Supertech Synthetic Blend 75W90 GL5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used this in my Subaru's manual transmission (hypoid front differential & yellow metal synchros under the same roof) for the following reasons:

1. One of few of 75W90 GL5's without Limited Slip friction modifiers
2. Reputable maker: private labeled for Wal Mart by Warren Petroleum
3. $4.97/qt
4. Synthetic blend, although this probably means Grp III as the 'synthetic' portion

Although the label states recommended for Mack GO-J apps, the approval list on Mack Truck website does not include any of the know label names for this gear oil: MAG1 Synthetic Blend Gear Oil 75W90, Coastal Synthetic Blend Gear Oil 75W90, or Supertech Synthetic Blend Gear Oil 75W90. Mack GO-J is completely meaningless for my application, yes, but found it interesting Warren would make the 'recommended for' claim for such a stringent spec.

Advance Auto Parts sells the Coastal labeled version @ $9.89, so buying under the Supertech (Wal Mart) label represents a significant cost saving.

Very early in the game, but so far the shift quality is as good or better than the factory GL5 gear lube that was drained.

There was a VOA here somewhere that showed the additive package seriously lacking. Also, Wallyworld was fined for 'off grade' gear oils too. Hopefully the blender by now straightened out their act.

I'd definitely VOA a sample. If the VOA shows it as a GL5, then use it.

I'll second the Wally 75w90 synthetic blend. I've used it in several truck/SUV diffs and T-cases as well as garden tractor diffs. Gear oil ain't rocket science and the way your average BITOGer manages stuff, how could you go wrong?

Joel

Anything is better than leaving the FF in there for the interval indicated in the manual. Let us know how it goes!

That hypoid gearset in the tranny is atypical of transaxles.
It makes you compromise the shifting by using a less than optimal fluid [shiftwise].
But if you are happy with how it synchs, great!

The reason I changed out the rear diff and manual trans this early in the game was more for peace of mind due to fording some very high water (standing water no current) not long ago. Engine oil change too. All the fluids looked good when they came out, no sign of water intrusion. The rear diff has vent cap on top where water can possibly intrude if deep enough.

Defektes, it is not so much a matter of skimping as it is trying to find a reasonably priced syn or semi-syn GL5 that doesn't contain limited slip friction modifiers, which cause shift grinds and notchiness in the Subaru manual trans. My plan is to use the Supertech semi-syn and change it out every 30,000 instead of using one of the more expensive full syns and leaving it in 60,000 or more. My Forester does not tow anything, only weighs about 3200lbs, and so the duty falls under light service similar to a mid size passenger car service. I'm confident the Supertech can provide adequate protection for 30,000 miles of light duty service.

I am aware of Amsoil Severe Gear, Redline NS, Motul Gear 300, and RP Max Gear not containing LS friction modifiers but they cost 3x as much as the Supertech.

The conundrum of the synchros living with the hypoid front diff has some Subaru enthusiasts using cocktails of different gear oils mixed together to smooth out the notchy shifts that just seem to be intrinsic to the Subaru manual trans.

Here is Warren's description of the 75W90 semi syn they private label:

http://www.warrenunilube.com/gearoils.html

Note it says use for top-off only in LSD's, indicating lack of LS friction modifiers.

For "top-off only in LSDs" is a good sign for those looking for a gear oil for their manual transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

You have the wrong Warren.

Warren performance Products (WPP) makes the Walmart Supertech Syn/semi syn gear oils.
It's the same as their Mag-1 oils.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/75w90.pdf

Perhaps... but perhaps just the wrong marketing arm. Reading the product descriptions I would wager that MAG1 = Coastal = Supertech. Same juice in different bottles. Question is does Warren operate three separate blend processes for each label name or do they run one blend and bottle it under three labels. Only a VOA on a sample of each would help determine an answer, short of knowing anyone @ Warren who would let slip the down-low info.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Perhaps... but perhaps just the wrong marketing arm. Reading the product descriptions I would wager that MAG1 = Coastal = Supertech. Same juice in different bottles. Question is does Warren operate three separate blend processes for each label name or do they run one blend and bottle it under three labels. Only a VOA on a sample of each would help determine an answer, short of knowing anyone @ Warren who would let slip the down-low info.

You would lose the wager. Warren Performance Products and Warren Unilube are two separate companies.

WPP = MAG1, SuperTech

WU = Coastal

Have you tried Redline MT90? great stuff and made for your application. Sorry, I see you have the trans & diff together. Redline 75w90NS for certain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i thought on the warren site it gave you a choice which side you wanted to enter wpp or wu?

Link:
http://www.warrenoil.com/

If you look at the bottom of the Warren Unilube site, it says the parent company is Warren Oil.

Here is the MSDS sheets for the Walmart SuperTech 75W90 syn blend gear oil:
http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/344439.pdf

You know, I don't think the quality will be much different between each product. That's what really matters. Personally, I use the Coastal gear oils in my Jeep transmission because it doesn't seem to have as much sulfer (it's GL3, GL4, & GL5 rated) and shifts a million times better than Supertech(WPP) 80W90. I do, however, use the Supertech 80W90 gear oil in my axles.

My transmission takes about a gallon of oil, so I usually mix the Coastal 75W90 blend with 85W140 to make a nice 80W115. It help keeps the noise down in the 56 year old dump truck tranny when I'm crawling around the trails.

Coastal is a brand name owned by Warren Unilube of West Memphis, Arkansas, a branch of Warren Oil company of Dunn, North Carolina.

Warren Distribution of Omaha, Nebraska, owner of Warren Performance Packaging of Council Bluffs, Iowa, is the maker of Mag 1, Accel, and SuperTech (Wal*Mart) oils.

Two different Warrens with four names....You lose your wager.

Thanks Ken but that's been pointed out already.
beer3.gif

For those familiar with Subaru gear boxes and the sort of conundrum they present requiring GL5 for the hypoid gear but containing yellow metal synchros, the label description on the Supertech 75W90 Synthetic Blend bottle is appealing. Note the statement about protecting Copper and Bronze as well as the statement hinting that it does not contain Limited Slip friction modifiers ("for top-off...").

For $4.97/qt it was certainly worth trying. I'll see how it works out.
19.gif

11-16-09004.jpg

Make sure to keep us posted. I would be interested to hear how the oil performs in the cold and after several thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back