How often do you change your diff fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanting to see the interval that you guys change your diff fluid. I currently have about 42k on Amsoil gear lube in my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am thinking about swapping it out on the next warm day.

Well when I lived in Georgia I changed it once a year assuming I did not do any pound or deep river crossing. For long life though assuming you are not getting water in it and useing conventional gear oil once every 2 years or 24K miles which ever comes first is good enough. Synthetics can normaly go 50K-75K with no problem if we are talking Redline,Amsoil,Mobil-1......I do not like RP and do not trust it to be honest I have had some issues with it that make me doubt their chemistry.I also will not use generic gear oil.

If you do use conventional gear oil you owe it to yourself to try Schaffer's gear lubes. They used to have one that had so much moly in it that it looked black when new and that was great gear oil for differentials not for use in transmissions. If you like synthetic I would recomend Redline as my first choice for gear oils!

I put Amsoil in at about 30k and it wont be changed until the Amsoil has at least 50k on it, or I get my gears/LSD installed, whichever comes first.

Our 1998 Chevy K2500 truck has 200K on the factory fill. They are not easy miles either. This truck towed 5 to 6 days a week its entire life. I may change it next summer just for $hits and giggles to see what it looks like.

I change every 60K on my 91 pathfinder with LSD. manual says every 30K miles or 15K miles under severe service. I use Amsoil 75w90 in the front and rear Differential. currently have 186K miles on the truck.

I was researching synthetic gear lube on the net and found a site that was about over the road trucks the big ones, the people that make thier trannys and diffs recommend 500,000 miles on synthetic gear lubes, these guys also give 750,000 mile warranty. Why are we worried about changing it so often. My 2002 GMC 1500 just says check it and top off as required. But my soninlaws Dodge 1500 its every 15000 miles.

We don't drive over-engineered OTR equipment made with quality components. Whats a decent car cost new compared to an 18-wheeler??

Preventive maintenance is what we have. 30k-50k change intervals every 2-3yrs is easy, cheap, and reasonable maintenance for any vehicle. All my fluids get dumped every 30k!!

If Ford, GM, Toyota.... would give me a 750k warranty, then I would abide by their rules. Cars are pretty much disposable and I plan on keeping mine as long as possible...2-4 times the distance/time of any lame automaker factory warranty.

My new Kia with my driving style/location, and with a 10/100k warranty, requires gear oil changes of 3yr/36k for the manual transmission, 15mo/15k transfer case, and 30m/30k rear end!
What does Kia know that the domestic automakers ignore?

At a bare minimum, I think it's a good idea to dump/fill diffs and T-cases at least once, around ~35Kmi. I know having done my 2005 Trailblazer that way and most recently my 2008 Santa Fe, you'd be surprised at the color and/or streaks/cloudiness in the factory gear oil. Like unDummy suggests, a ~30Kmi interval is optimum.

Joel

I changed my wagons rear diff. after 30k on the previous fluid. It was Valv. 80W90. It does have a limited slip. I started towing a travel trailer near the end of that interval and GM recommends changing it a LOT more frequently (< 10k miles?) when towing. I switched to Amsoil SVG 75W110 and plan to go at least 30k.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Originally Posted By: Chris142
But big trucks hold 6 gallons of oil in each axle and often have oil coolers too.

Some have oil filters as well.
The Kenworth T800 I drive for work has a differential oil filter only on the front drive axle, none on the rear. No idea why that is, cause if I was spec'ing out a truck, I would want a filter on both axles.

I think it is a good idea to dump the factory fill a little early. This is not because the fluid is shot - it is because gears shed metal when they are getting broke in.

Most synthetic gear lubes are capable of 100k miles. Change at 30k with a good synthetic and then go the distance on the next fill.

Originally Posted By: XJ1100
I think it is a good idea to dump the factory fill a little early. This is not because the fluid is shot - it is because gears shed metal when they are getting broke in.

Most synthetic gear lubes are capable of 100k miles. Change at 30k with a good synthetic and then go the distance on the next fill.

I agree with you, I plan to change the FF on my Ranger at 10K with Amsoil or Schaeffer's. Then again at 50K. After that, every 75-100K miles. For reference, Ford says you don't need to change the gear lube until 150K miles under normal conditions. No way I'll do that though.

Hi,
Bob Woods - Generally, I believe that a lot of differential fluid is simply wasted through over frequent changes! The move by some vehicle Manufacturers to whole of life (to first rebuild) filling of diffs started some decades ago. The rate of diff failures today confirms that this was a correct decision

With my cars and when sulphur based fluids were a FF, I would change it within the first 1k kms and fill with a synthetic fluid. That would stay there for 150kkms or 4 years! Now that synthetic fluids are the FF (and after my OTR trucks experience) it stays in place as per the Manufacturer's recommendations

Read on only if you are interested in OTR trucks

For heavy OTR trucks, I used the 1980s research and user experience from Eaton Corp. (a large US producer of Truck components) and my own with Shell and Euro trucks to convert mine to synthetics and 1m kms (620k miles) OCIs. My vehicles (500hp & 1650ftlbs) were changed over in 1992

Initially I followed the GL5 80W-140 viscosity requirement (even with synthetics) imposed on us here by Eaton in OZ. Ths was due to their perceived "hot weather" and "harsh" operating conditions

During the next 18 mths I conducted my own research and found that the GL5 80W-140 viscosity requirement was not only wrong, it could perhaps cause some component failures. The diffs never reached high temperatures (highest was 102C) and high shock loading most unlikely under any conditions. Via Eaton in the US I had them withdraw the 80W-140 viscosity requirement here in OZ and promply commenced using GL5 75W-90 synthetic fluids. There was an immedaite reduction in operating temperatures of up tp 20C

These lubricants were operated for four years or 1m kms. One million kms was usually reached at around the four years point and UOAs were used to monitor the lubricant's condition. In each case the lubricant was still suitable for reuse!

Most OTR trucks here in OZ are now FF with 75W-90 synthetic diff fluids - Euro sourced heavy trucks have been using synthetics for many many years

Honda S2000 owners do it about once every 15,000 miles or so, which is a bit earlier than other vehicles. It is so easy to do and so inexpensive, I do it once a year regardless of miles. Our small diffs are really small, and take less than 1 quart of fluid, it is a 10 minute job to drain and fill, I use Amsoil SG 75w-110. With a small sump I like to change it out sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back