How often do you replace spark plug wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my 2004 GMC at 120k.

Mostly because they had never been off the factory plugs and I broke a wire...
33.gif

But my 392k Jetta has the original plug wires. 24 years old.

My 2005 Corolla has the originals.

1996 C1500 4.3l V6 with 270k has the originals.

And so on.

If the engine is working and not throwing any codes that could be traced back to the wires, I leave enough alone.

Take care, bill

On cars that have wires (lots of 'em don't anymore), I change them whenever I change the plugs. I generally keep the old set until the next change just in case I lose a wire until the next time 'round.

I ask the question, because a friend has said he changes his plug wires, cap, and rotor on his jeep every two year. I changed my wires cap and rotor on my grand cherokee 2 years ago and 40k ago. I typically replace the champion copper spark plugs every 25k.

I replace my spark plugs (copper core Autolites), distributor cap and rotor button every 20K. I replace the spark plug wire set every 40K.

You are changing them way too often.

With the unleaded fuel and fuel injection spark plugs last a LONG time.

I just changed the plugs for the first time on my hard used work truck @ 120k. They looked fine.

My Corolla just got the factory plugs replaced too.

Both run the same and get the same MPG before and after.

25k is WAY too often in my book. (and most others)

Just my 2 cents...

Take care, bill

PS:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Bill, doesn't your corolla have coil on plug?

It does.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I replace my spark plugs (copper core Autolites), distributor cap and rotor button every 20K. I replace the spark plug wire set every 40K.

I NEED to buy stock in Auto parts stores....
33.gif

Even "lifetime" plug wires will begin to have the insulation fail after 30-40,000 miles. Most of the answers are around 2 years. That's a good schedule.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
On cars that have wires (lots of 'em don't anymore), I change them whenever I change the plugs. I generally keep the old set until the next change just in case I lose a wire until the next time 'round.

I change the wires with the cap, plugs, and rotor. In the 88 E-150 thats about 35,000 miles. OTOH my 93 Aerostar is pushing 80,000 miles since plugs, wires, etc, have been replaced. I am wrestling with the thought of tuning it up now. I have platinum plugs in it, but I think 50,000 miles w/o a tune up would have been enough.

If someone can talk me out of it, I'd be happy to let it go until the spring.

Originally Posted By: Paul2007
Even "lifetime" plug wires will begin to have the insulation fail after 30-40,000 miles. Most of the answers are around 2 years. That's a good schedule.

I'd better go and replace my 24 YEAR old wires on the Jetta then...

Or the ones on the 1996 Truck!

Sorry, wires do not need to be replaced every 2 years or 30-40k. Millions of vehicles out there prove that.

Bill

Bill,

These guys are talking about copper plugs. 20 to 25K is a bit early though. I use copper in my 4 cyl. Caravan and there is significant wear when I change them at the recommended 30K.

Regarding wires, my biggest problem is not damaging them, it seems. Their internal cores are very delicate. If you get a stuck boot, you have to be very careful getting it off. My manual recommends replacement at 60K, which seems about right. But, I have taken other vehicles to 100K without problems.

Last edited:
if cracked or in bad shape, then they go when they need to go. If smooth idle is noted and there is no real variance in resistance from one wire to another, then they are good, IMO, and can be kept indefinitely. Modern Silicone wires seem to have good longevity.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I'd better go and replace my 24 YEAR old wires on the Jetta then...

Or the ones on the 1996 Truck!

Sorry, wires do not need to be replaced every 2 years or 30-40k. Millions of vehicles out there prove that.

Bill

+1 I see alot of frequently changed parts like this also fuel filters, air filters, tire rotation, trans flushes, etc.

I have 111K on the original wires on my Buick and 90K on the original wires on my Accord. Both have had the plugs changed once even though they were running fine. I agree with Bill in Utah on this one.

every 20-30k miles. My wires are about 6inches from my turbo and exhaust manifold, which is also tucked up next to the fire wall.....alot of heat is trapped in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back