Die Grinder-- Angle or Straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a die grinder to make my brake jobs and gasket removal jobs a bit easier. I think a die grinder with a scotchbrite disc would make it much easier to clean the hub flange when I change brake rotors.

Since I don't have an air compressor, I am looking at the cordless models. Apparently there are two types of die grinders-- angle and straight. Which one should I get?

Does anyone have any experience with the IR stuff?

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com//IS/Product.aspx-item-30852

Thanks!

I haven't used any IR electrics, but I have experience with their pneumatic equipment and the quality is nice. I use a Dewalt angle grinder. IMO, an angle tool would be easier to use to clean hubs, but instead of the scotch disc, I use a wire disc to get around the lugs. It works pis-sah.

Traditional die grinders are never angled, always straight and turn much faster than an angle grinder. I think you want an angle grinder for this app.

Why not get a corded electric model? I have a Milwaukee that works well for applications like you're describing.

I always use a straight one with my 26gal compressor. I've also used a dremel tool. A dremel + wire brush cup to clean around the hub works wonders since it is able to sneak in between the lugs better.

Angle style works for brake jobs but make a lot of dust,they are good for cleaning hub surfaces and so on,a small needle scaler also works well without much dust.
I would never use one of these with pads to clean old gasket material on an engine.

There are numerous TSB and articles about the effects of the particles found in these disk on bearings,cylinder walls,camshafts,etc.
The particles are so hard and small they can find their way past the oil filter right into the oil galley and wipe perfectly good bearings out in a few thousand miles.

Flushing doesn't help much as the dust is very fine and its everywhere.As the engine runs it sloshes the particles down that didn't get washed away when new oil was introduced.

IMO gaskets are best removed by hand tools and elbow grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back