what oil for impact wrench hammercase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried air tool oil but got a lot of metal particles in a very short period of time, I think I need something that is better suited to EP conditions. Right now I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 and I think it may be robbing a bit of power from the gun.
anyone have any advice to lend?

I not talking about the oil you run through the air fitting, I'm talking about the stuff that goes in the hammer case.

I was actually just pondering the same thing. I thought that grease was the correct product in this case? But, what type of grease to use...? I used to work in a shop that had the small grease gun from the Mac dealer and I just used this maybe once a month without giving thought as to what type of grease was required.

Last edited:
I do what ksJoe does, whatever is handy. Right now it's Mobil 1 ATF, because I had an extra quart that I'd never use otherwise. I think ANY type of lubrication for air tools is going to give it a long long life. I know plenty of mechanics that don't filter or regulate their air supply, and don't put anything at all in their impact wrenches. Not the way I like to do it, but it works fine for them.

Originally Posted By: XJ1100
I was actually just pondering the same thing. I thought that grease was the correct product in this case? But, what type of grease to use...? I used to work in a shop that had the small grease gun from the Mac dealer and I just used this maybe once a month without giving thought as to what type of grease was required.

Some Impact tools use grease, my IR Titanium guns use a grease kit made by IR that contains a grease gun and very thin (I think #00) grease. Don't over grease your gun BTW, It will reduce torque output significantly, you only need about 4 squirts from one of those little grease guns every 48 consecutive hours of operation.

My AirCat tools have an oil bath system. It doesnt usually need regular maintenance but I needed to open up the gun for a repair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back