General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running these? It looks like my rear wheel drive 530i will have to see some winter driving so I was considering these. They seem to get pretty good reviews on tire rack and the price is right. I can't "stud" them where I live but I also don't expect to put a lot of miles on them (2k at most). I'm also considering going to a slight narrower tire too, 215/60/16 instead of 225/55/16. Speedo will be slightly off I know. 61 mph when the speedo reads 60. Thanks.

Yes, I am running them on my Frontier. We've had no snow here yet, though. I can report that they are not squishy at all which is a relief because I hate a sloppy handling vehicle.

It seems as if there is a nice assortment of fairly cheapish winter tires that work excellent - I use the General Altimax Arctic on my
Dodge Colt, which is a 2000 pound car, and it feels like I am driving 4 WD vehicle, the grip and traction are excellent. 215/60 is an excellent choice, expecially if you are going through snow, the slightly narrower profile will give it that extra "bite". Up to 3% is still o.k., for upsizing, but I always keep upsizing to a minimum - 1% is much safer.

Last edited:
They seem great from what Ive seen.

I havent driven on them, but they were high on our list for my wifes mazda.

They have really deep tread, and good solid tread blocks. Sort of a functional old school design, with a modern tread design.

I'd bet they'd do really well.

I got a pretty crazy deal on these tires with steel wheels from tirerack.

$330 for a full set of 14 inch wheels with the tires already mounted on them.

Last year, I ran them in the buffalo winter, no problems at all.

Much better than all seasons.

Sounds good! The reviews say slightly less squirmy than other snows, a good complement to a beemer.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
I'm also considering going to a slight narrower tire too, 215/60/16 instead of 225/55/16.

I'm considering these for the 530i also, same size as you - 215/60/16 on a set of dedicated winter rims. I've got 235/45/17 for summer, and the Bridgestone RE960 A/S aren't very confidence-inspiring in the white stuff.

Gonna be $775 for the whole set from TR, including shipping. Kinda expensive, but if it's going to keep me out of trouble, then it's worth it.

Which rims are you going with? I think I'm going to just keep these on the stock rims and then get me some different rims in the spring. I'd like to find some M5 rims to put on the car if possible, since I'm 2-3 years away from buying a used one (M5).

I've got them on my Caravan and my wife's Alero.
I'm very happy with them. Tread wear looks very good on the Caravan and it does a lot of highway miles.
Bought both sets from Tire Rack.

Still plenty squirmy. But buying this type of tire, it is expected to have some give, however they are more stable than the Firestone WinterForce I have used before.

It won't transform the Beemer handling into say... a Crown Vic

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

It won't transform the Beemer handling into say... a Crown Vic

For me, it'll be going from 235/45/17 to 215/60/16, so it just might. :)

Crown vic like it was a baseline of bad handling...

Try a '91 caddy sedan deville That thing was a land yacht.. not on the scale of a '76 ford LTD but .. a 17 year old car(when i had it) with bad air ride.. I felt like I was boating down the interstate when I hit potholes.

You will definitely notice a huge difference. I did going from H rated hankooks to a T rated studless continental.

I think these are the tires I'm putting on my car for the winter season. Im a big fan of the looks of these, and plenty of good reviews. Now just to get the best sale price :)

I just put these on my 530i. $410 for 4x 215/60/16s mounted, balanced, etc. Drove about 10 miles on dry pavement, city & highway and I'm impressed. We'll see how they do in the snow now.

Now I can't wait for snow...

P1050375.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edvanp
I'm also considering going to a slight narrower tire too, 215/60/16 instead of 225/55/16.

I'm considering these for the 530i also, same size as you - 215/60/16 on a set of dedicated winter rims. I've got 235/45/17 for summer, and the Bridgestone RE960 A/S aren't very confidence-inspiring in the white stuff.

Gonna be $775 for the whole set from TR, including shipping. Kinda expensive, but if it's going to keep me out of trouble, then it's worth it.

That's what we're used to paying in Canada for just the tires. They're going to look good on your e39. Nice choice of rims!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back