AC Delco Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be an exclusive AC Delco filter only user. Than I had 2 fail on me. Never again. Some may recall my posts about it - I basically had no oil pressure at start up. Would happen at every start up and you had to rev the engine to get the gauge up. Change oil filter -problem gone. Put old one back on - problem back. Both times this happened, the filters had less than 3k miles on them. NEVER happened with any other filter used after that. Bosch, ST and STP filters now used with no problems. No more AC's for me. The filter in question was a PF46 for my GMC Denali pickup with the 6.0L engine. It happened twice - not once - twice.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I used to be an exclusive AC Delco filter only user. Than I had 2 fail on me. Never again. Some may recall my posts about it - I basically had no oil pressure at start up. Would happen at every start up and you had to rev the engine to get the gauge up. Change oil filter -problem gone. Put old one back on - problem back.

Did you ever cut them open to see what the cause of the failure was?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I used to be an exclusive AC Delco filter only user. Than I had 2 fail on me. Never again. Some may recall my posts about it - I basically had no oil pressure at start up. Would happen at every start up and you had to rev the engine to get the gauge up. Change oil filter -problem gone. Put old one back on - problem back.

Did you ever cut them open to see what the cause of the failure was?

or what manufactuer made that batch

No guys, I didn't do either. I should have cut them open or tried to identify if they were Champ, Delphi or whatever made filters. Sorry. I will search that for that thread because if I recall correctly many people felt the ADBV was the problem.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Somewhere here recently an Email was posted from Champion Labs indicating that the AC used media as spec'd but was the same in every other way to the Champ, ST, STP.

Yes. I remember that.
Someone here contacted them and they said the ecores now all use the same recently improved media for 96% single pass efficiency at 20 microns. That would include the Delcos.

sooo ac delco=super tech then??

They may still have more media. As for efficiency, at what flow rate and how does flow hold up as the filter loads?

I used to be an exclusive AC Delco filter only user. Than I had 2 fail on me. Never again. Some may recall my posts about it - I basically had no oil pressure at start up. Would happen at every start up and you had to rev the engine to get the gauge up. Change oil filter -problem gone. Put old one back on - problem back. Both times this happened, the filters had less than 3k miles on them. NEVER happened with any other filter used after that. Bosch, ST and STP filters now used with no problems. No more AC's for me. The filter in question was a PF46 for my GMC Denali pickup with the 6.0L engine. It happened twice - not once - twice.

A quick question. If you ate some food, that made you nasty sick... would you eat some more of it a second time... just to be sure of it?

21.gif

Any filter can have a defect. It would be worse if every time something went wrong you said NEVER AGAIN!! and just moved on without determining the cause/origin. You could eventually have no options if you fell into a very narrow slice of odds.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Any filter can have a defect. It would be worse if every time something went wrong you said NEVER AGAIN!! and just moved on without determining the cause/origin. You could eventually have no options if you fell into a very narrow slice of odds.

When I have noise with filter "A", and replace it with filter "B", and the noise disappears, at that point I stop. Problem solved.

I don't then reinstall filter "A", just to confirm the issue a second time.... which is why I don't eat food that made me sick for a second time.... just to confirm that it made me sick.

sooo ac delco=super tech then??

That's my current understanding, yes.

Originally Posted By: defektes
If it is, Supertech by no means is a bad filter.

Yeah it's OK. I'd go ahead and use either but the ST costs less.

Over the years I have been here, I don't think there is a single brand of filter somebody hasn't reported a problem sometime. Well not the Prontos I bought the last time. Nobody else is using them.

I think the board has under reacted to River Rats reports of the Wix filters he cut open leaking. Just when I was thinking about paying the extra for one to get away from dome end bypasses.

nowadays the ac delcos are identical to the super techs. they're both e-cores. both great filters. i'd buy a super tech, i cant see a point in spending more then a dollar extra just for blue paint

I just purchased a PF46 and it is not an e-core.

Ecore/non ecore seems to be a random thing. You would think all the old stock would be long gone. I went through a bunch of ST's last time I was at Wal*Mart and couldn't see any pattern. Wish I could find a 20 mm 1.5 thread Ecore with a bypass.

They do not want to release any technical data on the filters.

"Charles,

We do manufacture the SuperTech filters and the A/C Delco filters as well. Although, we manufacture them to each companies specifications. All this information is proprietary to them. I have no access to release specific specifications on their products. I can tell you the SuperTech filters are a very good filter for the money. They will have very similar design, and both do use a premium media. We manufacture approximately 20 different brands of filters here, and the Supertech filters are one that I do use on my own vehicle, and never had any issues with them. The SuperTech filters do meet the specifications of the OE filters that they are intended for. Sorry I couldn't be of further help, but let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.

Bob Buckman
Tech Rep
Champion Labs
1-800-882-0890"

Originally Posted By: labman
Ecore/non ecore seems to be a random thing. You would think all the old stock would be long gone. I went through a bunch of ST's last time I was at Wal*Mart and couldn't see any pattern. Wish I could find a 20 mm 1.5 thread Ecore with a bypass.

At least for the AC Delcos, the PF46/47/48s are still the original design unless you buy them in bulk (master pack), then you get the E-cores. Every time I have the oil changed at my Chevy dealer, I get an E-core AC Delco.

I think the board has under reacted to River Rats reports of the Wix filters he cut open leaking. Just when I was thinking about paying the extra for one to get away from dome end bypasses.

Were the WIX filters leaking through the bypass valve? I don't recall if anyone determined the leak source.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

A quick question. If you ate some food, that made you nasty sick... would you eat some more of it a second time... just to be sure of it?

21.gif

For the record, I had one AC Delco left and decided to use it up hoping the first was a fluke. To answer your question, [censored], no I wouldn't eat the food twice, but food and oil filters are not the same.

River Rat said between the end cap and media. They were disassembled and the bypass removed.
That's correct. During a bubble point test, they were blowing bubbles like mad before the media began to fizz out. Bubbling was at the juncture between the threaded side end caps and the media.
That indicates a leak and not media pore size. All three I had did this. (One was a NAPA Gold)

This would account for some non-repeatability in the WIX dirt filtration tests I ran. Often very good, sometimes mediocre with the same elements.
Sometimes the oil level in the tests did not quite reach the top end cap.

Still, maybe look at it this way labman--not that leaks are good for the overall filtration--but what are the chances that the same given piece of bearing wearing dirt going around in your oil is going to hit the leaky spot more than once before getting forever trapped in the media?
I figure all the dirty oil has to hit that media pretty soon--and the media is pretty good.

Since it's not a biotech or medical application, WIX is still on my own personal buy list.
And it could have been a production bad run.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back