Airhead on Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to run my 1987 BMW R65 on Castrol Edge Sport 25/50.BMW and airhead gurus are pretty adamant that these things should use 20/50...trouble is 20/50 is usually marketed here as a budget oil,for older or worn engines.Oh there is some good stuff out there,just takes a bit of looking.

The Edge 25/50 is marketed down here as a performance V8 oil - for big bore pushrod engines,for reduced camshaft and follower wear.The R65 is not really a big bore,but is a relatively slow revving pushrod twin,I think it fits the description better than old and worn out.

The airhead doesn't need a motorcycle oil,but I am using Silkolene Pro4 15/50 at the moment....just because I had some left over from my aircooled dirt bikes.The 15/50 is just on the edge of the oil specs from BMW for this bike.But in this climate we only see the temp drop bellow zero on a few cold mornings in the depths of winter,and I don't get out when it's that cold.Mostly I ride with temps between 10 and 30c....although a trip to the snow in winter is not off my list.

Nice bike. We need pics!!
35.gif

I have it set up as a streettracker and ride a lot of gravel roads.I have other wheels with road tyres and can turn it back to stock in less than an hour.Yesterday I went on a long road ride,with my road wheels and dual seat.I find the 650 works better in gravel as it finds more traction.

p8300195.jpg

p8300194.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back