For all the Canucks - UOA with TBN/TAN testing $25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it has already been mentioned but Addyguy pointed out to me a while back that Toromont's UOA does not test for calcium or boron.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it does... I don't have the report OVERK1LL sent me and he is offline at the moment but I will double check for you.

Even if it doesn't not a big deal anyways... More interested in Contamination, and TBN/TAN. Those are really what counts. Boron/Calcium should be related to the TBN number so IMO it doesn't matter if its not broken down into what they showed up as.

Update:

It looks like you are right but I can live without these two for the cost of the UOA compared to sending the sample to the US.

It will show up in the TBN number if those two are really depleted anyways so IMO it doesn't matter.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

CAT/Toromont is closer to me than Wearcheck and I can drop my sample off there too it turns out, so no added shipping cost.

As I recall if you do the bulk purchase from Toromont it includes the Canada Post expedited mailing service. This results in huge savings.

Recently I sent off a sample to Wearcheck using CPost expedite service and it cost almost the same as sending a oil sample by airmail to Blackstone in the States. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I should check my box in the truck. It had some papers with an elastic around them, maybe that is what that was...

cheers3.gif

Last time I bought the basic Toromont kit...it was $18, postage included. This is buying it at a T/C dealership about 10 mins. from my house.

The report does not show Calcium or Boron. If you ask for the TBN and 100C visc., they will give it to you as well.....just have to note you want it on the info sheet....

Originally Posted By: StevieC
...Canadians seem to get screwed to the wall with everything so a savings like this just had to be posted.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

The TOROMONT bottles come postage paid. You slap the bottle in the shipping bottle and drop it in the mail.

oilyriser: Given the recent Blackstone thread (that magically disappeared) about testing inaccuracies, I am willing to cut TOROMONT some slack. I can pick the bottles up locally, the shipping is free, and the price makes it a no-brainer. I also like the report layout. Also, given the majority of their clientèle (heavy trucks and garages who service them) I imagine they are pretty good about keeping their equipment in calibration.

Expect some mysterious sodium levels of a few ppm to show up in samples. The price is ok, though. I got a box of 10 back when it was $150 and still have some left.

Shoot... It's so cheap you could take one big sample and divide it up amongst two sample bottles and mail in two for analysis a few days a part and see if the results are the same.

It would still be cheaper than BlackStone.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
oilyriser: Given the recent Blackstone thread (that magically disappeared) about testing inaccuracies,

It has been moved, incorrectly in my mind, to the VOA forum.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
oilyriser: Given the recent Blackstone thread (that magically disappeared) about testing inaccuracies,

It has been moved, incorrectly in my mind, to the VOA forum.

Ahhhhhhh! I was looking for it!

I and other Canadians received an email from Blackstone today letting us know that from now on payment to Blackstone with a check from a Canadian bank is subject to an extra $15 charge.

Now I am a bit surprised that some of us pay by cheque rather than CC but in any event I guess this is another reason for some of us to use our local Toromont for oil testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back