever since then, I've boycotted Bombardier products. In the years that have followed, I have purchased two new Suzuki powered Arctic Cat 4WD ATVs and a Yamaha outboard motor. Total value of over $20K. I will never buy anything from Bombardier ever again.

I have no opinion on Stihl as I have nothing to do with the post I found on the Craiglist.

It's quite evident I don't believe this poster knows what he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back