Trufilter stainless mesh oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any opinions on these for a Toyota 4.7 V8?

Link: http://www.trufilter.com/

I have searched and do not see much talk about stainless mesh oil filters. Thanks for any ideas!

(Just found a bunch of threads under a different search term - definitely still interested in people's latest opinions)

Last edited:
First is the cost and how many "regular" filters can you get before you will ever realize a pay back.
Second what do you think the advantage would be with the mesh filter ? do they filter any better?
Third ,you have to clean them which involves solvent waste etc to get rid of so there goes and green advantage. just my personal thoughs. In fact I cleaned the foam filter that came with the lawn blower I own and replacing the filter would have been better.

The only info it gives is .35 at 95%. It also says paper filters are 40 micron which we all know is not correct.....especially if the P1 beta's are correct. It's a nice filter and if they could prove benificial to daily drivers i'd look further into it.

Looking at their website, they quote 2 different micron specs for the screen mesh - 45 microns and .45 microns. Obviously, it's NOT .45 microns screen mesh.

No excuse for sloppy technical information ... if I can spot it in 5 seconds, so will many others. They need someone to read their own technical info for accuracy.

It's a nice looking filter however ... seems to be well built. I'd like to know how the bypass valve works, and what the bypass setting is.

Well I looked at the aplication for the modular engines. At Jegs it states 35 micron @ 95%....not too good. Also the applocation cost 189.00 + Shipping.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Well I looked at the application for the modular engines. At Jegs it states 35 micron @ 95%....not too good. Also the applocation cost 189.00 + Shipping.

The filtering efficiency isn't great, but it's not horrible either. IMO, these mesh type filters would be good to use on racing engines where you can insure good flow rate and can open it up frequently to inspect/clean it.

All very good responses and appreciated.

I'd be most interested in eliminating disposable filters but I think I see that the Toyota OEMs are better for me.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
First is the cost and how many "regular" filters can you get before you will ever realize a pay back.
Second what do you think the advantage would be with the mesh filter ? do they filter any better?
Third ,you have to clean them which involves solvent waste etc to get rid of so there goes and green advantage. just my personal thoughs. In fact I cleaned the foam filter that came with the lawn blower I own and replacing the filter would have been better.

+1 The odds of you owning the car long enough to see payback is unlikely and the odds are even steeper of it fitting whatever you buy to replace it.

The cost is not that interesting to me. At $100-180 it's like buying a toy you like. If it eliminates the need for disposable oil filters and work as well, or better - then it would work for me.

Okay ..then buy it and enjoy it. I see nothing wrong with using it. It's a little courser than I'd like. If they were $30-$40 (most of what you see is ROI from the choke point vending) I'd have one on there in conjunction with a bypass filter. If it was extended drains it would be something like Amsoil's. If it was short stuff, it would be a tp filter. I'd never touch the thing then.

I can see why the cost is up there pretty good. Lots of aluminum machining of solid billet stock, and making that element can't be cheap.

Originally Posted By: Carl6773666
The cost is not that interesting to me. At $100-180 it's like buying a toy you like. If it eliminates the need for disposable oil filters and work as well, or better - then it would work for me.
What happens to the dirty solvent/cleaner etc when the filter is cleaned? At least the disposible filter can be recycled the waste solvent/cleaner is disposed in the drain or on the ground?

He could use a volatile, like brake clean. If he's got compressed air, that would probably work too. It appears the hassle of disposal is the biggest advantage in perceived value here.

Otherwise, I agree. There's hidden costs to it beyond the marginal avoided costs of disposable filters.

I bet a sonic cleaner with solvent would work well to clean the screen mess. Of course, sonic cleaners aren't cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back