SAFE AUTO is nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed up for car insurance with Safe Auto about 2 years ago because they gave me the lowest quote when I shopped around. I was tight for dough at the time, so I took their monthly payment plan, which costs an extra ten bucks per month, or $60 for the 6 month policy, but I didn't care at the time.

So 6 months ago when I renewed my policy I told them I wanted to pay the full 6 month premium in order to avoid the extra service charges each month. They said OK and then asked for ten bucks more than the 6 month premium, stating that they had to charge the extra ten because they had sent me the bill for the first installment and that if I wanted to pay in full, I should have told them prior to getting billed. I told them that that was ridiculous, as paying the bill in full is not an "installment," and they would still need to bill a customer at least when a new policy period began. I told them that billing a customer is an overhead expense that is supposed to be included in the bill, not added to it.

Well, we argued and I got escalated to a "manager", etc., with them still insisting that I must pay the extra fee. Finally, I told them to stuff it and cancel my policy, and they caved in and said they would make a special exception for me since I was a good customer and that they would switch me from "installment" billing to "one-time" billing for my next policy cycle.

So I just got my bill for the next 6 months, and they have done the same thing again, added in an extra ten bucks. I just spent a half hour arguing with them again, with them using the same story they used 6 months ago. Again I had to threaten to cancel the policy if they insisted on the fee, and they caved in again, saying they would make a "special exception."

It is an insult to my intelligence to have some company tell me that they are charging me a fee for billing me for their services. What if I did cancel? Would they expect me to pay them ten bucks since I got their bill? I'm sorry for this rant, but these people are idiots or crooks. If they weren't so cheap, I would blow them off. Has anyone else gotten this treatment from them?

$60 for six months?! That is very cheap! But yea, companies are always trying to pull a fast one with these "fees".

$10X6months = $60 extra to pay monthly
33.gif

There are places to shop around and get the cheapest possible, insurance isn't one of those places. IMHO :)

How do you think you might be treated if you have a claim? Or God forbid, are sued by someone?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

There are places to shop around and get the cheapest possible, insurance isn't one of those places. IMHO :)

How do you think you might be treated if you have a claim? Or God forbid, are sued by someone?

+1

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I agree, but that is another thread. At that point in time, my choices were cheap insurance or no insurance.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Tell em to go stick it and get a new company.

+1000
give them the boot up the arse.

It would appear that Safe Auto prefers to deal with folks in the lower IQ ranges (people who aren't smart enough to realize that they're being taken.... or just don't care)

Find a good independent agent, and let the agent shop around your insurance. A good one will be motivated to find you the best deal from all of the insurance companies that they write policies with.

I changed insurance to MetLife Home and Auto, ended up with better coverage for about 20% less a month.

Safe Auto targets a different kind of clientele. If you want customer service and a decent company you can go with Either Nationwide insurance or USAA. Once you have a claim then you will know the value of going with better insurance company. You may have to pay extra if you go with Nationwide insurance, but they offer excellent customer service.

You are absolutely right.
We have had State Farm forever on the house and the cars.
State Farm has bought two cars from me over the past five years, courtesy of my sons, and the amounts paid to me were at the high end of the value range for both.
The process was seamless and painless, as well.
After the second car, we did get hit with an accident surcharge on one vehicle for a period of time, but I can hardly dispute that.
After having two total losses, many companies would decline to renew you, so I am glad to have insurance with a company not inclined to do that.
Go out and try to get insurance with that kind of recent loss history!
I guess what I am trying to say is that the OP is now at a point where he can afford and should look into a mainstream insurer.
Safe Auto primarily markets to those who cannot otherwise comply with state minimum liability coverage laws.

I was rear ended while making a left turn. State Farm was more interested in seeing that my car was repaired as cheaply as possibly than in keeping me from being blamed for the accident. I have been with American Family since. Very good service in the one claim we had.

If you only have liability who cares what the claim service is like? You're not the one who'll be dealing with them.
wink.gif

I'm fond of Progressive direct right now. They renewed my motorcycle insurance at half the previous rate. (Am a new rider so they kind of stuck it to me the 1st year, understandable) They give a 10% discount for paying in full. I can deal with all the stuff online and not deal with the sheisters. They lay out a table of what stuff will cost in installments vs in full. They take credit cards and paypal (!) for payment.

Progressive is a horrible company to try to get a claim from. Ill never do business with them because of how they treated me.

Marginal insurance companies who offer lowest to keep you legal policies are catering to a sub-par consumer. Sorry, but can't put it any nicer. They are out to get you however they can, and for these sub-par consumers, they are the ones that pay most any company high fees and keep those income sources going.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Marginal insurance companies who offer lowest to keep you legal policies are catering to a sub-par consumer. Sorry, but can't put it any nicer. They are out to get you however they can, and for these sub-par consumers, they are the ones that pay most any company high fees and keep those income sources going.

Sounds like a bank with "free checking"...

Progressive is a horrible company to try to get a claim from. Ill never do business with them because of how they treated me.

And the only accident we have ever had Progressive was BEYOND customer service to us.

I think it depends who the claims adjuster is IMO.

But they really (and I mean REALLY) did us beyond for helping us. They paid extra for new tires , (Goodyear triple trends when it only had OEM bridgestones on it) Rent a car and made sure that I was informed twice a week on the progress of the repairs. They even met with me 3 times at the body shop (their suggestion) to show me how they were making sure the car was being repaired to be AS NEW.

I really can not say any thing bad about them.

Sorry to hear they you did get messed with.
frown.gif

Back to the OP. Kick them to the curve. PLENTY of insurance companies who will TAKE your money!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Sounds like a bank with "free checking"...

I'd guess so. Think about who are paying all the fees? Likely the same folks who are going for barely legal insurance.

I know these companies have their place, and if the OP was short on cash, seems the company did him well for the time. Now he has the capability, it seems, to move on, and I think it is time.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Tell em to go stick it and get a new company.

+1

Doesn't sound like a good company.....

Your were rear ended by a State Farm insured?
State Farm is not nearly as warm and fuzzy with third parties as it is with its insureds, who are also its owners, since State Farm is a mutual company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back