Motorcraft vs. Pennzoil YB 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some group II+ base fluids have higher lubricating properties and purity than group III fluids, but aren't not defined group III because they fall just short of a VI of 120. Has to do with its molecular distribution (average molecular weight). For instance, the base stock for MC is a group II+/III blend, but the II+ base has some of the group III chemo-physical properties (full saturation, 60%+ paraffin content, 0% aromatics (highly important in terms of oxidation/thermal stability), and same level purity. But it has a VI of 110, therefore not group III. Not sure what Pennzoil uses for II+, but it is probably the same. Petro Canada also uses the same base fluid for most of their synthetic blends. You can get synthetic level performance from this type of group II+ base stock, according the Conoco/Petro Canada.

For 5w20, it is very important to have a base fluid with oxidation and thermal stability. That is why I believe most 20wt blends use this group II+ base fluid; at least MC does.

Last edited:
Everytime I used something other then Motorcraft in any of my 4.6 engines it uses between a half and a quart of oil between 5K changes...On Motorcraft it uses nothing...It really does seem Motorcraft is made for Ford vechiles...I am talking about 5w20 Blend and Full Synthetic.

I don't know, I've used MC maybe 3-4 times in all the Mod motors I've owned. I've never had any oil consumption issues, and if going by comparative impressions, I would say that Red Line is made for Ford vehicles.
grin2.gif
Nothing else I've used has even come to close to smoothing/quieting a Modular like this stuff.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I think if I lived in Utah, Bill would change my oil for me.
I'd hook you up!
thumbsup2.gif
(I seem to change everybody else's oil)

This is why this man is loved in these parts!

Last edited:
Off topic but Steve S I think there's a lot of truth to your signature. A lot of Japanese hardware is like that. Take even Honda lawnmowers. A cheap engine made pretty good IMO.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Either is better than Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
10-4 on that one!!

You guys should start another thread, "Mobil 1 Vs The World"

Originally Posted By: Johnny
PYB is not a blend. PYB is made from Group II+ base stocks with a good additive package.

MC blend is a mix of Group II and Group III base stocks with a good additive package.

I would use PYB for obvious reasons, but they are both good products. Flip a coin.

In some threads people have said that it is hardly posible to even make a 5w20 oil without having some synthetic in the base stocks? Is this not accurate Johnny?

Pennzoil YB = Group II+ only
Motorcraft blend = Group II+/III

Group II+ is practically Group III. Some Group II+ have better lubricating/purity properties than Group III, it depends on the average molecular weight of the base oil. The only thing that keeps some Group II+ from being Group III is a viscosity index of 5 to 10 less than the 120 to define Group III, which is insignificant in terms of performance.

Last edited:
well isn't the Motorcraft's GP-III only 10% of the total base oil and made in Korea anyway? I think I'd like the Pennzoil better...

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
well isn't the Motorcraft's GP-III only 10% of the total base oil and made in Korea anyway? I think I'd like the Pennzoil better...

I agree! I'll go with the American-made product, when possible.

Don't know the the proportion of Group III, but usually it is ~30%, but it could be 10%. Yes from Korea, supposed to be the very same very high quality base stock like Petro Canada. One thing I know about Ford is that they and Motorcraft are essentially one and Ford engineering with Conoco-Phillips Chemists/Engineers to formulate this blend. Ford claims to its dealers that the formulation is unique and will not honor warranty claims by dealers that don't fill 5w20 from Motorcraft. Ford doesn't take this stance with 5w30.

Having said that, the only thing that has come up in the UOA forum is that sometimes the same engine won't consume oil when it is MC but will when it is another 5w20 brand; including YB. Not sure why.

"Royal Dutch Shell" isn't American, but I do think they have a winner with their platinum synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Jakeday had a good question. Why would Pennzoil NOT make good advertising use of any synthetic in the YB?

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back