ATF Fill Plug Location - 2006 Tundra??? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD. It was one of those automatic transmissions that does not have a dipstick.

It is supposed to have a "Fill plug" bolt on the side of the transmission, supposedly a 22-24mm bolt. I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know exactly where it is? Is it on the driver's side, or passenger's side? On the front or rear of the transmission? HELP?

Frank -

Many thanks - I already have that picture, but am still having a hard time finding the plug - probably because in part I am lying on my back under the truck looking up. Judging from the picture, my *guess* is that the plug is on the passenger side, near the rear of the transmission...Can anyone confirm?

for an "HD" vehicle to not have easily servicable EVERYTHING is ridiculous.

Glad youre making the effort to actually service.

JTK - this transmission has a special "check" plug that opens up to one end of a pipe that extends up into the transmission pan, at the point where the ATF level is supposed to be *while the engine is running and the ATF is at a certain temperature range*. So, it is rather tricky to get the ATF at the proper level. You are *NOT* supposed to simply fill until it runs out of the fill hole!

Of course, all this is a moot point if I can't find out exactly where the fill hole plug is :)

Also - hate2work - I have placed this same question on the tundrasolutions forum as well, in the drivetrain section. No responses yet....

JHZR2 -

I agree - I curse Toyota for not having a dipstick! The manual actually says no changes are necessary for this fluid, but I have a hard time believing this. I am approaching 60K miles, and I tow a small trailer during grass cutting season, so I'd like to change it....

FOUND THE PLUG!

Boy, is it hard to find! And I have to contort my arm around an exhaust shield/pipe to get to it. No way am I going to fill this while the engine is running! I plan to over fill it a bit, then use the "check" plug to "drain" the ATF to the proper level. According to the instructions, that's the way it's supposed to be done anyway.

Now, if I can find the proper washer for the fill plug, I'll be ready to do this!

Many thanks for all the responses! I received more responses here than I did on Tundrasolutions.com!

FWIW you can omit pumping the trans fluid in a quart at a time, if you drape a hose of the appropriate size over the trans up to the engine compartment. Place one end in the fill hole, and put a funnel on the end in the engine compartment and fill that way. I had some new clean washing machine water hook up hose. I cut the ends off, stuck a 3/8 piece of copper tubing in the end that goes into the trans, and used a funnel on top. I dumped a gallon at a time in this way very quick,neat,and cramp free. I also used an IR gun to check the temp on the pan, to adjust fluid level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back