World's Best Oil Filter Wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best is the one that works for you..... I have a simple band type for my Honda Accord and it works just fine.... I also dont overtighten my filter ...

Not sure If I'd call it the best. When my father had the PC status with Amsoil I was flipping thru some literature he had from them and stumbled upon an oil filter wrench that was "similar". I had him order it for me, in a word, junk. The one pictured is less costly IIRC and looks like a better design. But Best is a big word. JMO

Yes, it does.
At my old job, if I came across one that was really stuck on there, or I couldnt get a good angle with a band type wrench, that was what I used. Rarely failed to remove one for me as long as there was enough room. Only problem for it was the real small tea cup filters used on Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas. It can't really go small enough to get an effective clamp on them...
They are also kind of clumsy to get started.
Really if the filter is installed properly I can take them off with my hand, though...

These work REALLY well. That's my "go to" tool if a filter is stuck. Otherwise, I just use a simple oil cap socket that slides onto the end of the filter. As long as the filter isn't covered in oil and not torqued down by a gorilla, that usually suffices.

Oh, as a tip, you can remove that silver piece from it. It is still perfectly usable because the drive hole is 3/8", but it is shorter. As a bonus, the silver piece then becomes a great short extension with no ball on it for differential and transfer case fill plugs

Obviously I use my hand or hands if I can, but there are some that you just can't reach well enough to get a decentt grip on them. The reason I ask is that I have a couple of situations where I just can't get the band type to tighten, and it is really hard to get the pliers in there and then I can only get a tiny bit of turning motion. Plus, I never seem to have the right cap wrench at hand. The one I need is always the one that is missing. It would be nice to have one tool that would replace a bunch of cap wrenches. Right now I have four different applications I regularly change and they are all different sizes, plus two are really hard to get at.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Is this really the World's Best Oil Filter Wrench? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M96RVA

If so, I need it to replace my collection of the World's Worst Oil Filter Wrenches.

Really, does it work?
Nope.

The fingers are too small and poke holes in the filter as you try to loosen. Then you have a stuck filter making a mess!
smirk2.gif

This is the best for removing stubborn filters;

img0597s.jpg

img0598y.jpg

Bill

Is this really the World's Best Oil Filter Wrench? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M96RVA

If so, I need it to replace my collection of the World's Worst Oil Filter Wrenches.

Really, does it work?
I use custom cup types for the filter I'm using, but Have one of these in the tool box, use it now and then - tends to slip - I ened up putting a rubber band around the perimeter to get irt to bite better, See Next post for our friend Al's continued rec for BEST wrench ...

Bill just beat me to it! A Tip on the cup-type wrench - if the filter is just a bit too small you can put a latex or nitrile glove over the cup to give you a bit more bite - and add glove fingers in there as necessary to take up the space so you get a good tight fit.

Last edited:
Bill, what is it and where do you get one? Will it handle big and small filters?

Autozone for $7 and it works with filters up to the magic 3" mark.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Really, does it work?
Nope.

The fingers are too small and poke holes in the filter as you try to loosen. Then you have a stuck filter making a mess!
smirk2.gif

This is the best for removing stubborn filters;

img0597s.jpg

img0598y.jpg

Bill

+1 on this filter wrench Bill,

I have been using this style wrench for years.
I discovered it when I was working at a Toyota Dealership as a Tech.
It is the best as long as you can use it for your application.
Between this wrench, and the strap style with the swivel, and the dimples that bite this is all you will need.

Well the cam thingy from Autozone looks great, but it will only fit 2.5" to 3 1/8" OD filters. So in my case it will only work on two of my applications, but at least that includes one of the tougher ones to remove. Ideally, I would love to find one that would also expand up to 3.8" or so.

I also have quite a collection of filter wrenches including one like the OP asked about. I had a 92 4.3 Vortec with the filter in the front corner of the engine bay with no room for a straight handle strap wrench. The three claw worked good for that one. That was before the hinged strap wrenches were available. It does not work well in some applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back